Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    When im rated 200 and I beat beat a 350 I want to see a massive increase in points no matter game count or match history.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quick Match Ranking/Score from September onwards

Just wanted to give an update on this as we are more than half-way through the month.

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for not sharing different leaderboards we have been experimenting with. I didn't want to pull them from the live server so they were coming from the slave server and a bit slow to calculate due to coming from raw data (prototypes don't warrant database changes) which prevented me from sharing the links publicly.

Secondly, I am pleased to announce we have what should be a decent system to use for October....

After trying various complicated systems, it turns out that actually just a minor tweak to the current Score system is all that's really needed to give a really great measure of player skill and performance: Score will only be based on your last 50 games played. Each loss will still count for 0 points (we had considered making it count for negative), since each loss from your 50 is an opportunity lost for a win and hence Score increase. At higher ratings, each win is also worth more Score (since it's player rating multiplied by opponent rating divided by 100).

Trialling this with game history for September correlated well with win-rate and rating (which everyone tends to associate with the best players), but this addresses the issue of people fearing a loss will cost them too much rating (hence them camping) and filters out those who simply don't play enough to get a statistically significant win-rate.

Your thoughts on this impending change to Score for October will be very welcomed. Feel free to still care only about Rating if you want but at least Score will now mean more to our top players. Meanwhile, we will not reset Rating at end of month any more (although we may "fuzz" it somewhat with a decay of the "confidence" element of the calculation).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't get about last 50 games. You said Score will be based on last 50 games, so theoretically, I could play 50 games on the last day of the season and still be able to get the 1st place? Or it is related to the rating system only...
    Dragon Council
    IGN: SD KOLODI
    TG: @kolodim
    Shadow Dragons

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quick Match Ranking/Score from September onwards

Quote Originally Posted by Kolodi View Post
    I don't get about last 50 games. You said Score will be based on last 50 games, so theoretically, I could play 50 games on the last day of the season and still be able to get the 1st place? Or it is related to the rating system only...
    Your Score will be based on your last 50 games.

It's basically a cap on what can be done now (many more than 50) and using the last 50 you did would be at your best rating if you are doing well and this is all about finding the best players.

You could try to do 50 on last day of season but you'd need to get higher than what everyone else got on their most recent 50.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    So basically now you may not worry about playing all days to max out score. Instead you care about good win ratio at highest possible rating for your last 50 games. Theoretically you could even play a couple of days at the beginning of the season, trying to max out your points, and then just do nothing till the end... Or there is some kind of penalty if you are not playing for a long time ( I mean for points not for rating)? One more thing. How do you track your last 50 games? I can see max 28 last games in history
    Dragon Council
    Shadow Dragons

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    So basically now you may not worry about playing all days to max out score. Instead you care about good win ratio at highest possible rating for your last 50 games. Theoretically you could even play a couple of days at the beginning of the season, trying to max out your points, and then just do nothing till the end... Or there is some kind of penalty if you are not playing for a long time ( I mean for points not for rating)? One more thing. How do you track your last 50 games? I can see max 28 last games in history
    Do you need to see your last 50? You will see your Score and where you are on the leaderboard and you will still see your rating. We could show your Score for groups of 10 games so you can tell if another 10 is likely to give more than the oldest to 10, but I think complete history would be overkill and lead to more people just trying to game the system instead of just try to play and do well.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like the changes.

They will give motivation to more people to play more games and in the long run will make score more important than rating since its what keeps the game healthy. Also gives opportunity for good players to get rewards without having to play everyday of the mont to get them.

I cant make a good educated guess why you came up for the 50 games number so if you can please share more about this.

"Meanwhile, we will not reset Rating at end of month any more (although we may "fuzz" it somewhat with a decay of the "confidence" element of the calculation)."

I not sure i get the meaning of this (bad enlish) but if i guess right i would like to sugest the following:

In the end of month rating resets like that:
    300+ to 300
    250+ to 250
    200+ to 200
    this way matchmaking will be more fair to newcomers and lower rated players, since they will face fewer powerfull opponents that just starting their monthly game. Hope this make sence.
    Last edited by Spartan; 09-24-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    Member of A1 family

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think rating should start from 250 for everyone
    Dragon Council
    Shadow Dragons

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think rating should start from 250 for everyone
    I could agree for the 250+
    Those below 250 should not get many matches with top players cos seems unfair imo.
    Member of A1 family

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I like the changes.

They will give motivation to more people to play more games and in the long run will make score more important than rating since its what keeps the game healthy. Also gives opportunity for good players to get rewards without having to play everyday of the mont to get them.

I cant make a good educated guess why you came up for the 50 games number so if you can please share more about this.

"Meanwhile, we will not reset Rating at end of month any more (although we may "fuzz" it somewhat with a decay of the "confidence" element of the calculation)."

I not sure i get the meaning of this (bad enlish) but if i guess right i would like to sugest the following:

In the end of month rating resets like that:
    300+ to 300
    250+ to 250
    200+ to 200
    this way matchmaking will be more fair to newcomers and lower rated players, since they will face fewer powerfull opponents that just starting their monthly game. Hope this make sence.
    It's 50 to be a reasonable number that would be statistically significant enough to get a fair measure of which players have done the best without requiring too many to manage. You'd expect 10-15 losses in there for even the best players.