Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Set Idea: Rise of the Champions

Rise of The Champions is a set focused on the awakening of new heroes, which are based on current characters within the Shadow Era universe.

The idea is to create a foundation for the continuation of the story, and almost a renewal of the somewhat muddy story we have so far.

The story takes place after Lost Lands, following the downfall of Balor, and begins with the awakening of 6 'new' heroes; Viska, Aeon, Eriss, Thaddeus, Howlfang and Dakrath

The reason for choosing these characters is due to the fact that they are all very prominent within the game, and it seems like the right thing to do to bring more depth to their stories. Completely new characters for the heroes could be an option, but using pre existing characters creates a nice tie in that will allow the story to both get refreshed and still remain coherent within the bounds of the game itself.

The idea is to tell the story of how human and shadow have had to set their differences aside, in order to fight a threat much bigger than anything we have seen before (what this threat is can be explored in future expansions)

Heroes

Viska, Bloodsoaked Warlord
    Human Hero - Warrior
    5se: Target friendly ally is readied. Weapons and Armour do not lose durability this turn.
    30hp

Aeon, Master of the Void
    Human Hero - Mage
    5se: Target opposing ally takes 4 electric damage, and target friendly ally gains 4 base health
    26hp

Eriss, Vessel of the Divine
    Human Hero - Priest
    5se: All allies are shuffled into their owners decks, leaving one ally with the highest health on both sides of the field.
    26hp

Thaddeus, Leader of the Damned
    Shadow hero - Mage
    5se: Until the start of your next turn, allies that are killed in combat are returned to the battlefield under your control with no abilities and 2 base attack/health.
    26hp

Dakrath, Grim Captain
    Shadow hero - Warrior
    5se: Friendly allies take 1 less damage and target friendly ally deals double damage to opposing allies until the end of your turn.
    30hp

Howlfang, The Moon's Wrath
    Shadow hero - Wulven
    5se: Until the end of your turn, friendly allies attack a random opposing ally when summoned
    28hp

Key Events

The rise of Viska

With her captain dead, and enemy forces continuing their assault on what was once a thriving military outpost, Viska feels a surge of power coursing throughout her. With every ounce of fight she has left, she raises her sword, and let's out a battlecry that echoes through the fields and rattles the battleground. The once retreating allies stand firm with Viska, and together they defeat the enemy forces. The stench of blood and death fills the air, Viska has awoken.

The Rise of Viska
    5cc
    Warrior Ability

Seek an ally with cost 4 or less and summon it at no cost. It is placed on top of your deck at the end of your opponents next turn.

The Rise of Aeon

Atop the highest peak deep within The Valley of Doom, we find Aeon. Now a battle hardened Stormcaller, he seeks an ancient pendant which will grant him control over the greatest power known to Balor; the power of The Void. Amidst the fog, with wind and snow battering down upon the tired mage, a glint in the distance confirms that he has found what he seeks. Pushing forward, he now stands moments away from power that has been dormant for centuries. With the cold biting at his every breath, Aeon adorns the ancient pendant, the purple gemstone in the middle begins to glow white hot, and Aeon's veins begin to burn with pain. The mage endures for as long as he can, the wind and snow now howling with force, as thunder and lightning crash down around him until he can fight no more, . The skies open, as a huge bolt of void lightning cracks down and grounds itself through the Stormcaller. Aeon awakes, the pendant fused into his flesh and the energy of the Void burning through him, he has been chosen.

The Rise of Aeon
    5cc
    Mage ability
    All opposing allies and heroes take 3 electric damage, then your hero heals 1 damage for each ally that has taken electric damage this turn.

The Rise of Eriss

Many people during times of hardship seek shelter under a higher power, and Eriss is no exception. A life devoted to the Divine, her stoic impression hides a desire to rid Balor of all evil, but acting upon it would be against the will of her God, for only a select few get chosen to be a vessel of the Divine. This was soon to change. An attack on the small mountain town which she calls home, forced everybody who could make it to seek shelter in the temple in which she spent many of her days. Frightened for their lives, panic begins to seep in, and the townsfolk grow restless, many of them turning to prayer in hopes for an answer from above. With the blighted and undead thrashing against the temple doors, it seems like all hope has faded. Eriss stands, and an eery calm fills the temple. The townsfolk look on as Eriss walks towards to now crumbling doors. Time seems to slow, as the attackers begin to pour in. A flash of light emanates from Eriss' soul, and silence falls upon the temple once more as the attackers are banished to the darkest pits of the underworld, and the town is safe once more. The Divine has found a new Vessel.

The Rise of Eriss
    5cc
    Priest Ability
    All friendly allies gain 1 base health, and gain steadfast until the start of your next turn.

The Rise of Thaddeus

Deep in the catacombs of Kiruth, the reclusive death mage practices his art. Determined to master the dark powers of necromancy, Thaddeus scours ancient tomes and runes, searching for a ritual of a foul nature to help him form an army. A dusty book, imbued with purple gemstones and dark magic, draws Thaddeus' attention. Page after page of writings in a text not spoken for many centuries. Compelled by his discovery, Thaddeus finds a page and reads aloud 'Kul Z'aak Rotaas Dus.'
    The catacombs grow colder, as the souls of the damned wake from their slumber, eager to serve their master. The dead have risen, and Thaddeus is their King.

The Rise of Thaddeus
    5cc
    Mage Ability
    Target friendly ally is killed. You may return to play up to 3 allies from a graveyard with cost X or less under your control, where X is the cost of the chosen target minus 2. Allies returned to play this way gain undead alignment.

More to come soon!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ross013; 07-16-2017 at 10:54 AM.
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Some really nice hero suggestions
    I like the fact that you get continuity with the current lore as you mentioned but then there is some kind of conflict between the ally and the hero version of the same individual, so idk. I think most of the hero abilities are not strong enough so 5se might be too much. The exception is Thaddeus which I think is already OP for a mage, since ability + Nova is almost a gg from T5/T6. I would suggest a slight tweak to include allies killed in combat only.
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by BP Holy Punisher View Post
    Some really nice hero suggestions
    I like the fact that you get continuity with the current lore as you mentioned but then there is some kind of conflict between the ally and the hero version of the same individual, so idk. I think most of the hero abilities are not strong enough so 5se might be too much. The exception is Thaddeus which I think is already OP for a mage, since ability + Nova is almost a gg from T5/T6. I would suggest a slight tweak to include allies killed in combat only.
    What do you mean by conflict? As in what the heroes do vs what the allies do? Or the fact that the heroes and allies could exist within the same game when you actually play the cards?

Also Yeah, most of it would need tweaking, I wrote it in work in between dealing with customers so some of it got lost in translation so to speak, but the general ideas are there. The point of this is more about the cards being linked to the story in a much deeper way, with the 'rise of' cards being an example of cards that are linked to specific events, or that expand on what we know about the character (like rise of Aeon showing how he draws power from the 'void storm')

Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    very impressive! perhaps some of your ideas, and those of others, will end up in a new set
    House Lannister
    "Hear Me Roar!"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross013 View Post
    What do you mean by conflict? As in what the heroes do vs what the allies do? Or the fact that the heroes and allies could exist within the same game when you actually play the cards?
    I meant the second, it sounds a bit weird to have e.g. a Viska hero playing a Viska ally :P But I agree it would be nice to see some allies as heroes (especially the unique ones as you have chosen)
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Updated: Added 'The Rise of Thaddeus'

Greatness, Reborn