Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Exclamation Re-Addressing an issue concerning Necromancer's Shroud

Hello!
    I have been a long term player and fan of this game. I have noticed there has been a card ruling of the Necromancer's Shroud and how its function interacts with other cards. I have not always been in agreement with rulings for cards but I have acknowledged them as they are in the discretion of the developing team. With respect to this particular ruling however, I feel compelled to concur simply because the discription of the card does not correspond accordingly to what it does; it is misleading. This is the first time in years of play that I had witnesssed a card do something other than what it describes to do. The card description states: "Target Undead ally in your graveyard with cost 3 or less is returned to play readied, and it is killed at the end of the turn." This description does not ensure the condition that this armor must stay in order for the ability to take full effect. This is why I was taken by surprise while playing against it. By this description I understood that the ability is activated by the use of 2 durability and therefore it takes full effect unless interrupted by another card or unless specified otherwise (i.e. "While Necromancer's Shroud is in play, (2) Target undead ally with cost 3 or less is returned to play readied and killed at the end of the turn").

On the other hand if the above example was followed through, it would also obligate the player to refrain from summoning another Necromancer's Shroud on the same turn if they wish to keep their ally on the field. This would comply with an "all or nothing" response. Otherwise, it will likely mislead other players just like myself and enable users that discover this ability by coincidence to exploit it through misleading others in the same manner.

In conclusion, I maintain that the word choice in the card description is what is misleading. I have read the responses and arguments of the administrators in reply to previous posts of this concern and they do not justify that the card does not do what it says. Nevertheless, any further input or insight on the matter is welcome and greatly appreciated.

P.s. Keep in mind that the ability is what is bound to the ally. The bond is settled between the activation of the ability and the ally it affects. The card (shield) itself no longer carries a relationship to the ally after the ability has been activated through it: namely, the ability to resurrect and to kill together, not separately. Similarly to an individual tying someone to a time bomb. The time bomb will detonate within the time limit after it is activated regardless as to whether the agent who activates it is absent or not. Just my two sense

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Re-Addressing an issue concerning Necromancer's Shroud

Hi there.

It's not like a time bomb. The ally doesn't gain an effect that's bound to it. Only keyword passive abilities like stealth can be handed over like that and they are explicitly written as "gains".

All other effects stay sourced on the cards that mention them and if that source card goes out of play then the effect can't happen. This is so that at any time you only refer to what is in play at that time to understand what's happening.

To hand over a time bomb, you'd want to do something like attach a card to the ally or come up with a new keyword passive ability called something like "killatendofturn" and have the ally gain that so it can trigger at the right time.

Hope that helps.