Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

What Type of Player are You?

What type of Shadow Era player are you?

Based on this classic Magic the Gathering article , there are 3 main categories of TCG players: Timmy, Johnny, and/or Spike (Credit goes to original author Mark Rosewater)

Timmy
    “Timmy is the "power gamer." Timmy likes to win big. He doesn’t want to eke out a last minute victory. Timmy wants to smash his opponents. He likes his cards to be impressive, and he enjoys playing big creatures and big spells.

Timmy cares more about the quality of his win than the quantity of his wins. For example, Timmy sits down and plays ten games. He only wins three games out of ten but the three he wins, he dominates his opponent. Timmy had fun. Timmy walks away happy.”

Good examples of Timmy cards are: Nathanias, People’s Champion, Howlfang, Terror of the Vale, Exaltation, Supernova

Johnny
    “Johnny is the creative gamer to whom Shadow Era is a form of self-expression. Johnny likes to win, but he wants to win with style. It’s very important to Johnny that he win on his own terms. As such, it’s important to Johnny that he’s using his own deck.

Johnny enjoys winning with cards that no one else wants to use. He likes making decks that win in innovative ways. What sets Johnny apart from the other profiles is that Johnny enjoys deckbuilding as much as (or more than) he enjoys playing. Johnny loves the cool interactions of the cards. He loves combo decks.

Like Timmy, Johnny cares more about the quality of his wins than the quantity. For example, let's say Johnny builds a new deck that has a neat but difficult way to win. He plays ten games and manages to get his deck to do its thing… once. Johnny walks away happy.”

Good examples of Johnny cards/combos are: Aetherborn Wisp and Glimmer of Hope, Lay Low and Shrine of Negatia, Coercion and Growing Bog-dweller

Spike
    “Spike is the competitive player. Spike plays to win. Spike enjoys winning. To accomplish this, Spike will play whatever the best deck is. Spike will copy decks off the Internet. Spike will borrow other players’ decks. To Spike, the thrill of Shadow Era is the adrenalin rush of competition. Spike enjoys the stimulation of outplaying the opponent and the glory of victory.

Spike cares more about the quantity of wins than the quality. For example, Spike plays ten games and wins nine of them. If Spike feels he should have won the tenth, he walks away unhappy.”

Good examples of Spike cards are: Feasterling, Layarian Seductress, Groundshift or Sinkhole (or whatever tech cards counters the popular meta-decks), Rapacious Vermin / Sorcerer of Endia

The Hybrids
    “Many players do not fit so easily in one box. These players have bits and pieces of multiple profiles.”

What type of Shadow Era player are you?
    Last edited by Bayfighter; 03-14-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    IGN: TJ Bayfight3r
    Telegram: @Bayfighter

Guild Member of Team Juggernauts

Honorary Guild Member: Enlisted to Endure <E2E> - A Christian gaming community

""Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father."
    Colossians 3:17

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Personally, I'm primarily a Johnny with a little bit of Spike mixed in.

An example of a deck I try to make work is an Aramia build based on Abomination Factory, Aetherborn Wisp, and Tenacious Buccaneer
    Last edited by Bayfighter; 03-14-2017 at 08:29 PM.
    IGN: TJ Bayfight3r
    Telegram: @Bayfighter

Guild Member of Team Juggernauts

Honorary Guild Member: Enlisted to Endure <E2E> - A Christian gaming community

""Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father."
    Colossians 3:17

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would say at this point I'm a mix if all three. I play for fun but still want to win. No concern for style or level of dominance. Unlike spike though if I play 10 win9 it's a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    John for sure idc how bad I play I can't stand copying decks and show off my strategic ability with odd cards no one uses

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    i more like a Johnny that want to win
    Member of Alliance One
    nice place to make friends

A1 Beantalk treasure box
    Top 8 WC2016 | Top 8 WC2017 | Top 32 WC2018 | Champ WC2019 | Top 16 WC2020
    Damn its been a long time i play this game

I would like to apologize to anyone i have not yet offended, please be patient.
    I will get to you shortly.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Johnny with some spike

My boris proofs that
    IGN: Nataku Wolf

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Johnny with a bit of Spike. I feel like you need to copy a deck and play with it to understand its limitations. The wins feel good, but most of my own decks I aim to put my own slant on them and use combinations others aren't.

Great thread!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Johnny for sure. I like playing decks that do interesting things or have interesting ways to win. Something different than what's the best deck in the meta right now.

Examples would include my Witch Doctor Eladwen that uses Rejuvenating Ritual in various ways or my Combo Praxix that won by recursing Mimic to deal massive damage with Void Wretch (when it was still possible to recurse Mimic lol). I even have a Tala that has no big allies and uses Arthyle's Pass for control and burst damage using Yari Bladedancer.

Granted, when I enter tournaments I have a Spike side of me too if I can use more than one deck, one will likely be a meta deck because I know it will be a relatively safe option against certain other meta decks since, sadly, these creative decks aren't necessarily the best tournament decks.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Where to begin! This self analizatio is tough.

Well I'd say, Eternal Noob
    Or Elad addict.

I don't care if I win or lose, I know all the top decks and meta, (playing them is a different story) . I'm stuck in my happy rut. I play Elad Rush because it's fun to see how bad I can lose or how badly I win. I just like the deck. After so long here, (Bay, you can understand this). I play the game because I like the game. It's past being competative for me, not my guild Ofc, but for me only. It's simply a great game and community I've been lucky enough to be accepted by and enjoy.

Perhaps there's another gamer name.
    The Kip

The Kip, doesn't give a a crap, was once a above average player but still hangs around playing the same old decks because he can, and because he wants to be part of the game.
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm almost a pure Johnny-type. I also lean more towards control than aggro, preferring card advantage and attrition.

I love weird decks that people likely don't see often/ever.