Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Question Tips for my Ythan Redthron deck?

Hello, everyone, this is code cube. Over the past few weeks, I have been trying to get a Ythan Redthron deck to be a good playable deck. (I like making a really good deck out of a hero no one really uses.) However I'm having some trouble getting my allies to stick to the board among other things. Below are the two versions of the deck I made. Please note: I would apperciate it if no one stole my deck(s). Although I can't really stop you if you wanted to.

Build #1 - Templar:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hero:
    Ythan Redthron

Allies:
    2x Aldon the Brave
    2x Zailen Crusader
    4x Guardian of Unaxio
    2x Sabreen, Hand of Unaxio
    4x Knight of Unaxio
    2x Aeon Stormcaller
    1x Nathanias, People's Champion

Abilities:
    4x Strength of Conviction
    2x Retreat!
    3x Hunter's Gambit
    2x A Legend Rises
    2x Ley Line Nexus

Items:
    4x Snare Trap
    3x Justicar's Cape
    3x Pride of the Mountain

Strategy:
    This deck's strategy is simple, to get Knight of Unaxio out. Then use Strength of Conviction or A Legend Rises, in combo with his discard ability and get his attack to 5 - 8. Then use Ythan's effect to let Knight of Unaxio attack twice. Dealing anywhere from 10 to 16 damage to the opposing hero. Then the smaller allies can finish the job. (Note: I know that Nathanias, People's Champion is not necessary just put him in there because I like him)

Build #2 - Human:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hero:
    Ythan Redthron

Allies:
    2x Aldon the Brave
    2x Layarian Seductress
    4x Zailen Crusader
    3x Midnight Sentinel
    4x Knight of Unaxio
    3x Irina, Guardian of the Swan
    2x Aeon Stormcaller

Abilities
    4x Strength of Conviction
    2x Retreat!
    4x Surprise Attack
    4x Hunter's Gambit
    2x A Legend Rises

Items:
    4x Snare Trap

Strategy:
    This deck's strategy is to use Irina, Guardian of the Swan plus Surprise Attack to attack twice and draw two cards. Because Ythan's effect and Surprise Attack's effect give ambush, I use Midnight Sentinel to boost the attack and heath of allies with those effect(s). I also use Knight of Unaxio because his effect still works in this deck. Zailen Crusader is used to lower the cost of attachments, since there a lot in this deck.

So, any suggestions? Cards to remove or add?
    code cube
    Master of the Ythan Redthorn deck
    "Do not underestimate the determination of a quite man"

Unshakable Champion of Strategy
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think with Ythan you need more cards you can proactively play on turn 2. He is very tempo oriented hero and you want to get on board as fast as possible. 4 Snare Traps aren't enough when going first. So I would add some Masked Bandits. Pride is also very slow card. Given the focus on attachments I would consider Treasured Heirloom. Also no reason not to run 4 Gambits.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    I think with Ythan you need more cards you can proactively play on turn 2. He is very tempo oriented hero and you want to get on board as fast as possible. 4 Snare Traps aren't enough when going first. So I would add some Masked Bandits. Pride is also very slow card. Given the focus on attachments I would consider Treasured Heirloom. Also no reason not to run 4 Gambits.
    Ok, so what build should I use?
    code cube

Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like these, I too like to build unique decks! I've got some suggestions for you, so lemme know what you think! They are just suggestions though, so feel free to ignore me. :P I also appreciate each card linking to it's wiki page, very nice touch.

Templar Deck Suggestions:

-4 Guardian of Unaxio, +4 Zealous Mystic: This change leaves Ythan open to more damage, but Zealous Mystic should go well with your deck and help you get the most out of Strength of Conviction and A Legend Rises. The Haste also leads to more control and can still be played as a 2 drop should you have no Snare Trap.

-3 Pride of the Mountain, +3 Treasured Heirloom: While I don't think Pride of the Mountain is bad for Ythan, I do think it gets in the way of your win condition (Attacking a lot with Knight of Unaxio) by blocking your Justicar's Cape. It should easily help with your draw. This also gives you more targets for Zealous Mystic and Justicar's Cape, making both more consistent.

-2 Aeon Stormcaller, +2 Zailen Crusader: With the Treasured Heirloom, I think she'll help more than Aeon would.

---

Human Deck Suggestions:

-1 Knight of Unaxio, -2 Aeon Stormcaller, +3 Zealous Mystic: This helps if you can't get Snare Trap out on Turn 2 and is super powerful with all your attachments.

---

About Aeon, I personally think he's a very powerful card, just not for these decks. They focus so much on attachments that I don't think you should slow down to play a big guy like Aeon. Instead, the resources would be better spent playing an ally and an attachment in the same turn, especially with the Zealous Mystics which I think are awesome additions into nearly every attachment heavy human deck.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi View Post
    I like these, I too like to build unique decks! I've got some suggestions for you, so lemme know what you think! They are just suggestions though, so feel free to ignore me. :P I also appreciate each card linking to it's wiki page, very nice touch.

Templar Deck Suggestions:

-4 Guardian of Unaxio, +4 Zealous Mystic: This change leaves Ythan open to more damage, but Zealous Mystic should go well with your deck and help you get the most out of Strength of Conviction and A Legend Rises. The Haste also leads to more control and can still be played as a 2 drop should you have no Snare Trap.

-3 Pride of the Mountain, +3 Treasured Heirloom: While I don't think Pride of the Mountain is bad for Ythan, I do think it gets in the way of your win condition (Attacking a lot with Knight of Unaxio) by blocking your Justicar's Cape. It should easily help with your draw. This also gives you more targets for Zealous Mystic and Justicar's Cape, making both more consistent.

-2 Aeon Stormcaller, +2 Zailen Crusader: With the Treasured Heirloom, I think she'll help more than Aeon would.

---

Human Deck Suggestions:

-1 Knight of Unaxio, -2 Aeon Stormcaller, +3 Zealous Mystic: This helps if you can't get Snare Trap out on Turn 2 and is super powerful with all your attachments.

---

About Aeon, I personally think he's a very powerful card, just not for these decks. They focus so much on attachments that I don't think you should slow down to play a big guy like Aeon. Instead, the resources would be better spent playing an ally and an attachment in the same turn, especially with the Zealous Mystics which I think are awesome additions into nearly every attachment heavy human deck.
    Thanks for the advise. I'll look into this. By the way, I have had a new idea for a new class. I'll post about when It's done.
    code cube

Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by code cube View Post
    Thanks for the advise. I'll look into this. By the way, I have had a new idea for a new class. I'll post about when It's done.
    Looking forward to it!
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree with Demnchi, good points!
    I would give Unaxio bannerman a try because you have enough abilities no make him useful, and he enables the perfect scenario (although it's hard to pull off)-haste the Knight and attack 3 times the same turn if you have justiciar's cape out.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by cargoth View Post
    I agree with Demnchi, good points!
    I would give Unaxio bannerman a try because you have enough abilities no make him useful, and he enables the perfect scenario (although it's hard to pull off)-haste the Knight and attack 3 times the same turn if you have justiciar's cape out.
    Hmm...I might give Unaxio bannerman a try. We'll see. Thanks for you suggestion!
    code cube

Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You can check out this Ythan for ideas, it's a good base for a competitive build: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....-(-340-rating)
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by BP Holy Punisher View Post
    You can check out this Ythan for ideas, it's a good base for a competitive build: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....-(-340-rating)
    Thanks!
    code cube

Greatness, Reborn