Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Call of the Crystals, Second Vision (an errata draft)

EDIT: Note: this is not official. This was done before I was brought onto the board of directors and that clarification didn't need to exist.

A first draft of some balance changes to Call of the Crystals I worked on. None of these are tested since I have no reasonable way of doing so, but I had a few goals in mind:

1. Not to change too much sine the first set is pretty well balanced
    2. Not change any heroes because of how many cards that would touch
    3. Only nerf cards that have potential issues with them, the rest are buffs/rejigs.

Any card not listed has no changes or anything interesting to say about why it didn't receive a change.

Sandra Trueblade- 2/3 -> 2/4
    Her ability is fine, however her stats are simply too poor. Having an extra health point should allow her to see play in a few decks here and there.

Puwen Bloodhelm - No Change
    I think having these base line Vanilla allies is an important thing to have.

Kurt Whitehelm - 3/4 -> 3/5, Kurt takes 1 less damage from abilities. While there are 2 or more friendly allies in play, Kurk has +1 attack.
    Like Sandra, Kurt's ability is fine. He just needs a bit of stat help to bring him to the right power level for his cost. Cleaned up the wording to be less confusing, but the abilities themselves are untouched.

Erika Shadowhunter - No Change
    While she's not that great of a card, stealth can still be a powerful keyword, especially since having it naturally leads to a few synergy possibilities. Changing her could push her over the edge or prevent future stealth interactions.

Blake Windrunner - No Change
    Same Reason as Puwen

Katrin the Shieldmaiden - Ability Cost 1 -> 0
    The ability itself already has the condition that you can't use it again while the original target is alive. There's not much reason to make you pay an additional cost to it as well.

Marshland Sentinel - No Change
    While his stats aren't good, his ability is.

Tainted Oracle - No Change
    His 2/2 is pretty deliberate and tightly designed. Unlike the other 4cc allies, he's set.

Earthen Protector - Ability change -> When Earthen protector is summoned, Target a friendly ally. When that ally is killed and Earthen Protector can be damaged, that ally is returned to play with +2 base attack and +2 health, and Earthen Protector is killed.
    Allows you to choose which ally to protect. It does have the unfortunate side effect of him not comboing with Ghost Maker any more, but I honestly believe it would make him a much more suitable card.

---

Deathbone - Ability changed -> When Deathbone is killed, its killer's Hero takes 2 damage.
    His ability, while decent, never really mattered in the grand scheme of things. Instead, this new ability allows him to be a much more aggressive card, and even punish board wipes. Wanting him dead also synergizes with the Undead theme a bit better. Oh, and the wording helps prevent him from being used with Necromancer's Shroud and Chard Cowl of the Damned.

Keldor - 2/4 -> 2/5, Ability Changed -> 1: keldor has +1 attack until the start of your next turn.
    On the flipside of deathbone, this makes Keldor a bit beefier. Bringing his ability down to 1cc allows it to synergize well with Tombstone Beacon. However becoming a 4/5 seems a bit much, so I toned it down to 1 extra attack.

Brutalis - No Change
    Same as Puwen

Chimera - 2/5 -> 2/4. Is now a Humonculus
    He seems fit to be a Humonculus. I've lowered his health to emphasize that. I imagine he'll be getting at least a +1/+1 the turn he's summoned, so he'd still be at 5 health on average, but be much more of a threat since his attack could easily reach 6 the following turn, killing most allies in the game.

Fire Snake - 999/999 -> 1/2 Abilities removed: Steadfast, Haste, Always appears in Opening Hand, Cannot be killed, If Fire Snake is in your opening hand, you go first and none of your opponent's Fire Snakes in play or in hand have any abilities.
    He was clearly overpowered, a nerf was needed.

Bad Wolf - 3/4 -> 2/5
    This stat distribution makes his healing ability more relevant. Not to mention, most other Wulven allies at 3cc are at 4 health, most having 3 attack. Wildfang is the only 3cc Wulven with 2/5 and he's not meant for Wulven Heroes.

Medusil - ability 1cc -> 0cc
    I don't think this ability is worth 1cc. It's just what Medusil will do. I honestly think this small change would make her a much more playable card and see play in some aggro and control decks alike.

Dark Flayer- 2/1 -> 2/2
    He needs the extra health point to be in line with Dirk imo. Beyond that, it helps contest the board in a different way. There isn't much defender in Shadow Era, so it would be nice if the few cards that do have it could be played.

Carniboar - No Change
    One could argue he deserves to be a Homunculus, but I believe he's fine where he is. With good attachments like Relentless Savagery and Ellos' Resolve, he can certainly make use of his ability just fine.

Cobra Demon - 1/5 -> 2/5
    To bring him up to par with 4cc ally stats. The rest of his abilities are fine. I considered making his ability cost 0SE and keeping his stats the same, but with all the things you can do by activating an ability that costs shadow energy, I think the extra attack will serve more purpose, especially because he has defender.

Wulven Tracker - No Change
    Has a great ability and the Wulven alignment already.
    Last edited by Demnchi; 08-18-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    ---

Valiant Defender - No Change
    While not seen very often, I don't think the card itself is bad.

Crippling Blow - Added text: If Crippling Blow is destroyed, the ally it was attached to base attack is reduced by 1.
    This is to make it more in line with other warrior attachments. It's a classic, and its too easily removed now-a-days. (or maybe not, haven't played much since the Vermin nerf, if it sticks around better now, then no change)

Shield Bash - Changed text: Target opposing ally takes 3 damage and changes positions with the ally on its right, if able.
    To give it some new purpose with the upcoming adjacent effects. It's hardly ever seen any play, so why not give it something new and flavorful.

---

Poison Gas - Text Added: When targeting an ally, Poison Gas costs 2 less.
    This is to give it added utility in decks with this and Engulfing Flames as a sort of win condition. Plus it could be seen in more decks, I doubt it, but possible.

Engulfing Flames - Text Added: when targeting an ally, Engulfing Flames costs 1 less.
    Same reason as Poison Gas. However, there are actually quite a bit of fire synergies for shadow mages, so the cost reduction isn't as high here. There are other cards like Meteor Shower that already kind of do this better, but I think it's enough to justify it. Plus I see more fire synergies in the future for mage, but not really that many poison ones.

Arcane Burst - No change
    While not really seen much, if 1cc and 2cc rush becomes better, it may see a few copies n some decks.

---

Aimed Shot - Cost 2 -> 1
    Isn't that great of a card, and adding to much to it could cause hunter weapons to be a bit unstable. It's a bit too risky to change. If I would change it though, I'd keep the cost at 2 and have it do something when the bow breaks.

Into the Forest - Text added: Into the Forest is destroyed at the end of your turn if your hero attacked this turn.
    This is to prevent the current problem this card represents. It can no longer be used in such an abusive manner, but still allow your hero to become hidden.

Battle Plans - No change
    I think what this card needs is a buddy card that lets you draw the card from the bottom of your deck. Perhaps a change to Elixir maybe?

Net Trap - No Change
    I agree with GDC, people underestimate this card. It doesn't need a change. :3

Tracking Gear - No Change
    While it doesn't see play, I do think its a solid ability and could see play in an Aldmor artifact deck.

---

Inner Strength - No Change
    I considered a change for this one since it's kind of over costed. But when you think about all the other things priest can do with attachments, it seems to be a in an okay spot. I wanted to change it to compete with Treasured Heirloom, but perhaps that's not necessary as it would just increase the power of priests by letting them run both.

Plague - No change
    Resource destruction is potent in shadow era. I'd rather it see more support for an actual deck than make Plague any better.
    ---

Throwing Knife - Cost 4 -> 3
    Not much but perhaps enough.

Mugged! - Cost 3 -> 2
    Doesn't do enough for 3cc and being at 2cc makes it a much more reasonable cantrip/cycle card as well.

---

Full Moon - Added Text: You cannot play Full Moon if Full Moon was destroyed this turn.
    To prevent it from being an endless option for Moonstalker without touching Moonstalker himself.

---

Energy Discharge - No Change
    Considered adding an Elemental ally clause to reduce damage, but it already walks a fine line being a unilateral board wipe.

Soul Reaper - Pending, Heal reduced to 1 per ally removed.
    It's often been referenced as a problem card, and I kind of agree. But I think having this mass heal from your dead allies is still appealing. Other options include exiling all your Soul Reapers from your deck, hand, and graveyard so it would be a one time deal.

Shard of Power - Text added: When your allies are summoned, they are reduced to 1 health.
    This prevents all the rule nonsense this card currently possesses and makes it much easier to understand. Another options is to replace the health text with "when your allies are damaged, they are killed." Since that's what it is supposed to do anyways.

---

Radiant Sunlight - Cost 2 -> 3 Ability changed to: Target opposing hero loses 1 Shadow Energy and cannot gain Shadow Energy until the end of their next turn.
    To give it more purpose over all and have a counter to massive Shadow Energy gain. Also to note, this still takes away 2 SE since they won't generate any the next turn. Cost increased to facilitate its new strong ability.

Poor Quality - Ability Changed: While Poor quality is attached to target enemy weapon, it has -1 attack or when attached to an armor, it has -2 defense. The weapon or armor this card is attached to loses 1 additional durability when used in combat.
    This allows it to be more effective at getting passed the damage reduction of armors and I honestly think it now makes it a bit more of the human counterpart to Acid Jet.

Honored Dead - Cost 4 -> 3
    To make it more playable, and be a card for consideration in decks that discard allies.

---

Selfishness - Cost 2 -> 3 Ability Changed: Attach to target opposing ally. That ally looses all passive abilities and can't be targeted by its controller.
    Removing passives is a big deal so cost is increased, but I think its a big enough deal to see play.

---

Drain Power - Cost 3 -> 2
    Over costed

Urgent Business - No Change
    While this card is pretty bad, if more support comes for support cards, it could see a few copies here and there.

Extra Sharp - No Change
    It exists just to teach the attachment mechanic.

Violet Thunderstorm - Ability Change: Whenever a hero or ally enters combat with your hero, they take 1 electrical damage.
    To make it more proactive and be an aggressive armor.

Gravedigger's Cloak - Ability changed: Place a random item from target opposing player's graveyard and put it into your hand.

Dome of Energy - Ability changed: When an opposing ally's attack causes Dome of Energy to loose durability, that ally's base attack is reduced by 1.
    It's current ability is next to useless because of its defense prevents damage from the hero. I also believe this was the intended effect anyways.

Plate Armor - Dur 2 -> 3, Def 3 -> 1
    Give it more staying power.

Legion United - Ability changed: Your hero and friendly allies take 2 less ability damage.

Twice Enchanted Robe - Dur 2 -> 3, Def 3 -> 2
    Same kind of issue as Dome of Energy

---

Beetle Demon Bow Atk 1 -> 2, Dur 4 -> 3. Ability Change: When Beetle Demon Bow is destroyed by it's durability reaching 0, it returns to play as a hunter ally with 2 base attack and 4 health and no abilities.
    Makes the ally more guaranteed, but is weaker. Although, having the hunter tag makes it quite the foe.

Voice of Winter - Dur 4 -> 3
    To make it not as stally.

Sliver of Shadow - Cost 3 -> 2
    You're already paying a shadow energy (unless you're clever) so being available one turn earlier seems fine to me.

PFG3 Leader

"Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    pretty good ideas except no comments on mind control?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EveryThing Changes

"The difference between the possible and the impossible lies within a persons determination" -- Tommy Lasorda

Check out my decks and others at Shadowera.net. Shadowera's #1 Super Fan Site!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wow, nice one... I like most of them. Still not sure if remaking old cards is the way, or break the rule of "not strictly better" cards and release new cards with similar effects as old ones... We will see what new owners of SE decide.
    IGN: TJ Maskee - Proud member of Team Juggernauts !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    For soul reaper, how about leaving it with 2 HP but it can only effect the first of each kind of ally in the graveyard? That way you Limit the healing but you allow multiple uses of soul reaper in A row plus this interact better with eternal renewal

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    In the beginning the Universe was created.
    This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

IGN: TJ Segalion - Green Creatures from other planets can also go Juggernauts !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Shard of Power, I wouldn't mind having a self blow up trigger for like 1SE
    EveryThing Changes

"The difference between the possible and the impossible lies within a persons determination" -- Tommy Lasorda

Check out my decks and others at Shadowera.net. Shadowera's #1 Super Fan Site!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Buqs View Post
    pretty good ideas except no comments on mind control?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not really. I don't see any issues with it. It's expensive enough to take a whole turn out of a player and the opposing player shouldn't keep giving them a perfect target, this making it unoptimal to use MC as much as possible.

What issues do you see with the card? Maybe you could change my view on it.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

My net is out atm, I'll respond to you all, give me some time to out it together o, this phone x.x

@maskee:
    Well that was part of the reason for attempting this. I would like to be a part of SE's development again, or at least be the community manager again. I figured this was a fun way to show that, as well as giving me decent feedback since I'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to design. If I did this professionally, I would have taken the time to test each of these beforehand.

@segalion:
    I actually like that suggestion quite a bit. It would retain the ability to fully heal, but only if you ran many different allies. A decent condition imo. +1 from me

@buqs v. 2:
    I wouldn't mind testing a version of something like that, however it is a high risk rush card and an ability like that would remove a lot of the risk from it. It would become an interesting (if not op) item to elemental ravager decks though, so that has me interested.
    Last edited by Demnchi; 06-27-2017 at 10:07 AM.

PFG3 Leader

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I have a strong opinion that deathbone should remain as is. He is great in decks where you want to have as less ally (= many allies in both gy) as possible by t5. I don't know if this situation is needed in the current card pool, but he's got something only he can do in current design.
    IGN: Kyltz

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylt View Post
    I have a strong opinion that deathbone should remain as is. He is great in decks where you want to have as less ally (= many allies in both gy) as possible by t5. I don't know if this situation is needed in the current card pool, but he's got something only he can do in current design.
    That is true, his low health as a 3cc ally does make him easier to kill and allowing him to deal 4 damage to an ally that kills him could be very useful. This is what I meant by his ability is decent and honestly, I could see him staying the same. Honestly, now that you've pointed that out, its making me rethink a few of these changes and consider new cards that fit that role instead (for example, Radiant Sunlight could become a new card all its own, since there could be a situation where the other one could be better). Thanks for the feedback!

PFG3 Leader

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I just want to see shieldmaiden and Irina become warrior or yari allies. they would fit much better