Close

Threaded View

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Rumsey's video logs: Exposing Cheaters & Demonstrating Exploits

Welcome to my new video log thread, thanks for visiting. The purpose of this thread will be to serve as a single point for me to demonstrate new vulnerabilities as well as expose hackers. There will never be explicit instructions for accomplishing what is seen in the videos - I don't think any of us want to go through that again.

No, instead this will function as an educational thread so you, the player, know what is out there, what is possible, and won't be completely shocked if you run in to one these exploits. I believe knowledge is power, and the more the community knows the better it can defend itself (as well as stop laying blame on devs for bugs that could indeed be hacks.)

I'll be taking requests as well in this thread, so if something new and strange happened to you be sure to leave me as much detail as possible, hopefully a screenshot or two, and I'll do my best to see if it can be recreated. That said, lets get on to my first videos (now iPad compatible!):

Hackers in action - ToRiJ
    This video makes a good intro for what to expect from upcoming hackers exposed videos. In the future I may add audio commentary, depending on who wants to see more explanations.
    In this video I use MattOG's infamous "The Rolling Pin" deck to completely decimate some cheating noob. It's pretty entertaining just to see a 117 card deck in action by itself. I have to give props to MattOG and say I'm currently 3-0 with this deck if you count this game as a win, and I think you will after viewing the video.
    Take a look here.(iPad)

Exploit - The "Invincible Hero"
    This exploit allows you to play your hero card face down, keeping you from being targeted or taking any damage, even global. You could simply wait for your opponent to draw out or play any normal deck against them. In the video I'm using ally-less mage burn deck (Nishaven). Thanks to AnAdolt for helping me to test this exploit on the test server.
    Check out the Invincible Hero.(iPad)

Exploit - The "Who Needs Resources?"
    This exploit was inspired by this thread. Thanks to whoever pointed it out to me. As soon as I saw this pic I started working on the idea, I was kind of jealous I hadn't thought of it first. My efforts were a success and I think you'll agree the results are pretty laughable.
    Check out the Who Needs Resources.(iPad)

Exploit - The "Energy King"
    This work was derivative of the previous exploit. I figured, if you can cast any card at turn 1, why not apply the same logic to Shadow Abilities? Here we see Nishaven easily establishing board control and holding it while playing an ally-less mage burn deck. Turns out it isn't that difficult when you can spam your ability every turn while your opponent slowly build his energy.
    Check out the Energy King.(iPad)

If you think these videos were interesting or you'd like to see more of this kind of material, please leave me a comment letting me know. This isn't a complete listing of all the exploits I'm aware of but its all I could put together tonight. All videos were made using the free and excellent WeGame application. If you are looking for an app to record games and upload them straight to the web, I'd recommend this one. If you'd like to see more videos from other games I play, access my WeGame video profile here.

Thanks for your interest in Shadow Era security.

UPDATE 5/7

Exploit - The "Fire Storm"
    This exploit was inspired by this thread. It's something I've been meaning to look at for awhile and just got to it. The name speaks for itself, this video shows why Elementalis is the best mage.
    Check out the Fire Storm.(iPad)

Exploit - The "Spark Party"
    Derivative of the above exploit, but 10x as deadly. The "original" deck hack, as far as I'm aware.
    Check out the Spark Party.(iPad)

Bonus Feature! - The "Quest Modification"
    I know that some people have expressed interest in creating their own AI decks to test against. I've seen lots of threads will people complaining about fighting the same 5 decks and how they can't really test their deck against others they should be weak against. Well, here's the solution to that problem. What you see here is single player quest modification (read the quest description ) against an AI with a custom deck. In the video I'm facing an Amber with nothing but Bazaars in her deck. Okay, not the best challenge but I'm sure other people more creative than me could put this feature to good use. The best part is no hacking knowledge or tools are necessary, and if it gets requested I might make a new thread and do a tutorial on it.
    Check out the Quest Modification.(iPad)

Bonus Feature! - Battle the Top Decks
    I used my work from the feature above to design a tool that lets players fight against the 2 top decks from the first Player Tournament. I think this is pretty cool as the regular offline decks are next to useless to fight. You can get the tool in my thread here, and you can check out a video of it in action below.
    Check out the Quest Modification.(iPad)
    Last edited by rumsey; 05-08-2011 at 01:37 AM.