Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41
  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    21
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    I like the idea of having 3 difficulty modes, but most of them are not much different. You just throw some starting creatures there. I think it would be better if you alter the decks for each difficulty, and have smarter AI each difficulty level, instead of violating the rules of the game where they start with 3 creatures on the board and weapons. Currently about half the matches have no affect even with the initial board load, and a select few matches pretty much require a custom deck to beat. There are several missions that require you to draw a 1-resource ally, or you lose by turn 3. Some of the missions are almost impossible now, unless you customize your deck and draw the perfect hand.

    For instance, Jericho's 9th match, against darkclaw, it's extremely hard to even beat normal mode, since it starts with 2 pack wolves, and draws pack wolves every single hand, and also has What Big Teeth. At turn 4 it puts on speed strike and uses its hero ability, so you're basically looking at 21 damage just on turn 4 alone. It takes a very specific deck to beat that. Once you clear out the initial onslaught of pack wolves, it's no different than easy mode.

    Actually in general, Jericho's campaign is way harder than the other heroes. Look at Jericho's 2nd mission on hard mode. It starts with an Eastroad Bandit, Winthill Assailer, and Brigand Captain. You cannot use a hero that costs less than 4 resources, or that has less than 5 health, until you deal with all 3 of them. And you're taking potentially 6 damage per turn to your hero, meaning you have basically 5 turns to deal with these 3 + whatever else gets put on the board. Retreat is basically required on turn 2, that reduces the requirement to 4 or less HP required for allies, which is more doable. It still requires some custom deck building, and a lucky draw to deal with. I haven't seen another hero with that deadly of a start so far, and there are 3-4 different missions for Jericho like this, all on the first map.

    I like the idea of leaving the crappy pre-10/18 AI for EASY mode. Normal mode should have no creatures, but the new AI post-10/18. Hard mode should have a well tuned deck or a themed deck. The decks need to be built to go beyond turn 4-5. There are basically no cards that cost more than 3 in the majority of all the decks across every single campaign (outside of what starts on the board). This means once you get a fattie on the board, you win. It would be interesting to play against decks built on milling, or returning creatures from the graveyard. It would get less monotonous.

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    21
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    take this with a grain of salt because i haven't played much of the new AI to see how it is. Seems much better though.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    33
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kynikos View Post
    I like the idea of having 3 difficulty modes, but most of them are not much different. You just throw some starting creatures there. I think it would be better if you alter the decks for each difficulty, and have smarter AI each difficulty level, instead of violating the rules of the game where they start with 3 creatures on the board and weapons. Currently about half the matches have no affect even with the initial board load, and a select few matches pretty much require a custom deck to beat. There are several missions that require you to draw a 1-resource ally, or you lose by turn 3. Some of the missions are almost impossible now, unless you customize your deck and draw the perfect hand.

    For instance, Jericho's 9th match, against darkclaw, it's extremely hard to even beat normal mode, since it starts with 2 pack wolves, and draws pack wolves every single hand, and also has What Big Teeth. At turn 4 it puts on speed strike and uses its hero ability, so you're basically looking at 21 damage just on turn 4 alone. It takes a very specific deck to beat that. Once you clear out the initial onslaught of pack wolves, it's no different than easy mode.

    Actually in general, Jericho's campaign is way harder than the other heroes. Look at Jericho's 2nd mission on hard mode. It starts with an Eastroad Bandit, Winthill Assailer, and Brigand Captain. You cannot use a hero that costs less than 4 resources, or that has less than 5 health, until you deal with all 3 of them. And you're taking potentially 6 damage per turn to your hero, meaning you have basically 5 turns to deal with these 3 + whatever else gets put on the board. Retreat is basically required on turn 2, that reduces the requirement to 4 or less HP required for allies, which is more doable. It still requires some custom deck building, and a lucky draw to deal with. I haven't seen another hero with that deadly of a start so far, and there are 3-4 different missions for Jericho like this, all on the first map.

    I like the idea of leaving the crappy pre-10/18 AI for EASY mode. Normal mode should have no creatures, but the new AI post-10/18. Hard mode should have a well tuned deck or a themed deck. The decks need to be built to go beyond turn 4-5. There are basically no cards that cost more than 3 in the majority of all the decks across every single campaign (outside of what starts on the board). This means once you get a fattie on the board, you win. It would be interesting to play against decks built on milling, or returning creatures from the graveyard. It would get less monotonous.
    Agree 100% I'm stuck on Ele three stars with Jericho I cannot seem to get by the spark onslaught even with groundshift Ele just uses his ability on a flayer and kills whatever I bring out. Then next turn my Jericho is flattened.

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    13
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    I was cruising through Praxis’ campaign on 1-star without difficulty until I hit the 8th battle, against Logan. He starts with 2 pack wolves and crescendo. Seems like a huge spike in difficulty from the battles before. I will have to make a different deck to fight him. I’m a new (returning) player though, so I’ll leave it to others to decide if this actually needs changed.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Veles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    4,241
    Tournaments Joined
    29
    Tournaments Won
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jari View Post
    Agree 100% I'm stuck on Ele three stars with Jericho I cannot seem to get by the spark onslaught even with groundshift Ele just uses his ability on a flayer and kills whatever I bring out. Then next turn my Jericho is flattened.
    I recommend a deck with Rain Delays and holy shields to stall the game until you get to enough resources to play Tidal Wave/Yahari: Valley of Doom. You will also need some win condition so add couple of allies that hit hard. I like Rider of Ellos. Try to keep deck to minimum size for campaign, 30 cards, so your odds of drawing needed cards is max.

    I cant remember if this is the case for Jericho but on some missions Elementalis will play Shard of Power. In that case you can stall and then play Pillaging Arsonist to clear the board and also Brigand Captain as win con.
    Last edited by Veles; 10-19-2017 at 10:50 PM.

    Design Team Leader

    Check out this thread for some awesome articles and guides.

    “Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla




  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    13
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    General suggestion: I agree with the comments that the ideal would be for the difficulty to be determined by deck strength and possibly AI.

    My favorite single player experiences in card games are ones where you can use a similar deck to what you use in multiplayer. This also helps new players learn deck building and bridges the gap for them to multiplayer.

    Starting allies on the board is not ideal because it requires very different decks choices to beat, although I understand that this is an easy temporary solution.

    If deck strength is not enough to make it difficult, starting attachments or items might be a better solution that could give the computer an edge without invalidating some strategies like aggression.

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    24
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I think programing the AI to try to kill allies and use its ability as intended is a must.
    ...now that the AI actually attacks allies (which i agree with you is how it is supposed to be), the campaign on harder difficulties became plain unbeatable, not a challenge, but actually unbeatable

    i think now that the AI actually does something, the opening boards on harder difficulties should change to reflect the improved AI

  8. #28
    Senior Member Spartan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    162
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 3L J3FF3 View Post
    ...now that the AI actually attacks allies (which i agree with you is how it is supposed to be), the campaign on harder difficulties became plain unbeatable, not a challenge, but actually unbeatable

    i think now that the AI actually does something, the opening boards on harder difficulties should change to reflect the improved AI
    I havent played yet any campaing games after the last update but what you said sounds valid. Especially hard difficulty has some setups that might need tweaking now if they are supposed to be won by some variety of decks per hero.
    Member of A1 family

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    21
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    I've spent a few hours playing the campaign against the new AI. Couple comments.

    1) easy is still easy, it just takes 3 min longer each match.
    2) normal is now hit or miss. Some matches are easy, some are pretty difficult, but they're all beatable.
    3) hard is really freaking hard. There are about 4-6 per char that is easy, about 10 that are really hard and need customized decks, and another 4-6 per char that are completely unbeatable. I think with a really lucky draw and combination of super gimmicky builds, like rain delays until tidal wave, or Yahari: Valley of Doom, you might be able to win if you draw perfectly.

    It is a lot more fun to play against AI, but it also makes it really hard to finish the campaigns and farm gold.

    Any missions that are Nishaven that start with Crescendo on the board is extremely difficult. Any wulven missions that start with 2 creatures and also What Big Teeth is extremely difficult. Any missions against Serena that start with both ankle breaker, and Night Prowler, and start first, leaves you with no cards in your hand before you can even do anything about it. Most of the Jericho missions that start with an eastroad bandit + other things is extremely difficult. You basically cannot use creatures until the board is wiped, and by that time you're down to 10 or less hp. In general I think someone should take a look at every mission and decide whether or not it's overkill, now that the AI is better.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    33
    Tournaments Joined
    0
    Tournaments Won
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kynikos View Post
    I've spent a few hours playing the campaign against the new AI. Couple comments.

    1) easy is still easy, it just takes 3 min longer each match.
    2) normal is now hit or miss. Some matches are easy, some are pretty difficult, but they're all beatable.
    3) hard is really freaking hard. There are about 4-6 per char that is easy, about 10 that are really hard and need customized decks, and another 4-6 per char that are completely unbeatable. I think with a really lucky draw and combination of super gimmicky builds, like rain delays until tidal wave, or Yahari: Valley of Doom, you might be able to win if you draw perfectly.

    It is a lot more fun to play against AI, but it also makes it really hard to finish the campaigns and farm gold.

    Any missions that are Nishaven that start with Crescendo on the board is extremely difficult. Any wulven missions that start with 2 creatures and also What Big Teeth is extremely difficult. Any missions against Serena that start with both ankle breaker, and Night Prowler, and start first, leaves you with no cards in your hand before you can even do anything about it. Most of the Jericho missions that start with an eastroad bandit + other things is extremely difficult. You basically cannot use creatures until the board is wiped, and by that time you're down to 10 or less hp. In general I think someone should take a look at every mission and decide whether or not it's overkill, now that the AI is better.
    I agree I had to use very specific designed decks and get the exact right draw to defeat the AI with the Priests. I'm now working on the two CoTC rogues two star and three star. It seems some classes are going to be in danger just for the sake of having no board wipe.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •