Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Those of you who are aware I normally run the World Championships will also know that every year there is some controversy due to auto-wins, intentional draws and the tie-breakers used. (This is the main reason I never really want to be running it and have finally dodged the bullet this year.)

But rather than leave poor SamuelJ in the firing line for inevitable abuse, I've strongly encouraged him to not make the mistake I've done in the past by announcing the specifics of rounds and scoring and tie-breakers too soon.

Instead, there will be an opportunity before they are finalised for everyone who has strong feelings about how things should be done to speak up, so SamuelJ can make an informed decision and then everyone can please respect it. That opportunity begins today, so please let us know your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelJ View Post
    - For each region (Americas, Europe/Africa, Asia/Australasia), there will be a Swiss-style tournament (i.e. each player plays in every round).
    - You can only take part in ONE regional qualifier.
    - The specifics of games per round and scoring per round are not yet finalised
    - You must use one unchanged deck throughout the whole regional ("Decklock"). Deck checks will be done based on server logs to ensure this has been adhered to.
    - Maximum of 128 players per regional. Sign up ahead of time to avoid disappointment!
    - A sign ups page will be posted when the time comes.
    - Sign-ups close Friday 24th November at 10pm GMT+0.
    - The top 4 ranking players at the end of each regional will earn a spot in the Grand Finals.
    - The specifics of how tie-breakers will be calculated are not yet finalised
    - It costs 500 Shadow Crystals to take part in one of these Swiss-style regional qualifiers. The 500SC will be taken from your account automatically when you sign-up and no more will be taken after that.
    - All games to be played on latest version.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Each Regional and Wildcard gives out more than one invite.
    Ah I see, so 4 spots in total. Thats ok. Swiss would be fairly pointless for 1 slot since there isnt a real reason to keep playing if you lost a series what would probably create a huge amount of dropouts.
    IGN: BP AmberFade
    TG: @AmberFade

WotBP Trophy Room:Achievements
    Legendary Blademaster of Gaderi
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

World Championships 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by AmberFade View Post
    Ah I see, so 4 spots in total. Thats ok. Swiss would be fairly pointless for 1 slot since there isnt a real reason to keep playing if you lost a series what would probably create a huge amount of dropouts.
    Right. 1 spot could use double elimination (if single-elim is deemed not fair enough) but not really Swiss unless you do the cut to top 8 and single-elim like we do for Grand Finals.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Before I say anything else I want to thank Gondorian and the rest of the new staff, this game is looking more promising than ever. Love that you seek so much input from the players.

Last years tie breaker in the wc I didn't think accurately measure. It used some formula based on your opponents win record, rather than your game wins and losses. A tie would look at and rate your victories based on your opponents win/loss record. Which seems odd to be judged on something that you have no control over. My 3 wins and 2 losses were worth less than others because of other match ups. During tourneys people lose once or twice and just stop caring And drop or whatever. Why should I suffer for their losses?

Last year you would earn one point for each match victory. You got no recognition for winning a game in a match you lose.

So what I suggest before having to depend on that formula is simple, each game you win in a match earns a point each game you lose you subtract a point. If you defeat your opponent in first two game you earn a third point. All tracked separately from the win loss record. Only used for tie breaking. So if two people tie, you then count points from each match, tie breaking using this method will be judging that players games not that player's opponent's games.

Mind you this happened in the top 32 not in a 128 person tourney. I really suggest this for top 32, all player proved their worth reaching top 32, so saying one win is worth less than another at that high a level doesn't seem right.
    Last edited by Dvsklown; 09-30-2017 at 05:24 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvsklown View Post
    Some people sign up and forget. I suppose that's good for the 500SC we collect off them, but not so good when we are waiting to start and don't know whether to kick off without people or wait a bit. Look out for some Regionals news in the near future from SamuelJ!

Junior Member Kion the Magnificent's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Human!

Junior Member Vull the Insatiable's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Shadow!

Junior Member Kion the Magnificent's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ha! I defeated every one of your champions in your arena on Phaed. What makes you think that you have a chance here on Balor? Can you even remember how to walk?

Junior Member Vull the Insatiable's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Do you think I came here alone, Kion? Only a fool would choose to fight solo! My forces are already amassing.

But, don't worry. When the time is right, you will see me on the battlefield.