Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Clockwork Soldier & The Wilds: Trading Post

Yoyo people,

I looked around for a bit but couldn't find an answer as to why Clockwork Soldier does not trigger The Wilds: Trading Port when he is turned into an ally. The fact that his ability reads "...RETURNS to play as an artifact when killed" shows that the artifact form has indeed "left play" in order to generate an Aldmore ally. Does it not? I mean, it is not an "artifact" ally, right? Those don't exist as far as I'm aware. It is an "Aldmore" Ally. This means the summoned "artifact" has indeed "left play" when you use its ability and should trigger the location. I know that is not how it works but going by the wording, it sure seems like it should work that way.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    it transitions locations in play never leaves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EveryThing Changes

"The difference between the possible and the impossible lies within a persons determination" -- Tommy Lasorda

Check out my decks and others at Shadowera.net. Shadowera's #1 Super Fan Site!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    If you re-read the very same price of text, you'll notice that it doesn't refer to the artifact becoming an ally (which was the question you brought up)

"RETURNS to play as an ARTIFACT when KILLED".
    Meaning, becoming an artifact again when the ally dies. And killing clockwork does indeed allow you to trigger the wilds, which makes sacrificial lamb a great card to use here.

Now, as for why you can't trigger the wilds after activating the artifact Ability, and turning it into an ally? Well, because the cars never leaves play. Sure it may not be an artifact any more, but it is still in play, which makes it so it cannot proc.

Now moreover, let's just say this was a bug, and correct interactions state that it SHOULD be able to process after that. (this would also mean you could activate trading port after using transmogrification curse on a 4cc ally)
    Don't you think that would make the wilds too strong? And way too easy to activate? You'd be spending 1SE (and 0 resources) to gain a 3/3 ally, draw one card, and renew 2 used resources. Does that seem balanced to you??
    Shadow of the Night
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Seeker of potential, hidden from the light
    Teacher from the darkness, the Shadow of The Night
    To you I bring my knowledge, hidden from plain sight
    And write it in my blog, bringing new things to the fight

IGN: BP Umbra Nox

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Buqs and Umbra7 are correct.

For complicated rules answers and bug tracking, I'm working on an event debug logger that will log all the events in the order that they're triggered

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Buqs View Post
    it transitions locations in play never leaves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra7 View Post
    Now, as for why you can't trigger the wilds after activating the artifact Ability, and turning it into an ally? Well, because the cars never leaves play. Sure it may not be an artifact any more, but it is still in play, which makes it so it cannot proc.
    Ok. So, I understand that it has not left play. However, why does that matter? The card specifically states that the "Artifact" becomes an "ally" with the activation cost met. This means that the "artifact" is technically no longer in play. Sure the card is still there however, the "artifact" has indeed been removed from play. Forget the card and focus on what it was and what it has become. That is where the focus should be.

It just doesn't make any sense for it to activate the location one way and not the other. Sure, the card left play when it DIED an ally. However, to gain an "ally",you had to lose an "Artifact." Sure the "card" never left play but the "artifact" sure did, right? It wouldn't get destroyed by any item destruction, only Ally kill abilities.

not a matter of what procs here or there. I get all that. I do. My focus is on what he card WAS and what was lost when it became an Ally. I don't think you can dispute that an artifact has disappeared from the board to gain an ally. Do the game mechanics not recognize it? Obviously. But that just seems incorrect.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by InsanoMango View Post
    Ok. So, I understand that it has not left play. However, why does that matter? The card specifically states that the "Artifact" becomes an "ally" with the activation cost met. This means that the "artifact" is technically no longer in play.
    OK, so you accept it didn't leave play, but then you claim the artifact has left play on a technicality. It hasn't. The artifact became something else without leaving play and the location is specifically about cards leaving and entering play.

Sounds like we could do with a clarification in the rules, which could be one of those that shows up when you are waiting for an opponent.

"When a card changes its type while in play, it is not considered to have left play or entered play during the transformation."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    OK, so you accept it didn't leave play, but then you claim the artifact has left play on a technicality. It hasn't. The artifact became something else without leaving play and the location is specifically about cards leaving and entering play.
    Sorry I am being difficult about this. Just was seeking clarification.

For example, let's say that when you activate the ability that the text that reads "Nuetral Item - Artifact" changes to "Nuetral Ally - Aldmor." This is essentially what happens, am I right? That would mean that the "artifact" is no longer in play regardless of the card itself leaving play or not. I know the card is still in play but the artifact is technically gone. Correct?

This was my reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post

Sounds like we could do with a clarification in the rules, which could be one of those that shows up when you are waiting for an opponent.

"When a card changes its type while in play, it is not considered to have left play or entered play during the transformation."
    I suppose this would do it. Without this rule in place, I would just keep running my mouth. :P This then clarifies that the only time something actually leaves play is when it is destroyed or exiled, not when the types change.

Aside from shutting me up, I like it in place for future development.

Thank you to the higher ups for taking the time to comment.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    In addition to being destroyed and exiled, returning to hand or shuffled into deck also count as leaving play. Shrine of negatia technically could be used with the wilds!
    Shadow of the Night
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Seeker of potential, hidden from the light
    Teacher from the darkness, the Shadow of The Night
    To you I bring my knowledge, hidden from plain sight
    And write it in my blog, bringing new things to the fight

IGN: BP Umbra Nox

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ceasing to be an artifact does not mean the artifact has left play. It just became something else.
    The physical action of it moving away from the play mat (or sliding to the graveyard as that is a not in play zone) is what activates leaving play. Not just moving around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylt View Post
    Could be better than fire snake version.