Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Vess Swifthands - clawing your way to victory

Hi All,

Been working on a Vess deck recently which I think has fairly good mechanics but could use a bit of fine tuning. List below.

1 x Vess Swifthands

Allies (22)

4 x Fire Snake
    4 x Ironhide Karash
    4 x Infernal Gargoyle
    4 x Rampant Krygon
    3 x Towering Brute
    1 x Ogloth the Glutton
    2 x Brakkong, Menace of Thriss

Abilities (20)

2 x Smashing Blow
    1 x Shriek of Vengeance
    4 x Blood Frenzy
    4 x Mark of the Feared
    4 x Confluence of Fate
    2 x Ellos' Resolve
    3 x Relentless Savagery

Weapons (1)

1 x Spectral Sabre

44 cards

EDIT: Updated following feedback below (10 Feb 17), deck is more stable with better board control and holds its own at 250+ rating without sliding backwards. Any ideas still welcome!

EDIT 2: Final cut I think, optimised slightly for better options against weapons and ally heavy decks.
    Last edited by Bumbledore; 02-14-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I can't break into the 300s, deck has a lot of pressure but seems weak to victor and a few mistakes I make playing it haven't helped either. Generally though the deck does pretty well once the card drawing combinations hit as it's hard for opponents to deal with the draw power and tempo bursts.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Interesting concept, but I can't see how DMT and Arachnid relate to the Claw theme :P why not something like Gargoyle, Wulven Scout or Wulven Predator?
    Also, I would suggest that you don't need 4x Relentless Savagery since this card usually recurse itself. Instead I would add a few copies of Ellos Resolve; this card works miracles vs weapon-based heroes and ally based decks. Another attachment that you might want for a comeback potential or a finisher is Will to Fight to give haste to your allies.

Lastly, in my experience, Vess can easily deck out herself with BF+CoF. So I tend to increase my deck a bit to 42-45 cards and add some healing options like Rampage or Enrage (best is Mettle of the Warrior if you play Warrior cards).
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'll have a play around, wulven predator was in the deck instead of arachnid but the deck had real issues with board control then (it still does now to a lesser degree). The creatures without claw attack I added because of the issue with board control, crippling blow and wulven predator were in the first draft but I struggled to make 250 rating with that. Elos resolve looks to be worth playing around with anyways as weapons are still a bit of a problem.

Thanks for the tips anyways, I'll work on some refinements!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If u dont mind this is mine

Hero : Vess Swifthand

Allies :
    3x Vermin
    3x Feasterting
    4x Gargoyle
    2x Brute
    1x DMT
    3x Krygon
    1x Hellfire
    2x Brakkong

Abilities :
    4x BF
    3x Relentless
    3x Ellos
    1x Curse of Aldmor
    4x Cripling Blow
    2x Smashing Blow
    3x Confluence

Weapons :
    Dragon's Tooth

Looks Annoying? But I can reach 300+ with that list😂

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ahhhh nice Ikhsan!

Vermin is a good idea to get round crippling blow, gargoyle as well I think gives the deck more survivability against weapons (and has claw attack so fits my theme). Having a quick play around with some new ideas today but your deck definitely benefits from having less duplicates of cards that you don't want 3 copies of in your opening hand, which is where mine often falls over.

Am trying to avoid using crippling blow in my deck, might turn out that I have to as it's good synergy with Brakkong (better than mark of the feared), but I think mark of the feared gives the deck a potential one turn KO that fits quite well with Vess in general so I'm kind of torn.

Thanks as well, your deck looks good, fine tuning on mine to be continued!
    Last edited by Bumbledore; 02-08-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Update:

Thanks for the feedback guys, I have a much more stable relentless savagery/vess deck now. Increased the deck size to 42 cards whilst removing the non-claw attack allies.

-2 Death Mage Thaddeus
    -4 Voracious Arachnid
    -1 Towering Brute
    -1 Brakkong, Menace of Thriss
    -1 Shriek of Vengeance

+4 Fire Snake (OP)
    +4 Infernal Gargoyle
    +1 Rampant Krygon
    +1 Smashing Blow
    +1 Spectral Sabre

This setup overcomes some of the issues of the previous version with board control by starting off early with either fire snake or ironhide karash and either relentless savagery or mark of the feared to help beat down any early allies the opponent casts. I omitted ellos as I think gargoyle and karash perform a similar role through their passive abilities and with both of those units and two copies of smashing blow the deck has okay results against weapon themed decks.

(that may change with more playtesting, I did like Ellos and I still think my setup is a bit one-dimensional even with a couple of bits of tech in there. Considering dropping one relentless savagery and adding two Ellos.)

Still working on the deck so any more comments welcome!
    Last edited by Bumbledore; 02-10-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Final list:

-1 Relentless Savagery
    +2 Ellos' Resolve
    +1 Ogloth the Glutton

This just gives the deck a little more adaptability to different situations and the extra fatty means you have to worry less about discarding one if you draw it in opening hand. 44 cards is a better deck size for Vess with all that drawpower and it reduces the chances of your extra draw being used to draw duplicates of cards you can only have one of.
    Last edited by Bumbledore; 02-14-2017 at 12:14 PM.