Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Inevi's Ythan (~340 rating)

Hi all,

Some minor background info: I actually haven't touched this game for almost a full year. Prior to that I never really managed to get a rating above 300. This December I decided to pick up the game again and played quite a bit to familiarize myself with the current state of the meta as well as the new Lost lands cards. I managed to get to a ~295 rating (mostly copying other decks, including Burnout's Victor), but it wasn't until I started to play with Ythan that I managed to get a 300 rating, which quickly improved when I started tinkering the deck to what it is today. I finished last season with a 338 rating which was achieved mid-to-end season, so I think the deck is pretty decent. I'm just looking to improve it and have run out of options myself. Perhaps more experienced players can take this deck to even higher levels.

Also, you will find this deck ended up largely being inspired by this deck http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....-toolbox-Ythan. Initially it wasn't my intend to use homunculous in this deck, but I had been using Thunderstrike Construct for the ping damage and it really felt like a waste to not abuse his buff to an ally on board.

Early versions included Aldon, Tainted Oracle, Sabreen, Puwen and Retreat! as well as different quantities of current cards.

Hero: Ythan Redthorn

Cards: 39+1

Allies: (32)
    4x Vigilant Wisp
    3x Twilight Opportunist
    4x Entangled Wisp
    2x Gaderi Reaver
    3x Fortified Wisp
    2x Erika Shadowhunter
    2x Braxnorian Soldier
    4x Thunderstrike Construct
    3x General of Unaxio
    3x Viska, The Scarlet Blade
    2x Nathanias, People's Champion

Abilities: (4)
    3x Hunter's Gambit
    1x A Legend Rises

Locations: (3)
    3x Anmor: Garina Road

Biggest concern with the deck is that I don't like Twilight Opportunist, but it seems that if I can't pull Vigilant Wisp this is my best answer to deal with T2 Feasterling. I really want to take the Opportunist out but I can't think of anything that would work better.

Hardest matchups:
    Any Garth deck - Garth decks in particular are hard because the deck has to work its way through Anklebreaker and Spirit Shuriken.
    Semi Solo Threbin variants - Hero ability + Holy Shield + Tidal Wave are tough to beat, I have to lure a Tidal Wave and then immediately follow up with Nathanias (who hopefully comes with a strong companion).
    Zaladar Shard of Power variants - Brax doesn't quite stop this because of MC
    Exaltation Elementalis - T5 Exaltation will make me lose the game as this deck is fighting for the board between T4-T6
    Anmor's Call Victor variants - early draw of Anmor's Call drops my win chance a lot, however if they don't draw it early (which is a fair chance considering those decks require around 60 cards to operate) I can beat Victor somewhat convincingly.

Any insight on how to improve this deck is appreciated. Im also open to answer any questions regarding the deck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would drop General as you only have 4 attachments. Probably replace it with Aldon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    In the beginning the Universe was created.
    This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

IGN: TJ Segalion - Green Creatures from other planets can also go Juggernauts !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Agree with Segalion, also not a big fan of Erika. Every competitive deck has smth do deal with stealth allies, and Erika dies instantly with her 3 HP making her a pretty low value ally for 5 CC, would suggest to try Eriss or Aeon instead.
    IGN: BP AmberFade
    TG: @AmberFade

WotBP Trophy Room:Achievements
    Legendary Blademaster of Gaderi
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My personal thoughts about General of Unaxio is that without him this deck isnīt nearly as consistent. The deck only has 3 gambitīs to get extra draw. I have had many games where I donīt pull a card that I have 3 copies of (for example Viska or location) in my first 25 cards. If that happens with Gambit I'm top decking at turn 8-10 with another 15 turns of having to play the one card I receive each turn. With General I can ensure that I don't top deck while playing a 2/7 ally at the same time (in short, he's not here to pick from a huge variety of attachments, he's just here to keep my games consistent).

Erika is debateable, but on the other hand competitive decks maybe have 2-3 cards to deal with her? If they don't have a card to deal with her immediately she can easily turn match ups in my favor. I've had Erika play vs Victor for an entire match because I put A legend Rises on her, Vic's ability can bring her down to 1 hp but Gambit doesn't touch her at that point. At any rate those 2 copies of her feel a lot more useful than the 2 sorcerers of endia (Which I unfortunately need vs stall/gimmick to not look completely silly)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPsy View Post
    Erika is debateable, but on the other hand competitive decks maybe have 2-3 cards to deal with her? If they don't have a card to deal with her immediately she can easily turn match ups in my favor. I've had Erika play vs Victor for an entire match because I put A legend Rises on her, Vic's ability can bring her down to 1 hp but Gambit doesn't touch her at that point. At any rate those 2 copies of her feel a lot more useful than the 2 sorcerers of endia (Which I unfortunately need vs stall/gimmick to not look completely silly)
    I see it the other way around, I think mainly because im a tournament player and play vs optimized decks all the time what is alot different to quickmatch. The good thing about Sorcerer of Endia is that it creates alot of pressure in certain matchups like warriors they have to be carefull with using CB's because of it. Without SoE a Boris or Amber could just CB half of your board and ignore it for the rest of the game, sure you can use A Legend Rises on one of your allies but thats not as scary for a warrior as risking to get its BF killed. Also its an all around great utility card that can be used in many ways in most matchups (exception are decks that dont run any items or attachments such as mages).

Erika offers way less value, her stats are pretty bad for 5CC (equivalent to reactorary) and her stealth is easily bypassed by popular utility cards like Diplomat, Groundshift or Spelldamage. The only decks it might be usefull against is fat Vic, Moonstalker(earlygame only) and maybe Elementalis (since you force him to use MC). Against other popular decks such as Zaladar, Rogues, Priests, Mages, Praxix, Baduruu, Amber you dont want to draw this card ever since it wont last a round. I think the number of matchups where Erika is useless outnumbers the good matchups wastly, macking this card a gimmick. Decks that use cards usefull in as many matchups as possible tend to do better overall. In the end the question is if you value the explosive power of Erika against decks that dont run antistealth over consistency against every deck.

That said I see how Erika can be a very solid (and maybe superiour) choice in quickmatch if I think about it since quickmatch decks tend not to be well rounded and you run into decks not able to deal with stealth more often compared to a tournament.
    Last edited by AmberFade; 01-17-2017 at 08:00 PM.
    IGN: BP AmberFade
    TG: @AmberFade

WotBP Trophy Room:Achievements
    Legendary Blademaster of Gaderi
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Erika is fantastic especially in ythan. It's one of those cards that "deal with it or you die". Nothing wrong about having 2copies.

But... not enough 3cc!!!? T3 going first you may have no target for gambit. So your valid play is only 4 entangled wisp.
    Even if your many 5cc allies are to come out on t4 with garina road, it's not enough to cover t3 nothing. And if you don't have t4 garina roard, you don't have many cards to play on t4. So it's hard to believe early game is consistent. Is the deck list wrong or you were super lucky to keep your rating?
    IGN: Kyltz

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My deck is also inspired from Qazzaq's deck, so it's pretty similar. But I have to agree with the comments above, I included Eriss in my deck instead of Erika and it works great for me.
    Another tech card that I like in Ythan is Weevil Crossbow.
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylt View Post
    Erika is fantastic especially in ythan. It's one of those cards that "deal with it or you die". Nothing wrong about having 2copies.

But... not enough 3cc!!!? T3 going first you may have no target for gambit. So your valid play is only 4 entangled wisp.
    Even if your many 5cc allies are to come out on t4 with garina road, it's not enough to cover t3 nothing. And if you don't have t4 garina roard, you don't have many cards to play on t4. So it's hard to believe early game is consistent. Is the deck list wrong or you were super lucky to keep your rating?
    Its true that this is the deck list, and I actually got as far as a 360 rating with this. If T3 has no target for gambit it usually means Iīm free to seek Entangled Wisp. I want to slot in 2 Aldon for more 3cc, but I canīt just add 2 Aldon because overall that would make the deck less consistent and as it stands Iīm unsure what to take out of the deck. I took out Erika at first but I didnīt quite like that. In general though, T2 is more of an issue than T3 as it stands, and even after going with 4 Vigi Wisp and 4 opportunist, all too often I donīt get a T2 drop which hurts the deck to the point where it canīt seem to make a comeback.

Lately I have been going second VS literally every solid rated player (like not even once I would first), and its in those matchups where I dont draw a T2 play that its practically an auto loss. I might retire the deck for that reason because I canīt think of a single card that would possibly solve that.
    Last edited by Inevitable; 01-17-2017 at 10:16 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPsy View Post

Lately I have been going second VS literally every solid rated player (like not even once I would first), and its in those matchups where I dont draw a T2 play that its practically an auto loss. I might retire the deck for that reason because I canīt think of a single card that would possibly solve that.
    Snare Trap
    IGN: TJ Maskee - Proud member of Team Juggernauts !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by maskee View Post
    I thought about that, but it doesnīt really fit the playstyle of this deck. Ideally I draw an ally every turn to keep pressuring the board. It also lowers the odds of Nathanias bringing an ally with him. I think Decoy Trap would be a little better anyway because it should ensure my next ally to survive a turn, at which point I can use ability to try and take the board. Again though, it doesnīt quite fit the style of the deck.

If anything Iīm playing without Braxnorian Soldier at the moment and realize he might offer the least value in this deck. Vs Shard of Power he typically gets Mind Controlled anyway. In any other match ups his haste block is highly situational and his other ability hasnīt really won me any extra games either.