Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hello all. Would you call this game fun? or completely broken because of locations?

Hello,

Please watch and tell me what you think. Is this the fun game or the wow why isn't this fixed yet because I think its broken.
    Yes there are ways to stop it, but how many how quickly for every class. There isn't that many.

Fristar vs MazehMazeh

For the record, I think locations has done more harm then good to this game since they came out.
    Last edited by Fristar; 08-08-2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Mistype

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I like that you speak your mind on the forum. I wish others would too. But it would be helpful if you could elaborate to help us see where you are coming from. Obviously I will defend and promote the idea of Locations because I designed them and added them to the game, but I would also like to try to get to the root of what you think is wrong so we could simply solve that and now have even better Locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    I like that you speak your mind on the forum. I wish others would too. But it would be helpful if you could elaborate to help us see where you are coming from. Obviously I will defend and promote the idea of Locations because I designed them and added them to the game, but I would also like to try to get to the root of what you think is wrong so we could simply solve that and now have even better Locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think its mainly that the player gets a obvious advantage for the cost of nothing to place down. Yes they have to wait for a certain turn but this game is based on a sacrifice system of using resources or SE to play a card to the players advantage. Also once the locations are down there is very little if any cost to using most of them. Make the locations cost resources or SE would make it more fun to play. Instead of a T4 card do a Resources 4 or 2 SE to place down. Early game would change to where is it the right time to put this down or is there a better card to use. The free placement is what I think hurts the most, change that and see where is goes maybe.

I do love playing this game a lot, but I wish to see it better if it can be. Maybe try some new things with some ideas as far as locations go and if it doesn't work, well you can always change them back. They are digital cards.
    Last edited by Fristar; 08-09-2017 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think that saying locations are breaking the game is a horrible misjudgment. They are one of the only sets of cards that have cheap, unconditional, hard removal. On top of that, maybe 3 are consistently used in higher level play ( *If that... **In this game, this is a huge determining factor in determining whether something is breaking the game or not) I would contend that if one thinks they are that big of an issue, one is playing the game wrong. It's not like Moonstaller, where certain heroes just auto lose every time.
    Currently 53-20 in organized play for 2018

Black Templars - No Remorse, No Fear, No Pity

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    They dont feel like they are breaking the game at all to me. They are interesting to balance since they are free to play. Most of my decks don't use them. The ones that do - there will be situations they feel very strong and situations they feel very underwhelming. Because they are free to play, I think they should be situational when its good to use them and when its not.

In high level play, consistency is king. So I wouldn't expect to see many decks use locations in high level tournaments for that reason. QM is a different story since you don't necessarily need to have something that plays consistently. For this reason, players of past have always had a meta sheet for tournaments separate to that of QM because it will and does vary.
    IGN: TJ jonmaciel
    TG: @jonmaciel

Elder, Mentoring Officer

ShadowEra.Net Editor

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Fristar View Post
    Hello,

Please watch and tell me what you think. Is this the fun game or the wow why isn't this fixed yet because I think its broken.
    Yes there are ways to stop it, but how many how quickly for every class. There isn't that many.

Fristar vs MazehMazeh

For the record, I think locations has done more harm then good to this game since they came out.
    I've seen a few decks using brother's landing and aetherborn wisp this way. I think the balance issue lies with one of them (or both of them) instead of locations themselves.

Having said that, I agree with Gondorian. What is it about locations that you don't like and/or thinks breaks the game?

Quote Originally Posted by starval View Post

In high level play, consistency is king. So I wouldn't expect to see many decks use locations in high level tournaments for that reason. QM is a different story since you don't necessarily need to have something that plays consistently. For this reason, players of past have always had a meta sheet for tournaments separate to that of QM because it will and does vary.
    Lets assume they are consistant, would any of the locations see competitive play?
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am not a fan of locations in their current state. I think that with so few locations available, many decks just can't use any of them. forcing people to play removal. I honestly think if you added a shit load of locations that fit more play styles it would easily become balanced. If not a lot of new locations a few more with simple usable abilities to boost or draw or something. Then I would have playable locations to bury theirs.

The concept of locations obviously is to show places in this world, the intention I expect was to have the location constantly changing, but with so few options it just hasn't worked out. How about adding cards that force locations into play, or cards that shuffle the location. Give us locations that can be used and we will use them. We just need more of them and more cards that interact with them. Or even have all locations add draw one card when it's played, to replenish hands, hands run dry if I'm dropping a new location every turn and playing other cards.

If the locations are fluid and effective I can see them being a part of most decks.
    Last edited by Dvsklown; 08-09-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvsklown View Post
    I am not a fan of locations in their current state. I think that with so few locations available, many decks just can't use any of them. forcing people to play removal. I honestly think if you added a shit load of locations that fit more play styles it would easily become balanced. If not a lot of new locations a few more with simple usable abilities to boost or draw or something. Then I would have playable locations to bury theirs.

The concept of locations obviously is to show places in this world, the intention I expect was to have the location constantly changing, but with so few options it just hasn't worked out. How about adding cards that force locations into play, or cards that shuffle the location. Give us locations that can be used and we will use them. We just need more of them and more cards that interact with them. Or even have all locations add draw one card when it's played, to replenish hands, hands run dry if I'm dropping a new location every turn and playing other cards.

If the locations are fluid and effective I can see them being a part of most decks.
    I think more locations are good, but with Ground Shift, there is no reason to add more simply for the sake of covering theirs.
    Currently 53-20 in organized play for 2018

Black Templars - No Remorse, No Fear, No Pity

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by BT InzektrHornet View Post
    I think more locations are good, but with Ground Shift, there is no reason to add more simply for the sake of covering theirs.
    Exactly my point, more useable locations means I don't need to run ground shift, I can focus on my deck and not yours. I can also use many locations and your ground shift will shift it to the previous location. Options more options
    Last edited by Dvsklown; 08-09-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't like locations because of how it is. This is my opinion about locations in general and nothing is related to the op.

Location is 0cc but still costs a card so you expect it to be a tempo gain. Also it should be useful on the turn it's summoned especially since it can be used/taken control by opponent. That forces locations to become combo pieces for a short-term use and nothing else.

But then locations are somehow designed to give sustainable support for you. Some of them are designed so that you can get value over time. Basically, it's trying to achieve two contradictory stuff.

Locations are too drastic yet sometimes nothing.
    IGN: Kyltz