Close

Thread: Chance

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Chance

I want to make a suggestion of incorporating probability in the game. Making cards that have, say 30% chance, to cause an effect. This will make things a little bit more interesting as the player has to depend on chance.
    There are so many effects in the game including and are not limited to:
    Poisoned, Burning, Disabled, Cannot defend, Draw a card, Heal damage etc.

I think making cards that do not have a 100% chance of triggering these abilities might be good. Ofcourse as the card gets costly, either in Casting Cost or in terms of Gold, the chance of triggering the ability increases. Cheap weapons, especially, may be benefitted with this effect. Imagine an unused card like Wooden Spear having an ability like this "20% chance that your hero will take 0 damage when defending" or maybe "20% chance that opposing ally will take 1 damage while your hero attacks" will do to the card.
    IGN: TJ Scout
    Telegram: @shubham1309

"Scout is a hacker we should report him" - SK Trinolcour

Team Juggernauts Recruitment Thread

Link to TJ forum
    IRC

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Another suggestion for a cheap ally:
    Cost: 3cc
    Class: Not decided
    Stats: Not decided
    Ability: 20% chance that the opposing hero or ally will set ablaze when Mr. X attacks.

So he has to attack 5 times, on 5 different turns for a 100% chance.

Link to TJ forum
    IRC

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Is Here View Post
    Another suggestion for a cheap ally:
    Cost: 3cc
    Class: Not decided
    Stats: Not decided
    Ability: 20% chance that the opposing hero or ally will set ablaze when Mr. X attacks.

So he has to attack 5 times, on 5 different turns for a 100% chance.
    Thats not how probability works...you wouldn't have 100% chance to set ablaze if you attacked five times.
    Shadow of the Night
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Seeker of potential, hidden from the light
    Teacher from the darkness, the Shadow of The Night
    To you I bring my knowledge, hidden from plain sight
    And write it in my blog, bringing new things to the fight

IGN: BP Umbra Nox

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There would be 0.67232 chance of setting something ablaze if it can attack for 5 turns

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sorry bad english (it isn't my first language). What I meant to say is that you have a 1 in 5 chance of setting ablaze. There is a chance it may happen on every attack, there is a chance it may not happen even once. The 100% thing is just wrong now that I read it again.

Link to TJ forum
    IRC

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi, I'm against because it has been done on another well known game. The result has been a casualisation of the community, a bad balance between cards and a world champion that admit he has won more on luck than skill.
    It the worst thing it could happened of the game.

But when you speak of 100% chance on 5 turns, even if it was a bad synthax, you open the discussion to another idea that could work : rewarding the board control by give allies some skills when they stay X turn in game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfCyr View Post
    Hi, I'm against because it has been done on another well known game. The result has been a casualisation of the community, a bad balance between cards and a world champion that admit he has won more on luck than skill.
    It the worst thing it could happened of the game.

But when you speak of 100% chance on 5 turns, even if it was a bad synthax, you open the discussion to another idea that could work : rewarding the board control by give allies some skills when they stay X turn in game.
    I think the Hearthstone community over reacts to the randomness in the game. It IS true that its more luck based than some other card games, but it doesn't necessarily mean the luck based mechanics have made the game a non-competitive game (which is more up to the players anyways).

Anyways, I don't mind randomness in SE so long as its the good kind of randomness. This card isn't what I would call the good kind. There isn't really a way to manipulate the chances in your favor, its just a straight up random effect. For example, if you wanted Rabid Bite's effected ally to attack the hero, you can have a 100% chance of doing so if it is the only ally your opponent has. The Meat Wagon decks are another example of good randomness because your deck can be constructed in a way that tips those odds in your favor (in fact, this happens with deck building in general). I'm for random effects, so long as they play off the mechanics well and aren't the type suggested where there is just a static X% chance of it happening.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi View Post
    I think the Hearthstone community over reacts to the randomness in the game. It IS true that its more luck based than some other card games, but it doesn't necessarily mean the luck based mechanics have made the game a non-competitive game (which is more up to the players anyways).

Anyways, I don't mind randomness in SE so long as its the good kind of randomness. This card isn't what I would call the good kind. There isn't really a way to manipulate the chances in your favor, its just a straight up random effect. For example, if you wanted Rabid Bite's effected ally to attack the hero, you can have a 100% chance of doing so if it is the only ally your opponent has. The Meat Wagon decks are another example of good randomness because your deck can be constructed in a way that tips those odds in your favor (in fact, this happens with deck building in general). I'm for random effects, so long as they play off the mechanics well and aren't the type suggested where there is just a static X% chance of it happening.
    Tbf, the big reason right now why it was such a big deal was because HS had an expansion called Whispers of the Old Gods, and one of the Legendary Cards released was a card called Yogg-Saron (Effect: For every spell that was cast during the game, a random spell is cast on random targets equal to the total number of spells cast). There were games that should have been complete shutdowns but because of a really good Yogg-Saron dice roll, the loser would end up being on top, regardless of skill level. A card like Ragnaros is ok random-wise because there is a bit of manipulating the RNG a bit (killing off opposing creatures to minimize the chance that Ragnaros deals 8 damage to something not your target is one thing), but Yogg-Saron is so good with the random effects that almost every deck that was brought into the Summer Championships had Yogg-Saron in it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That's cool and all if we are discussing that train wreck, but I think this discussion was based on Shadow Era. Lol. I'm kidding. The bases of all card games is there is randomness in every game. If you make it so even more randomness is involved then it can turn into the train wreck that the above poster mentioned. Some in small doses is okay. Just as long as they don't do too much where luck outweighs skill it should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylt View Post
    Could be better than fire snake version.