Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"Contacting Server" issues

Has anyone had/reported issues of pretty long waits while the "contacting server" message is up, and occasionally the one about not being able to connect (I can't get that one to come up right now so I can't quote the text).

I play on the PC, and have had no issues until the most recent patch. So, this is my order of tests:

1) Thinking something just got botched during the install, I uninstalled and reinstalled. Still having the same issues.
    2) I tried it on BlueStacks, and while it's a bit quicker, the messages still come up.
    3) Tried it at work vs. at home. Same times while it sits at "contacting server".

I talked to my friend who plays exclusively on his iPhone, and he says it's unplayable for him as well. For both of us, even opening the daily chest is a chore. Any other advice as to what I can try? Or is there something going on behind the scenes that's causing issues?

Grateful for any input. I miss SE!

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I've not heard of any issues, but I'll send this onto Kyle. How long has this been going on for?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Initially, I'd say the issue happened about 2 weeks ago, around the time the 3.16 patch hit.

Today, though, the damnedest thing happened: I installed on a different PC at home, and SE worked fine. Went back to my laptop, and all's well. Maybe there was some sort of Comcast issue in the area (provider for both my home and work), or my laptop was just being a bastard for a few days.

Regardless, thank you for your quick response to my issue. I'll see my friend tonight at work and ask him if it's any better for him. If not, I'll suggest he post for iOS support.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quick update: tested connection again when I got to work. I'm starting to think it's an issue with our internet service here. I timed the "contacting server" messages, and it was 22 seconds logging in, 29 seconds to go from "world" to "challenge", 23s from "challenge" to the bit in Meltdown where we pick packs. Built the deck, and after 11s and 13s, got "failure to connect to game server" messages.

I played a game successfully at home, so again, this has to be something shaky going on with the connection at work.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the updates on your situation. You originally mentioned issues at connecting at home, so it may not be your work after all and could be the ISP as you mention in your first reply. Is your friend on 3G/4G or using wifi via same ISP?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I texted him to test it at home (since we both usually play via work wifi), and he said that he's still having issues, BUT his provider is also Comcast. Then I had him try his 3/4G. Just got his reply, and his response was "Wow yup that worked I was using LTE and it was super fast. Weird."

I also did the Bluestacks vs. PC client test again, and via Bluestacks (still on my laptop, connected through work wifi), I successfully played a full game, with at most a 3 second "Contacting server" message post-game. Logged out of there, and fired up the PC client, and logging in was a 19 second message, and loading the "World" screen another 29 seconds.

Update to the PC client test: trying to do a ranked match, I got a "Failed to connect to game server" message after about 20 seconds.
    Last edited by Anson Darkeblade; 12-05-2016 at 12:51 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Updating again. Started SE on my laptop at home, the messages lasted 1-3 seconds, well within normal times. I'll retest the connection at work tonight, but last night, it was the same long times I've been having. I'll update again later tonight.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anson Darkeblade View Post
    Updating again. Started SE on my laptop at home, the messages lasted 1-3 seconds, well within normal times. I'll retest the connection at work tonight, but last night, it was the same long times I've been having. I'll update again later tonight.
    Might be a sign that playing SE at work isn't meant to happen for you ...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Lol you mean they'll have to pay me to play inferior card games?!?!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    And like magic, I have no issues connecting at work or home.