Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Some thoughts on the state of the game

Thinking back to when I first started, and where the game is now, it's easy to see things as they are; This game right now sucks a lot.

Before I go any further I'd like to encourage you to read on before taking this thread as another 'game bashing' one, God knows we've had plenty of them.

This post is simply a view on the game from a players perspective, I'm not calling for change or hounding wulven for answers, but simply trying to create an open discussion about various aspects which I feel the need to talk about.

Firstly, the big elephant in the room for me is the world championships.

Even though the game is small, the WC up until this point has represented prestige, and has been the main drive for a large amount of players playing the game. Things have changed this year, however, and this year's world championship is being run by the players. Why is this a bad thing? Impartiality.

A worlds level event (including any tournaments preceeding it offering spots for the finals) is a big deal. The trouble begins to arise when you have people running something to this scale, who are part of communities that have a vested interest in winning the events. I am not making accusations or pointing fingers, but I'm simply making a point that, as humans, we automatically favour people we are close to in situations that call for a choice to be made, which brings into question any and all TO's and Judges who are running world level events and are part of the communities that are competing. Not only does it open up the possibility of corruption, but it means that people cannot compete without the thought that corruption can happen, which doesn't make for a great tournament which it should be.

Plain and simple, a world tournament should be organised and run by third party members of the company or organisation that owns the game, not by players who want to win it.

The next thing I want to talk about is the game itself and where I would like to see it go.

The first thing I would like to see is the addition of a rotating format along side the current format. The reasoning behind it is simple; to allow for less time balancing the cards, which is only going to become an increasingly larger task as the playable card pool increases.
    Opting for a format consisting of the core set (call of the crystals) and the 2 most recent blocks (the current format would be cotc, SF, and LL) would allow for a more rapid approach to card design, and also allow for balancing to happen naturally with newer cards being introduced.
    This brings me to how I would like to see future set releases.
    I would like to see 2 themed blocks of 2 sets per year, each block consisting of a large set (80-100 cards) and a smaller set (30-50 cards). When set 2 of a block is released, the oldest block in the rotating cycle (excluding cotc) would rotate out of the format, and then be playable only in the current/legacy SE format.

I would also like the introduction of a paid version of meltdown alongside the current one, in which players get to play for higher rewards, and also keep the cards they draft. Making meltdown a worthwhile activity and enticing people to spend money on it could be a good way of increasing revenue for wulven and aid development moving forward, this idea is based on the knowledge that draft formats are very popular in the top ccgs.

As we all know, a lot of focus is being put on the single player campaign, and the more I think about it, the less it makes sense. Yes it was one of the things that was meant to be in the game for a while and yes the community voted for it, but the focus of shadow era is multiplayer and the community based on that multilpayer. I think a better option would be to include an option to fight against a randomly generated Ai deck with varying degrees of difficulty for a small reward, and then introduce challenges or daily quests that span across multilayer and single player modes allowing players to get more rewards. This to me would be a better way of moving the game forward and give players a reason to play that's not solely focused on the newer player (which is what the single player campaign seems like, and can be introduced at a later date)

If you're still with me you're either very bored or have no concept of entertainment!

I'll finish by saying that shadow era as a whole is great, but a lot of things can be improved, and in doing so, the game can once again shine in all the right places, and become one of the best digital ccg platforms on the market. I encourage you all to voice your opinions here, but please keep it constructive!
    Last edited by Ross013; 05-20-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    who runs the wc this year? is it a1? because by your concern it sounds like a1 and in that case yes there will be corruption i mean just look how they are already corrupted with their members being moderators. sounds like just another rusty spike in the coffin and also sounds like wulven staff is low as evidence by the extremely slow development. and i also think meltdown should cost something. they did that at first so players with much gold had somewhere to spend it but than meltdown became free and i am again resting on a mountain of useless gold.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by mindy View Post
    who runs the wc this year? is it a1? because by your concern it sounds like a1 and in that case yes there will be corruption i mean just look how they are already corrupted with their members being moderators. sounds like just another rusty spike in the coffin and also sounds like wulven staff is low as evidence by the extremely slow development. and i also think meltdown should cost something. they did that at first so players with much gold had somewhere to spend it but than meltdown became free and i am again resting on a mountain of useless gold.
    My concern has nothing to do with any one guild. Please don't make it out that it is.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Right off the bat, I wanted to buy this game and completely revamp it. I believe this is one of the best ccg going to waste and losing player base everyday it seems.

I felt like they just took the kick Starter cash and ran. Games like Gwent,Duelyst and ShadowV coming out and taking over and I believed this game had the chance.

Players doing WC tournament just means to me that they are hanging on to a little net of hope that Wulven will get up and do something..but it's sad to say. This game is a wasteland now, I think they failed because they limited new cards coming out because of how good some of the old cards are. Making printable copies before they had enough sets out to see what needed to be changed is a bad design/idea. Which is why alot of games out right now stay online.

0 Updates..no real lores..no story..means no direction in the future which is why I think this game needs a revamp,updates,advertising done.

All this is just my opinion of the game I use to love
    Last edited by OImNewHere; 05-21-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    Lets be clear...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Also i'm all for rotating formats and the themed block seems awesome, but before that can even happen we need more cards to come out and fast..little sets of 30 cards themes, Random new 5-10 new cards every month to change things up. Put all your thoughts in the online version 1st before wasting your money on hard copies..thats just my thoughts tho
    Lets be clear...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Rotation, new cards,anything...i mean really anything. Two side communications.Not like waiting answers from ghosts.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertzy View Post
    Rotation, new cards,anything...i mean really anything. Two side communications.Not like waiting answers from ghosts.
    I hear ya...I know players are tired of the damn answer SOON..and now there's nobody even around to get updates from. I believe nothing is being worked on tbh..that's just my thoughts. Anything would be nice..I just doubt anything is coming.

Ever a update to this old website look would be nice..something to make use of having all this gold would be nice..when sets come out make cards cost more then what they are..cases and mats buyable with gold etc
    Last edited by OImNewHere; 05-21-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    Lets be clear...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wc 2017 running by players themself ? Is this a joke??? It's possiboe to have an answer about this Gondorian or Kyle?

Also im worried about SE with all these rumors that wulven studio is gonna to die... is it possible to have answer about this Kyle?

It takes 5min to write an answer, could u give us some informations at least please? For all the things that This community has done and all the money we have spent, we are worried about you!
    Last edited by Burnout1985; 05-21-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    A1 Burnout1985

I always believed in myself and did well,
    but joining A1 took me the next level. Curious how?

Click here to know how to join A1

-Ladder 1st score: season 67, 66, 62, 61, 58, 49, 37, 35, 34, 30
    -Ladder 1st rating: season 67, 66, 63, 58, 57, 54, 53, 49, 47, 36
    -Tournament won: WORLD CHAMPION 2016, Spagetthi IV, The Fall Seasonal Championship , Bounty Price II, SLUGFEST IX, Highlander II

Cerddorion
    all hope is lost....time to move on.....

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sorry cerddorion, i don't believe in any rumor untill i have an official answer from Kyle or Gondorian. I have spent so much time in this game, i would be sad if SE dissapears without anything we the community can do.

Ps: There is always a hope
    A1 Burnout1985

I always believed in myself and did well,
    but joining A1 took me the next level. Curious how?

Click here to know how to join A1

-Ladder 1st score: season 67, 66, 62, 61, 58, 49, 37, 35, 34, 30
    -Ladder 1st rating: season 67, 66, 63, 58, 57, 54, 53, 49, 47, 36
    -Tournament won: WORLD CHAMPION 2016, Spagetthi IV, The Fall Seasonal Championship , Bounty Price II, SLUGFEST IX, Highlander II