Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    As a casual meltdown player I completely agree with the OP. I have only "redrawn" once or twice ever because it makes me feel dirty. Having said that I can't wait for meltdown in game tournaments to get here. But only if the redraw exploitation is removed somehow. I know that weapon heros and weapon availability is an issue but I'd rather deal with it at this point rather than playing against a constructed deck with a meltdown deck. FYI yes I know I'll probably be in my 80's before meltdown tournaments are implemented.
    Soylentgreen is people!!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by pindleton View Post
    Please consider my example from above; let's say you want to find Amber Rain, 1-2x What Big Teeth, and maybe a Sorcerous Poison. You could open 4x Call of the Crystals packs. Then, if you didn't find what you were looking for, start a game and cancel the game to refresh. After just a few "refreshes," there is a high probability that you will find what you are looking for. But is that truly a random game experience in the spirit of Meltdown? Or did you just choose exactly what you wanted? That's why I say it's unfair and clearly exploitable.
    Okay, so it sounds like what you asking for, essentially, is to have the 4 packs to choose cards from randomly chosen for you.

Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by greasypig View Post
    In real life you wouldn't be able to peek inside the booster packs, you'd only be able to see the contents of the 4 boosters you picked, and you wouldn't have a choice to reset and choose 4 new booster packs until after you've played/quit an actual match with someone (leading to an actual win/loss/draw).

The current setup of Meltdown currently allows one to "preview" the contents of the different packs, and to go back and forth trying out different combos of packs in order to find the best combo for them, and then after that, they build their deck.

On top of that, if they didn't find any combo that works for them, they can simply build an arbitrary deck, start a game, and, especially since Meltdown isn't too popular, be able to quit a game with no loss to stats before someone else can show up. When they return to Meltdown, they'll have a brand new set of packs to choose from.
    Okay, so what you are asking for is:

1. Players should not be allowed to pick more than one combination of packs without actually entering a game.
    2. Players should receive some type of penalty to discourage quitting/leaving a game, even if another player hasn't joined yet.

Is that correct?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kross View Post
    Okay, so it sounds like what you asking for, essentially, is to have the 4 packs to choose cards from randomly chosen for you.

Is that correct?

Okay, so what you are asking for is:

1. Players should not be allowed to pick more than one combination of packs without actually entering a game.
    2. Players should receive some type of penalty to discourage quitting/leaving a game, even if another player hasn't joined yet.

Is that correct?
    Your 1st suggested change is a yes. As to the second point, there already is a 2 minute penalty for starting a game and quitting early--only if you actually got paired with another human player before you quit. If you quit before being paired up, there is no penalty. I'm suggesting no penalty, but also you don't get a refreshed set of cards. You should have to stick with the same set of cards you were originally given until you play a full game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There's no problem with rewarding people for spending more time preparing ahead of the game - people who invest the time deck-building / practicing / learning should be rewarded.

But i didn't know you could start a game, hit cancel, and get dealt a new set of cards. That's wrong. You should have to play a game before you can go again. Should be changed.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorJacobs View Post
    There's no problem with rewarding people for spending more time preparing ahead of the game - people who invest the time deck-building / practicing / learning should be rewarded.

But i didn't know you could start a game, hit cancel, and get dealt a new set of cards. That's wrong. You should have to play a game before you can go again. Should be changed.
    There's already a mild deterrent to doing this in that if you end up getting paired before you can hit cancel, you'd at least have to finish the game or get penalized for early quitting.

Funnily though, not only should you not be allowed to get a new set of cards until you finish a game, you should also not be allowed to pick a different combo of packs. Because if you continue to be allowed to do that, then you can exploit that to keep peeking inside cards until you find the best one.

That said, even if that exploit weren't entirely fixed, the other fixes would still be good for the game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree with OP. It has to be fixed, new players don´t even know that is possible to cheat like this...

I recomend to choose decks and your choice is set till you finish a game with it.

Another recomendation is to change it to 5 decks when you have to choose 2 (or even 3 - maybe in future when more sets come in play) different sets. If there will be too much Ambers + Weapons due to more weapons in 5 decks, than we can rise the number of minimum cards in deck to 40, so it will unify Meltdown with clasic format.
    IGN: TJ Maskee - Proud member of Team Juggernauts !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by greasypig View Post
    There's already a mild deterrent to doing this in that if you end up getting paired before you can hit cancel, you'd at least have to finish the game or get penalized for early quitting.

Funnily though, not only should you not be allowed to get a new set of cards until you finish a game, you should also not be allowed to pick a different combo of packs. Because if you continue to be allowed to do that, then you can exploit that to keep peeking inside cards until you find the best one.

That said, even if that exploit weren't entirely fixed, the other fixes would still be good for the game.
    I agree. The peeking should also be stopped. I thought more about the issues and how to fix them during free time I had yesterday. I reached the following conclusion.

In a perfect world, Meltdown would function like so:

Step 1) Player is presented with a set of packs from which they could choose 4. Once the four are chosen, there are no "backsies." The cards held within those 4 chosen packs are static and "locked in" until a game is played.

Step 2) Player builds their deck.

Step 3) Game is started. No redraw for starting a game and quitting before being matched with another player. If you do quit before a match begins, you are presented with the same cards you had in the original 4 chosen packs. You aren't allowed to peek at other packs or redraw.

Step 4) Game is played.

Step 5) Return to Step 1
    Last edited by pindleton; 01-18-2017 at 03:34 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The biggest issue of MD is that there is no short term gratification and no short term goals. Even with proposed changes the mode will still only award 24h grinders. That is really off putting part for casuals. Now you can say casuals do not want awards, thats what makes them casuals, but its having that end goal, that makes people play game. And MD doesnt have that at all. HS or Shadowverse Arena draft style is much better and would stimulate more people to play draft modes.

Some examples:

Daily mission: Win 5 MD games.
    Remodel MD so you can play up to 5 games with same deck. Depending of number of games won get some rewards.
    Last edited by Veles; 01-18-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    The biggest issue of MD is that there is no short term gratification and no short term goals.
    Strongly agree with this. I love Meltdown, and it's sad that i won't get anything from it even with moderate levels of play.

More generally, daily / weekly "quests" would be a great addition to the game:
    - Win X Meltdown games
    - Kill X allies with ability damage
    - Beat X Humans

So many options!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Any thoughts on this Devs?

I have been playing meltdown a lot lately ... and i think more people are using the "cancel" exploit to get really strong decks. This is un-fun. Today i played against the same player a few times, with really strong decks including one that had:
    - Banebow (best MD hero)
    - 2x retreat
    - 2x life infusion
    - Black Garb
    - Night Prowler
    - Defender's Oath
    - Ogloth
    - Set-fire-to-hero ability
    - Loads of strong allies (marshland sentinel etc.)

Feels this is an unlikely combo to come up with

Got to close the "cancel and draw new packs" problem!