Close

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    We have location almost 2 years and for know only 2 of them were op.Original garine who last for about 2 weeks and Sosilo in Zhanna.I agree that location is usefull playing 2 cards in one turn is allways a good thing,but only few location in some decks can be considered half of op.In all other situation they will be shit if they arent free.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Hello all. Would you call this game fun? or completely broken because of locations?

Quote Originally Posted by Dvsklown View Post
    Nah you gotta call people out. Otherwise they continue to think it's ok.
    True dat.

I don't think personal attacks are necessary. It's his thread and I played along in the spirit of casual discussion (despite quite brutal analysis) but suggesting locations are like a disfigured child is very offensive to disfigured children everywhere. It's not their fault and not their parent's fault either and they should get some unconditional love and also respect and also not be marginalised over looks. Being disfigured should not have a value judgment attached to it.

These Location cards I created are more like a Frankenstein's monster, made up of lots of parts and ideas from different places. I've never made an attempt to hide that I loved Decipher's SWCCG and LOTR TCG and I have tried to bring some of the best elements of those discontinued games to Shadow Era. Both had Site cards with text on opposite sides and the things you could do with them within a game led to great surprise elements. Like when a monster shows up without you expecting it. Sounds like Fristar has had a few too many monster moments that led to losses.

Beyond that, we've not been able to hook too much into them yet because they were originally meant to show up in LLp3 and therefore no cards in Part 1 or Part 2 were going to refer to them. So it's like the monster has broken out of the lab very early before having a chance to develop more and for the world to prepare for its arrival. We can't help that though (we are where we are!) so Locations as a concept are getting a bad reputation with some, when the concept is best judged once we get all of Lost Lands out.

Finally, we only brought 15 into LLP1 from the planned 20 in total so that's another real deficiency (unlike being disfigured) which is like the monster missing 5 fingers. When he can't play the piano very well, we need to keep in mind the missing fingers.

TL;DR: I would never claim Locations are perfect if there are people saying they don't like them and with obvious limitations described above. What I would like is for us to move towards some constructive discussion about how to address this 5-fingered monster that broke prematurely out of its lab!

To my mind, there are two things we can do in the near term:

1) get the missing 5 fingers on by releasing the last 5 Location cards ASAP.

2) help the monster and the world it has joined be a better match for each other. Which would mean having more cards that support said monster and cater for it.

What do you think?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    True dat.

I don't think personal attacks are necessary. It's his thread and I played along in the spirit of casual discussion (despite quite brutal analysis) but suggesting locations are like a disfigured child is very offensive to disfigured children everywhere. It's not their fault and not their parent's fault either and they should get some unconditional love and also respect and also not be marginalised over looks. Being disfigured should not have a value judgment attached to it.

These Location cards I created are more like a Frankenstein's monster, made up of lots of parts and ideas from different places. I've never made an attempt to hide that I loved Decipher's SWCCG and LOTR TCG and I have tried to bring some of the best elements of those discontinued games to Shadow Era. Both had Site cards with text on opposite sides and the things you could do with them within a game led to great surprise elements. Like when a monster shows up without you expecting it. Sounds like Fristar has had a few too many monster moments that led to losses.

Beyond that, we've not been able to hook too much into them yet because they were originally meant to show up in LLp3 and therefore no cards in Part 1 or Part 2 were going to refer to them. So it's like the monster has broken out of the lab very early before having a chance to develop more. We can't help that so Locations are getting a bad wrap when the concept is best judged once we get all of Lost Lands out.

Finally, we only brought 15 in from the planned 20 so that's another real deficiency (unlike being disfigured) which is l like the monster missing 5 fingers. When he can't play the piano very well, we need to keep in mind the missing fingers.

TL;DR: I would never claim Locations are perfect if there are people saying they don't like them and with obvious limitations described above. What I would like is for us to move towards some constructive discussion about how to address this 5-fingered monster that broke prematurely out of its lab!

2) help the monster and the world it has joined be a better match for each other. Which would mean having more cards that support said monster and cater for it.

What do you think?
    I agree, but I have to ask. Are you feeling ok? Haha
    That was a crazy analogy

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Hello all. Would you call this game fun? or completely broken because of locations?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross013 View Post
    I agree, but I have to ask. Are you feeling ok? Haha
    That was a crazy analogy

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    It's been a very hectic couple of weeks for me, which has definitely expanded the range of ideas that occur to me and lowered the barrier for me to consider sharing them, but I think the analogy fits pretty well.

Surely better than making a value judgment on physical appearance, which is not nice or fair or constructive.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    True dat.

Beyond that, we've not been able to hook too much into them yet because they were originally meant to show up in LLp3 and therefore no cards in Part 1 or Part 2 were going to refer to them. So it's like the monster has broken out of the lab very early before having a chance to develop more. We can't help that so Locations are getting a bad wrap when the concept is best judged once we get all of Lost Lands out.

Finally, we only brought 15 in from the planned 20 so that's another real deficiency (unlike being disfigured) which is l like the monster missing 5 fingers. When he can't play the piano very well, we need to keep in mind the missing fingers.

What do you think?
    I don't think 5 more locations is really going to open up deck making with locations to be so diversitized compared to before locations.
    Before locations I use to see people with many and constantly changing decks at high levels, now its just the same exact strategies with the same decks by different people. There's really little to no innovation anymore. I used to play games with opponents and say damn that's a good deck and strategy they have. I just don't say that anymore cause its always the same stuff now because everything is built around the same locations for the cheap wins.

If you come out with another 30 locations that all do different things so people can come up with new things that be better. But 5 isn't really going to do much. 5 more locations so probably 2 of them will be any good so maybe two new deck strategies well see.

Yet they will still be free to play which still goes against the fundamentals of this game. Free to play, no cost or barely any cost to get the advantage. Ignore the fact that it costs nothing to play a location all you want but as long as there free to play it just ruins it.

So yes 30 more locations that all do different things would probably help, but 5 I doubt will make any difference.

For the record while I got your attention, is the new management going to update the digital older cards? Bring them up to correct and current alignments?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    New Location ability IDEA's:

Ability 2Resource: Until your next turn all allies lose haste.

Ability 2 SE: 3 Dmg is randomly done to a ally on the board or hero.

Theres alote of stuff that can be placed out there in a general sense so that people can make innovative decks with them.
    The locations that have been made are very specific and not general enough for that to happen which is why there always used the same way over and over again.

One of the leading things that people love about this game is the way you could try anything and make anything.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Hi Fristar. Those are two very constructive replies.

Firstly I think I am going to need to write an article addressing this 0-cost issue with all the reasons why Locations cost effectively no resources and why they have the innovative Turn Number system for controlling when they can show up in the game. I started writing a reply here on-the-fly and it became huge and it's nearly 2am here, so I reckon making it an article that I can properly proof-read and edit is the way to go. Until that's out, can we agree to disagree on this?

Secondly, your suggestion that lots more Locations would be GOOD and you brainstorming some ideas is brilliant. Maybe you could start a thread asking for ideas from people? You seem to be good at getting replies!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi Fristar. Those are two very constructive replies.

Firstly I think I am going to need to write an article addressing this 0-cost issue with all the reasons why Locations cost effectively no resources and why they have the innovative Turn Number system for controlling when they can show up in the game. I started writing a reply here on-the-fly and it became huge and it's nearly 2am here, so I reckon making it an article that I can properly proof-read and edit is the way to go. Until that's out, can we agree to disagree on this?

Secondly, your suggestion that lots more Locations would be GOOD and you brainstorming some ideas is brilliant. Maybe you could start a thread asking for ideas from people? You seem to be good at getting replies!
    I could do that. But will it do anything even if there is a giant list of locations?
    Will cards start coming out faster with the new management or is this make a list and see it in a year type thing still?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    First post!

I dont like locations too. I think they are mainly used as build your deck around them cards and more often they lead to a cheesy victorie. I know that their use in competive play is limited but i dont care for that atm because im not competive player yet. My encounter with locations are very frequent since day one on SEs qm. I was frustrated to watch my board of low cc allies die because of a no cost card that i could not read what benefits give to my oponent in time because the description is written for the casting player to read properly. Other case is the wisp plus templar combo. Really cheesy win there.

I know that they can be countered, but that comes at a cost to diversity. Everyone carries a copy or two of groundshift because of those five cards. They take valiable space from the deck and 1or 2 copies of groundshift does not guarenties that you ll have one in hand when you need it.

I tend to agree with many of the arguments against them, posted in this thread and elsewere and i share the opinion that they give many benefits for the player using them at low cost. The space in the deck they take argument i think it has less "value" because its only one or two card difference from the player dont using them, because he has to carry the counters anyway no matter the deck he is against.
    Locations and stall decks in my humble newb opinion are the most anoying thing in the game a newcomer ( and not only newcomers) can face. Sincirely believe that their existance (stall deck and locations) cost the game some players in regular basis.
    My sugestion for them is to remove locations from the game temporarily, balance them properly and then add them again. Then they might add to the game. For now i believe they are more harm than good.
    Last edited by Spartan; 08-12-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    My sugestion for them is to remove locations from the game temporarily, balance them properly and then add them again. Then they might add to the game. For now i believe they are more harm than good.
    This is pretty vague. Which ones are imbalanced? Which are balanced?
    IGN: TJ jonmaciel
    TG: @jonmaciel

Elder, Mentoring Officer

ShadowEra.Net Editor