Close

View Poll Results: Do you think we should reduce max deck size to 80 + hero for Quick Match?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 42.86%
  • No

29 51.79%
  • Other

3 5.36%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Reducing Max Deck Size to 80 Cards + Hero in QM

There was a time when it was almost always right to proclaim that using the minimum deck size (29+hero and later 39+hero) was what you'd like to aim for.

But then the card pool has grown, the deck strategies available have grown, the number of draw cards has grown, the amount of redundancy (overlap) has grown ... such that actually you can go bigger and get almost the same effect as being super-consistent but you gained more options and more stamina and some other benefits too (e.g. avoid the pain of cutting cards).

I think we've all heard of the legendary BP ShadowMann and his 120 card decks that are very viable, in fact. He tends to use Rogue heroes for all their decent ally options, draw options and control options, but actually other classes have worked too.

Then, at the other end of the spectrum, are people who chuck 120 cards into a deck without that much thought, designed to cause games to play out as a kind of stale-mate until the other person runs out of cards. The deck does not even need to be a "stall" deck for this. It could be an aggro or mid-range deck. The point is just that you can get a good mix of allies and control cards and survive until the opponent who is running closer to 40-50 cards has run out.

We think it's about time this situation changed, and would like to propose we reduce the maximum deck size for "Quick Match" to 80 cards + hero. This still gives you the option to go between 39-80 non-hero cards, which we feel is nice flexibility. (Compare to Hearthstone, which only supports deck size of exactly 30!)

Note that the limit would be unchanged for Custom Matches.

What do you think?

p.s. This is not about killing off the "stall" archetype, which can run fine at low amounts of cards anyway. It's entirely about just bringing the amount of cards you can have in a Quick Match deck down.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would go for even lower card count.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    I would go for even lower card count.
    Other: I agree. I'd go with 60card max period.
    Last edited by jonmaciel; 09-03-2017 at 02:29 PM.
    IGN: TJ jonmaciel
    TG: @jonmaciel

Elder, Mentoring Officer

ShadowEra.Net Editor

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by starval View Post
    Other: I agree. I'd go with 60card max period.
    I think then you make Mill decks (i.e. ones that discard the opponent's cards) too viable.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    I think then you make Mill decks (i.e. ones that discard the opponent's cards) too viable.
    Praxix is really the only one that can do that effectively right? Even his most ideal deck setup for doing that is not easy to pull off. And it shouldn't be too hard to adjust his numbers if that becomes the only issue.
    IGN: TJ jonmaciel
    TG: @jonmaciel

Elder, Mentoring Officer

ShadowEra.Net Editor

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by starval View Post
    Praxix is really the only one that can do that effectively right? Even his most ideal deck setup for doing that is not easy to pull off. And it shouldn't be too hard to adjust his numbers if that becomes the only issue.
    It's not just that. Halving the size of deck people can use is very drastic and I think we should have room for people to run larger than 60. Just max copies of 15 cards comes to 60. Maybe ultimately we'd drop down that low and just be double Hearthstone (which is 30 cards and max two copies of each), but I don't think we need to go that far yet.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Would like to propose we reduce the maximum deck size for "Quick Match" to 80 cards + hero. This still gives you the option to go between 39-80 non-hero cards, which we feel is nice flexibility
    Why not? My vote is yes.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'd shared this poll to our chat group and few already voted. I think you should consider putting this on in-game announcement

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I vote no!!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    hell no, you can shorten the time limit players play, but reduce deck size is not making the gaming time any better.

Large deck has its' advantage and disadvantage. you have to build a deck that can deal with various situation that's the sprite of the deck building.

If there's only small decks and game done within 1,2,3,4,5 round. Every game is going to be the same. stupid as heartstone.