Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Newer players.....

So last night I played a mirror match of Majiya, and my opponent played bazaar and bad Santa. I wrote it off as weird and of course won.

This morning I played Gwen who had no bows except one beetle, and was Ally heavy.

So, I'm assuming this is a side result of the market and people not being able to get cards? or maybe the forum website be included somewhere in the loading screen so people know it is available as a reference for newer players?

I do like the variety, nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnAdolt View Post
    For the below response.... you have been banned.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Most new players buy their cards one at the time as they collect gold or level-up. That's why you see so many incomplete decks in lower ranked players.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Having been in that position a while back, I agree that is one possibility, however I also took the initiative to seek out the forum because I wanted to improve based on other's suggestions, advice, and prior failings. And I spent two whole dollars and got some shadow crystals to buff up my deck. Provided how easy it is to get crystals, via purchase or free offers I don't accept the idea that they necessarily have to grind gold as they level to get cards.

I'm more just speculating that the market being tight on cards right now is forcing newer players to have substandard decks and as a result, try different variations to achieve some level of success, albeit not a lot, since they are resricted more so than others by the cards they can use.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm pretty sure the majority of players don't come to the forums. A new player can get a lot of help building a decent deck, but most don't. Many are not going to pay even 2 whole dollars because ShadowEra is just one more game to their tastes, and the most popular version (iThing) no longer offers free crystals. I normally avoid paying money on "freemium" games and even am careful which games I get free stuff in (because most games offer free stuff for the same group of programs.)

ShadowEra is the exception for me because it perfectly fits the kind of game I enjoy most.

All that being said, you can't buy bows on the market right now.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I must say... the only reason I entered the forum initially was to seek out answers because I was frustrated my Victor couldn't do anything where Ealdwen was kicking butt (I started with 1.23). And I'm very glad I did look it up. I think it would be nice to have a "link" to the forum somewhere in the actual game...
    Guild: Marksmen

"We are Hunters, and you are our prey.. Fear not the allies you can see. Fear only the arrow that will pierce through your hero.."

Please visit my blog for more card ideas. Comments and suggestions welcome!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Possibilities:
    - Some players are not interested in deck advice. They would rather make those choices themselves. I'm in this camp.
    - Some may not read English very well.
    - Not sure how much fun the forum is if you are using a small screen device.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I play almost solely on an idevice. I use tapatalk for forums. And when I started, it was easy to earn free crystals but I did grind the AI to learn the game before I went live. Got about 4 levels worth of crystals fast and did some offers to get about 300. I still haven't put a dollar into the game yet and I haven't done any pc offers and I still amassed over 800 crystals. I'll likely give the team 10 bucks for 1.26 and tourneys.
    3.5 "Gravebella Beatdown" || KillTrend's Live Commentary
    A1 Elder
    Ingame Handles: A1 Killtrend

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    You may also be experiencing players like myself.

There's a class of us out there who will specifically NOT play mirrors of the common decks, instead focus efforts on finding deck builds that defeat the meta or the commons. To do that, you have to field test your builds "out in the world". Theorycraft is great, but its all bunk until you find out if your concepts work consistently.

I'll end up throwing out combos in games that look outrageous, and usually fail. Or, I'll be playing a deck that is tailored against a deck very different than the one in the current match its playing against, and the primary theme is a BAD theme to play in the current match but destroys a different match-up. That's the problem with outlandish deck concepts.

We (players like me) do not care one whiff about ranking, we play for uniqueness and the joy of watching our frankensteins do what we envisioned for them.
    Thuull's Majiya
    Playing a Beautiful Game
    Breaking the Meta

"I can make useless cards useful!" -Thuull, right after sac'ing his fourth Shadowspawn of the match
    A1 - Deckbuilder's Anonymous "Hi. My name is Thuull, and I am a Masochist."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bob21218 View Post
    Possibilities:
    - Some players are not interested in deck advice. They would rather make those choices themselves. I'm in this camp.
    - Some may not read English very well.
    - Not sure how much fun the forum is if you are using a small screen device.
    I suppose you're right. There are threads dedicated to other languages though in this forum, although I'm not sure what material they cover since I speak English I haven't looked at them.

If you don't want the advice, you certainly don't have to take it. But this forum is also about reporting bugs, suggestions for improvement, etc so it has broader appeal, I think.

Lastly, you're quite correct, I neglected to think of the people playing on smaller screen devices. But that's not the only format and I would think if you truly loved the game, as I do, you'd find another way to play it where you could enjoy it more. Maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringel View Post
    I'm pretty sure the majority of players don't come to the forums. A new player can get a lot of help building a decent deck, but most don't. Many are not going to pay even 2 whole dollars because ShadowEra is just one more game to their tastes, and the most popular version (iThing) no longer offers free crystals. I normally avoid paying money on "freemium" games and even am careful which games I get free stuff in (because most games offer free stuff for the same group of programs.)

ShadowEra is the exception for me because it perfectly fits the kind of game I enjoy most.

All that being said, you can't buy bows on the market right now.
    Exactly my point about the bows. Well Beetle was available early this morning. But this would lead to different deck builds then the " norm" you see so often.

And I agree with you about spending money on free games. Traditionally I'm in the same mindset. This is an exception and should hopefully continue to be. I didn't start buying crystals personally until after I had played solo for about the first seven levels, and trolled a good portion of the forum. Like Killtrend, I will probably be buying some crystals after the next update.

@Thuull... Isn't that an aspect of your guild to design new builds and try them out? That's very commendable regardless, because thats what keeps the game fresh until the next update, and I personally appreciate anyone involved keeping the game from being stale.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalland View Post
    If you don't want the advice, you certainly don't have to take it. But this forum is also about reporting bugs, suggestions for improvement, etc so it has broader appeal, I think.
    Well, it seemed that the original question was why people played with bad decks when good deck info was available. There are those of us who use the forum to report bugs and nudge for [perceived] improvements, but skip right over all the hot new deck threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalland View Post
    Lastly, you're quite correct, I neglected to think of the people playing on smaller screen devices. But that's not the only format and I would think if you truly loved the game, as I do, you'd find another way to play it where you could enjoy it more. Maybe that's just me.
    I agree and use a desktop computer for virtually all my SE access, but I'm not sure that's where the world is headed. Could be lots of people just like their phone and don't spend much time on larger devices.

They may also prefer to play rather than read as a matter of principle. I had the opportunity to watch a 10-year old playing some games recently and he grasped the basic concepts quite quickly and just started whacking away at stuff, but he never showed much interest in reading anything about what he was doing or learning to play in a "better" way. Brave new world. ;-)