Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

New player feedback, questions, concerns

Disclaimer - I'm not a pro player in CCGs, I play for fun. I don't understand metas, farming techniques, or invest heavily. I play casually one or two games a day if that, maybe ranked play, maybe not. In other CCGs, not this one.

I want to like this game. I DO like the mechanics and flow of gameplay. But what I don't like:

1. When I first started, I had no idea what deck to choose or if I would even like it. I chose one, and off I went into a pretty dull (in my opinion) single player experience. I thought to myself ok, this hero isn't really my style, let me try another one. What? I can't? Why not? Do I really have to pay to try out another Hero? This is a big one for me.

2. How the heck do you earn crystals? It isn't obvious at all to me. Is paying the only real way to get them? If so, fine, but a little more explanation on the economy does wonders. If I feel I have to browse through forums and reddit and whatnot to figure things out, lost me already.

3. The deckbuilding aspect and UI leaves a lot to be desired. Are there rules of what's allowed and not allowed? It's not intuitive for me.

4. PVP, I was placed with a super ranked player to my level 0. Interesting, but I hope that's really not the norm. Where's the newbie queue? How do you set it up?

5. The Market shows all the pre-built decks you can buy, but NOTHING on what type of game play they offer. Some flavor text, but that's all. And I see male/female versions of the decks? Is there a difference in cards?

The new player experience was not that pleasant for me. Am I missing some obvious things?

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

New player feedback, questions, concerns

Thanks for this feedback. It's exactly the kind of thing we need to make the game more appealing for new players. I'm sure some of these can be remedied quickly while others might take a bit longer to sort. Can you put these into an order of how important you think they are for you personally please?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    In the short term we can get some answers onto the wiki if you think it's something new people might go to from within the game (it's under Help).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Thanks for this feedback. It's exactly the kind of thing we need to make the game more appealing for new players. I'm sure some of these can be remedied quickly while others might take a bit longer to sort. Can you put these into an order of how important you think they are for you personally please?
    Thanks for the quick response!

In order of importance for me:

1. Ability to choose a new hero and find your personal preference in playstyle without resorting to paying or grinding. Should be available from the start. Or roll it into #2.
    2. PVP - Newbie queue with pre-contructed basic decks to fool around with.
    3. Single player campaign. I don't expect a whole lot, it's a CCG after all, but a few branching paths and some interesting AI mechanics would be nice.
    4. Deckbuilding UI. Some more keyword explanations, suggestions, restrictions, anything to help you build a deck.
    5. Market improvements. Better explanations on what the decks are and what they offer.
    6. Economy.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    1. You can do that reset here: http://www.shadowera.com/content.php?143-Support-Tools, but we could mention it in game too!

"Reset Account - If you find you are not happy with your initial Hero choice, you can reset your account. You will keep any experience or Shadow Crystals earned, while all cards and gold are destroyed. You will be able to choose a new starter deck the next time you log in."

Anyone complaining via support@shadowera.com should be pointed at that as well.

I'll add it as a tip in the Waiting for Opponents queue now.
    EDIT: I've added it as a tip in the game now. Thanks for your help to make the game better!

I'll get onto the other answers later if no one else picks them up. In the mean time, if you want a bit of help choosing which hero to go for instead, ask in the New Player section and I'm sure you will get a lot of input.

p.s. Welcome to the game!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    To answer about getting new cards. If you are going f2p route gold is your main currency to buy individual cards from the merchant at the start. Crystals are more like premium currency, meant to be bought. In game you can only get them from levelling heroes but over time that gets too slow. You can win crystals by placing high on ladder and tournaments. So I would recommend looking around forums for what tier 1 or tier 2 deck you may like to play and focus on building with gold you get from playing Campaign and master it. Then try out the ladder and tournaments. For help check out some of the guilds and join Telegram groups.

Or to speed things up and support the game buy some crystals.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    You can win crystals by placing high on ladder.
    We just took that away, as we were given too much out. The ladder prizes are now all pack-based or card-based (all of which can be sold for gold, of course). Shadow Crystals are indeed meant to be the premium currency, but they have gone out way too easily the past six years.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Shadow crystals can be earned also by watching adds, though spending some money will be much faster.

To watch adds tap the flaming embers icon in worl map, after you choose a hero. You get an add every 5 min i think.

You can buy idividual heroes in merchant by unchecking the show only suggested cards filter i think.
    For now i sugest to buy some different class starter packs to find your playstyle.

You can ask for advise in here if you want.
    Last edited by Spartan; 10-02-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    Member of A1 family

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    If you are considering spending money, I'd like to give you a heads-up that we have some bundles aimed at new players coming in the next update.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    If you are considering spending money, I'd like to give you a heads-up that we have some bundles aimed at new players coming in the next update.
    I actually was considering spending some money for variety, so thank you for telling me! When is the next update?

And thanks also for the link to the reset. Put that in the game!

Any answers on how to play others on the beginner level?