Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Spectral Sabre summoning

When spectral Sabre is played while already having a weapon on the field, and you choose the option of destroying an attachment, the existing weapon remains on the board. I would assume because you summoned a new weapon, the old one would be placed in the grave. My issue is the wording really, Sabre says summoned, when I think of summoned I think when it hits the board after being cast from hand.

Is there a position between being in your hand and being on the field? If that's the case the card works fine I guess.

Seems a little cheesy to me, to be able to summon another weapon and not lose the first.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    The first weapon goes in the grave only at the point you would have two in front of you (which is not allowed). In other words, the act of summoning the second is not what causes the first to be destroyed, and yes there is a gap between summoning and being in play in front of you - it's how various other cards can interfere when a card is summoned. Hope that helps.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Question related to this,

I notice I can't use Spectral Sabre to destroy attachments when I have Hammer on the field. I assume it is because hammer cannot be destroyed so I cna't play another weapon, but if sabre doesn't actually enter the field this should be an issue.

Is this a bug or intended behavior, of I can't play a weapon so I can't play Sabre?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It's because you can't summon a weapon with hammer in play. Spectral Sabres alternate effect requires it to be summoned (playing a Card from your hand is considered summoning)

So you have the hammer, it can't be destroyed which blocks the summoning of another weapon, meaning you can't summon sabre to get the alternate effect

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross013 View Post
    It's because you can't summon a weapon with hammer in play. Spectral Sabres alternate effect requires it to be summoned (playing a Card from your hand is considered summoning)

So you have the hammer, it can't be destroyed which blocks the summoning of another weapon, meaning you can't summon sabre to get the alternate effect

I got that, I'm curious if the interaction is intentional or not which is why I don't post as a bug. Since it would not destroy the weapon in play it is possible that it should be able to be played with Sledge, the problem is as you said I can't summon weapons so it could be argued I can't summon sabre either.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah I'd say it's 100% intended to work this way

Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Probably I just want to get an official confirmation of that.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

You're right for the current ruling and coding, but I am finally convinced we need to update it and have a good reason for that.

Here are the relevant rules that appear to be in effect:

Rule 1. You control any card you summon, whether it will hit the board or not. e.g. Fireball is still controlled by whoever summoned it.

Rule 2. You can't control two weapons at the same time, so the indestructible weapon blocks the first being summoned.

But actually we allow you to summon Spectral Saber for its ability without destroying your first weapon, so you are allowed to control two at the same time, it seems!

So we either need to have Spectral Saber cause any weapon to be destroyed when it is summoned for any reason (sounds like a huge nerf!) or we have to admit that Rule 2 is garbage and should instead be changed to something like "You can't have two weapons in your Support Row at the same time".

With that new rule, we could allow you to summon Spectral Saber for the ability only (just with no option to become a Weapon in your Support Row if an indestructible Weapon is out).

I'll add it as potential dev work to be picked up at some point ...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You could make it similar the legend rule from mtg where if you summon a weapon while another one is in play, you choose which one to keep and the other is put in the graveyard (not destroyed)

Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    You could make it similar the legend rule from mtg where if you summon a weapon while another one is in play, you choose which one to keep and the other is put in the graveyard (not destroyed)

Is this in relation to the idea that I could have JD out and wish to summon Spectral Sabre for its ability? Then I'd need to choose one or the other? That's a nerf.