Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Observations From A New Player

Really love this game and think it is great.

A few things really bug me.
    Aldmor - these cards have decent stats, but can also all attack and use their ability in the same round, many of their abilities have 1 or 0 cost so there is little drawback to using them
    Twilight - seem much stronger than say comparable cost older cards, get a few down and they all buff each other - compare Twilight to say Yari, the 2 point Tw card does a +2 statboost vs a 5 point Yari card that does a +1 and +1 and I can only have one out at a time
    Landscapes - not sure these add anything to the game except some cheesy ways to instawin games

Quite willing to admit that I have heaps to learn about the game, but I am not sure what you expect a new player to think when things are happening all over the board that can't be countered with the older cards in the game. When I look at the older cards they all seem to have a drawback to using them but the newer cards don't.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome to the game!

These observations are normal...the more you play, the more you figure out how to counter different strategies. Join the Telegram app chat for real time chat with players from around the world. You'll find advice for deck building and meet lots of friendly people.
    IGN: TJ BlueJet24

Founder of Team Juggernauts

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome to the game and the forum!

- Aldmor are pretty weak individually (notice the low attack values), and need a few around to combo. If you get them all out, they can work well. But are very easy to distupt. Ally-killing cards are extremely common in SE.
    - Twilight are similar: you need a few out ... but they do have some bigger bodies. The combos take a while to get used to, but they are generally powerful. Again, they can be disrupted, but are one of the stronger tribes
    - Strength of older cards is a problem. Wulven tries not to make older cards obsolete, but often fails to do so in order to make new sets attractive. A big running battle in the forums is Wulven's insistence not to change any of the older cards. Small changes to card cost or ability cost would bring some of these back to life with very little effort - there is a separate thread for this
    - Location cards - i agree with you here. I have (for a long time) said the concept is fundamentally flawed. I have literally never seen several of them in play, and those that are are often fairly NPE ("oh. you exiled all my allies. gg") Overall, i think these should be re-thought sadly.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the welcome. Its a great game which I am now highly addicted to although not very good at.

The only other TCG I have played was Scrolls, and only for a couple months, so still a newbie to building decks etc... I did like in Scrolls how moving your units on the board was as important as playing them at the right time.

I really like the variety of cards in this game and the length of games is quite nice 10-15 min if no one concedes.

Is there any other place to get information about decks and the current meta?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My dislike of locations continues to grow and my interest in playing starts to wane as they become more common.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentl1ss View Post
    My dislike of locations continues to grow and my interest in playing starts to wane as they become more common.
    Lol. Me too. "Here, let my exile all your allies with one card from hand"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome to the game
    hope you will enjoy one of TCG game with us

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The game also seems to encourage some boring playstyles.

Perhaps it's just me, but the mill, solo, stall and burn decks are all pretty boring to play against. Not saying they are OP. Just a really boring playstyle. It's kind of like chess, where instead of trying to capture the king you take so long to do anything the other player falls asleep or dies of old age.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won