Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Director of Development Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Shadow Era Federation presents Community Bloodbath

EDIT: I have since expanded the idea to something much much bigger (see here)

Hi, I'm Ian Bolton. Also known as Gondorian. You might remember me from such tournaments as World Championships 2015 and World Championships 2016 and the ill-fated All Star Tweakmaster Challenge ...

Well, now I'm back, to present to you what may well be the best idea I've had this morning...

Shadow Era Federation
    COMMUNITY BLOODBATH
    Entertainment Through Conflict

Believe it or not, despite the title, this whole thing began mainly about Enjoyment Through Collaboration.

Let me give you the rundown:

Community Deckbuild

For each of our heroes, there will be a Community Deckbuild. Rather than explain how that works, I'll just link to them:

Boris Skullcrusher
    Amber Rain
    Victor Heartstriker
    Gwenneth Truesight
    Nishaven
    Eladwen Frostmire
    Jericho Spellbane
    Zhanna Mist
    Lance Shadowstalker
    Serena Thoughtripper
    Ter Adun
    Logan Stonebreaker
    Banebow
    Baduruu
    Majiya
    Gravebone
    Darkclaw
    Moonstalker
    Elementalis
    Zaladar

Note that each build will be maximum of 60 cards.

Community Playtest

As each Community Deckbuild is completed, we will then have a Community Playtest for that deck, where people play the deck on the live server and report back with tips on strategy, suggested tweaks that preserve the heart of the deck and how much their rating dropped.

Community Bloodbath

Just as everyone is shaking hands and hugging to show mutual respect and love for each other's hard work, and comparing notes on their favourite My Little Pony episodes, we will flip the switch and go from Enjoyment Through Collaboration to Entertainment Through Conflict and launch ...

THE SHADOW ERA FEDERATION

(Think WWE/TNA but with Shadow Era Heroes instead of Superstars.)

Based on a variety of factors including involvement in particular Deckbuilds and Playtests, but most importantly their ability to play and portray that hero effectively for entertainment in-game and outside, 32 people will be selected to SECRETLY pilot each Hero's Community Deckbuild deck in a 32-player tournament.

These people could be existing players, "retired" veterans enticed back by the idea or new potential players that will need to learn the game to take part but bring lots of good character performance talents!

To add surprise factor, seek consistency and some deckbuilder skill element, the pilot may remove up to 10 cards from it and add up to 10 new cards to it for this event (it will be decklock throughout after making those changes).

Please do not publicly ask to take part or you will give away the secrecy.

To achieve the secrecy of who is piloting which hero/deck, all players will use a special account from thirty-two I'll make that each have the associated Community Deckbuild deck for their hero built ENTIRELY FROM FOILS and some gold to make changes. The player will receive the account one week before the event starts to playtest their deck. It will be named after the hero so the pilot can act like that hero in global chat and in-game to better portray their character.

In terms of the tournament, it will operate as a league initially, to then find 8 heroes to take part in the grand final, which will be streamed on Twitch and then exported to YouTube.

But the main point of all this will be Enriching The Community. And it will come in a variety of ways - through the collaboration on the decks and the streamed matches and stories concocted via in-game chat and the global chat lobby, and, most importantly, the performance of the secret players who are portraying the heroes.

Please note that this will not be official canon! If you want proper stories with these heroes, play the Single Player Campaign. This is meant to be just for pure fun.

To add to the entertainment, everything will be reported on ShadowEra.net, where we will not break kayfabe and instead pretend all this is real. Behind-the-scenes, SamuelJ and I will be working on the storyline that takes place outside the matches. (If you want to help with the stories, do let us know!).

When the Community Bloodbath is over, we will have found our first ever Shadow Era Federation Champion. Will it be Boris? Will it be Darkclaw? Will it be Eladwen? Who knows!

Community Prizes

Involvement in something fun like this should really be its own reward, but I like giving things away, so ...

1) There will of course be prizes for player performances in the Bloodbath. Players can play to win if they want or just play for entertainment or a mixture of the two.

2) For each match that takes place in the Grand Final, viewers will be given the option to vote for the Card of the Match (CotM) from all those Foils that were seen (since non-foils are the ones that were added). Whoever chose that card in the original Deckbuild will receive a prize. (If more than one person suggested it, then the prize will be split.)

3) Each secret pilot will be evaluated for entertainment value for how well they play the role of their hero and get more prizes for creating the most entertainment. They can have associated forum accounts too, if they want. If players wish to fabricate feuds before the event starts (through their playtesting or in global chat, then they can do so).

4) The winner of the whole thing will be crowned Shadow Era Federation Champion and will portray the champion in future events and storylines until they lose the title.

The actual prizes have not been decided yet, so I hope you will help to suggest some.

PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP BELOW AS I WANT PEOPLE TO BE SECRET!

Please do suggest prizes below.

Please do give feedback on the idea below.

If you think you can help in any way (other than playing a hero), please let me know. We could do with some graphics for the Shadow Era Federation and Community Bloodbath.

I'm happy to adapt all this based on your thoughts.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    great and fun idea! looking forward to watching/participating.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Awesome idea!!
    I really hope to see Ter Adun kicking some asses :P
    Shadow Dragons

SD Offspring

Founder and Leader of the Shadow Dragons Guild

"Sky above us
    Earth below us
    Fire within us"

Telegram: @shadowdragons
    Forum: dragons.altervista.org/forum
    Guild Thread: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....l-Guild-Thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I'll put some more Community Deckbuild threads up later today.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Love this idea gondo keep up the great work
    Member of the council of Supreme Knights

IGN: SK Legend
    Telegram: @SKLegend

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good initiatives! Will this be announced in game to lure more participation?
    Looking forward

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tolerance View Post
    Good initiatives! Will this be announced in game to lure more participation?
    Looking forward
    I think the streams will be, but we only need 32 players to pilot and I need a good feel of whether they are up to the task of playing the characters effectively for the entertainment value. So I will probably go with people I know already. Having said that, if anyone wants to PM me to offer their services in this and we don't yet know each other very well, I love turning strangers into friends.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Cool! I'm down to help in any way I can -- storyline, stream commentator, and possibly graphics depending on whats needed.

Questions:

So the secret player has to use every card that is suggested in the deckbuild thread?
    Also, will the final builds be copied and used in the Campaigns?

Forgive me if I missed those answers

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Curious, why not use the Hero Specific Starter Decks as the base?
    EveryThing Changes

"The difference between the possible and the impossible lies within a persons determination" -- Tommy Lasorda

Check out my decks and others at Shadowera.net. Shadowera's #1 Super Fan Site!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Buqs View Post
    Curious, why not use the Hero Specific Starter Decks as the base?
    Starter Decks are a nice introduction to heroes but doesn't show the peak potential they have to offer when compared to decks built by the community with everything available.
    IGN: TJ Starval
    TG: @Starval

Elder, Mentoring Officer

ShadowEra.Net Editor