Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Question Ythan is good, but need some playing tips please.

Intro

Hello everyone, this is code cube. A little bit ago, I made a post asking for help with my Ythan deck. I got some great suggestions from all of you. And after some reworking, my deck has improved massively! (Especially after adding in Zealous Mystic. Thanks to Demnchi for that. Absolutely stellar suggestion!) However, after battling a few times and watching a match between two high rated players, I concluded that I might need to add a few more cards, or at least get some help. Allow me to explain.

Problems

Problem #1 | Moonstalker
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

This Wulven poses some issues. His ability is at 3 SE. And I've seen that most of the time, players will save up his SE so that his ability can be used more than once in a row. This is not good for my Ythan deck, as it depends on attacking the opposing hero for lots of damage. And there might be an opposing ally I might need to take care of. Really the only answer I have is Hunter's Gambit. Therefore, I was thinking of adding 1 of 2 cards.

Option #1: Nowhere to hide
    This is an attachment, so Zailen Crusader can make it cost only 1 resource to cast. And I can attach it to a hero or ally. But it does cost 3 otherwise. So I don't know about this one.

Option #2: Moment of Acquiescence
    This one I like better in terms of cost. It's only 1 resource. It does need to discard an ability, so if I did run this I'd only use 2, or if I really needed to, 3. But as a bones, it does deal 2 damage if I control a Templar ally. (I run a Templar Ythan build.) And draws me a card when it's destroyed.

I may not need to add any cards at all. Or maybe I do. If so, what do you suggest? If not, how should play vr Moonstalker?

Problem #2 | Nishaven
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

This lovely mage, which I have a deck of. Is a probably the most difficult to face as a Ythan player. He is good at keeping early allies off the board until he has 5 SE with cards like Fireball, Lightning Strike, Consuming Fear, etc. At this point, he wipes the board while boosting a Thunderstone Golem to 4 attack and 6 heath. After this, a Nishaven player can keep casting high powered allies due to the +5 resources they will have. And when Entangled Wisp or Voltar's Ring is played, I have no allies that can stick to the board. (The highest heath ally I have is at 5 heath.) To put it simply, Nishaven stops early play and has strong end play. Ythan has strong early game but bad end play if the board is wiped. I was thinking of running 2 General of Unaxio as he has 6 heath and can search an attachment. I also considered 1 maybe 2 Earthen Protectors.

So again, do I add cards, or try a battle strategy? How do I face Nishaven?

Conclusion

To conclude, I need some tips on either cards to add or way to play. Please leave your thoughts/suggestions.
    code cube
    Master of the Ythan Redthorn deck
    "Do not underestimate the determination of a quite man"

Unshakable Champion of Strategy
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm not a great player. I hope others can help you, either with play tips or deck tweaks. It may be that those two are just going to be difficult for Ythan.

Just a heads up, though: Zailen Crusader is limited in that her cost-saving only applies to cards that cannot attach to a hero. She can't give you a discount when you play Nowhere To Hide since it could be attached to the opposing hero.
    Least active member of: ETC (Ended There by Chance)
    Account for Gondorian to transfer Shadow Crystals to: m0ghedian

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by a player View Post
    I'm not a great player. I hope others can help you, either with play tips or deck tweaks. It may be that those two are just going to be difficult for Ythan.

Just a heads up, though: Zailen Crusader is limited in that her cost-saving only applies to cards that cannot attach to a hero. She can't give you a discount when you play Nowhere To Hide since it could be attached to the opposing hero.
    Your half right, if I attach it to a ally, it would cost 2 less. But attaching to a hero would cost 3. Good catch, I missed that one.
    code cube

Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Zailen Crusader is not supposed to grant a discount on any card that can attach to a hero, independent of whether the card is in fact attached to the hero. If it gives you the discount some of the time that seems like a bug!
    Least active member of: ETC (Ended There by Chance)
    Account for Gondorian to transfer Shadow Crystals to: m0ghedian

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ah, I see. Your'e right
    code cube

Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    did you know that ythans ability let you counter stealth? so you need just save your ability to when moonstalker use its ability and you do not need nowhere to hide.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by mindy View Post
    did you know that ythans ability let you counter stealth? so you need just save your ability to when moonstalker use its ability and you do not need nowhere to hide.
    So it can! Wow, thanks a bunch! That really helps!
    Last edited by code cube; 10-04-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    code cube

Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Haha yep Ythan is actually the best counter for Moonstalker So as mindy said if you save your ability for when he/she hides then you are set

For Nishaven, Homunculus Ythan is general good vs him. Entangled Wisp is immune to his ability (electrical damage), Packbeast and Fortified Wisp have damage reduction. Also Homunculus are generally good to buff attack so with your ability you should be able to punish Supernovas. Now if he also runs Homunculus you will have a problem with this build. Thus, you will need a mixture of allies. Most successful Ythan also runs some "fatties" like Nathanias, Viska, Brax or Eriss or Erika.
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by BP Holy Punisher View Post
    Haha yep Ythan is actually the best counter for Moonstalker So as mindy said if you save your ability for when he/she hides then you are set

For Nishaven, Homunculus Ythan is general good vs him. Entangled Wisp is immune to his ability (electrical damage), Packbeast and Fortified Wisp have damage reduction. Also Homunculus are generally good to buff attack so with your ability you should be able to punish Supernovas. Now if he also runs Homunculus you will have a problem with this build. Thus, you will need a mixture of allies. Most successful Ythan also runs some "fatties" like Nathanias, Viska, Brax or Eriss or Erika.
    Good thoguhts, but as I say, I run a Templar version. Shoud I switch to Homo? I don't want to if I don't have to.
    code cube

Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ok then for a Templar build is more tricky. I can see that your build is not pure Templar, but if you want to go with only Templar then the allies in general have high enough HP to survive Nishaven's ability (but not Supernova). Such allies are: Guardian of Unaxio (a must imo as he can work as a shield for damage), General of Unaxio (retrieves attachments and has high health), Knight of Unaxio (good ally to buff with extra attachments and use for Ythan's ability). Allies to consider: Zailen Crusader (for attachment cost reduction), Unaxio Bannerman (for attack buff and haste allies). As most of them require to discard attachments, I suggest you to check out the Location Sosilo Borther's landing. Although these don't necessary counter Nishaven's ability, I think they will give you enough attack burst to not worry about direct damage or temporary board loss.
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO