Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Location Synergy Cards

Hi everyone. Recently I posted about how I would love to see cards that bring Locations to life in Shadow Era. I like the idea behind locations, but they are so binary (as in, they either work too well, or not well enough in most cases). If locations were seen more often, it could bring even more diverse effects and interesting interactions and situations. With that in mind I wanted to take my own crack at designing a few cards that I believe would help make running locations more worth it. These may not be balanced at all, but I tried for most of them to be reasonable as well as piercing some interesting design space that locations opened up. With all that said, lets get started:

Reasoning: The first card of the bunch. He's essentially the Puwen you'd want to run if you use a location. He also has some utility later in the game by letting you mess with the active location and bringing some needed control that the game currently lacks. Being an ally, I would assume it would be easier to run than Sinkhole or Groundshift since it won't be a dead draw should there be no locations to mess with. Granted, you could always mess with your own.

Reasoning: I wanted to make this guy playable by making him an ally, but the effect may be better suited to an Artifact (although as an ally the effect can stack, maybe should be Unique). In a deck or meta that locations actually see play, having a 2 cost 2/4 could be a great thing. He also makes opponents a bit more weary of when they play their own locations. He's a great companion to any deck with a location in my opinion. The rest of his ability just helps make him even more flavorful and act as a reason to run him despite locations.

Reasoning: At this point I wanted something that would reward players who play a lot of Locations in one deck. It may be undercosted as if Locations were being played have 3 in play shouldn't be too unlikely. But since the buff takes after how many you played, its probably fine.

Reasoning: This is the only card with no real thought put into it. I just liked the idea of a control card that got better if you used Locations.

Reasoning: I started to think about the Location Stack and what more I could do with it. Then this idea suddenly popped into my head. It's essentially a control card that should take care of any threat. There is some counterplay should your opponent have the ability to mess with locations, not to mention the chance that you could just return it to their hand because it could be the top location regardless thanks to the shuffling. The more locations, the less chance of that happening. Not to mention, it adds another location to the stack to trigger cards like Void Wretch. Maybe shouldn't work on Steadfast allies, but hey, as I said, these aren't going to be perfectly balanced out the gate.

Reasoning: This guy came about with the desire for more Resource Ramp in the game. Ramp decks are among my favorite types of decks to play and I feel they just aren't in Shadow Era because of how poor most ramp cards are. I thought of Devoted Knight and realized I could make a card that turns a Location into a Resource. I wanted it to work on both yours and your opponent's locations, so I added the condition that you had to at least have played one before (which requires them to be in yoru deck also). I made him Neutral just because I'd love to see Ramp in quite a few places without having to make a new card for each class, but that's probably not a great design move and would need ones that suit each class and/or faction. Skipping to 5 Resources on T4 whle having a body out should make this guy playable.

Reasoning: After all the crazy I wanted a simple card that's solid. This is the version I came up with. 3/5 may be a bit low if you don't trigger her effect, but it is in Priest which could make her quite beefy.

Reasoning: Okay back to the crazy. At first glance this card seems horrid, like absolutely unplayable. You pay 4 resources to destroy a large chunk (if not all) of your resources to summon 2/2s. I designed this to be a combo card however. You're supposed to play this when you've set up ways to make this magic infused rock army a force to be reckoned with. Maybe its still a bit too weak despite putting thought into it, but I love the idea regardless. Like Ramp, Combo is a deck type I want to see more of in Shadow Era.

Reasoning: With so many locations that have active abilities, it seemed like a great effect. Seemed to fit Rogue well as well. Locations like Sosilo, Twilight Encampment, and Trading Ports came to mind when designing this one. Especially Trading Ports as it synergies with this card well, as well as cards like Wily Smuggler

Reasoning: Urgh.... without a location template this card took way too long to make an image for. it wasn't really worth it. Regardless, I wanted a Location for weapons and armor. Works with other items as well if you control it. Not sure how useful or playable it is, but I like it. I was kinda tired after making this one not too much thought went into it.

Reasoning: I love Elemental allies and I hope they get to be their own tribe. So I decided to help them with that.... kinda. I didn't really have any specific location in mind, but could work well if you run Valley of Doom and maybe Arthyle's Pass. Not to mention this would trigger Stardust Ampliflyer.

Reasoning: This is card I've always wanted, A token generator! Probably kind of OP for this to be at 3 cost (or maybe the allies beign 2/3s) but something in my gut told me to leave it there. It was originally only going to recycle allies, but I opened it up because of the location condition. You don't have to run locations with this card, but you get a heafty bonus if you do. Needs balancing, but I love the idea.

-------------------------------

I've got a few more written down and designed, but it took me a long time just to make these mock ups that i figured I'd stop here for the time being. Lemme know what you guys think.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I was sorta scrolling through and immediately stopped after seeing buried alive.

This idea is so wonderful. I love it!

Assassin of the coming winter
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi1230 View Post
    I was sorta scrolling through and immediately stopped after seeing buried alive.

It is a great idea, however the card would need to be changed to work as an item or support ability. As an ability, it would immediately go to the graveyard and no longer be in play when (if) the ally comes to the top of the location pile to bounce back to hand. but yes it is an amazing idea

High Ground is probably my favorite
    EveryThing Changes

"The difference between the possible and the impossible lies within a persons determination" -- Tommy Lasorda

Check out my decks and others at Shadowera.net. Shadowera's #1 Super Fan Site!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by maxi1230 View Post

Glad you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Buqs View Post
    It is a great idea, however the card would need to be changed to work as an item or support ability. As an ability, it would immediately go to the graveyard and no longer be in play when (if) the ally comes to the top of the location pile to bounce back to hand. but yes it is an amazing idea

High Ground is probably my favorite
    That's a pretty good point actually. Instead of changing the card type though, I think it just needs to be worded better to say that as a location its effect is to be returned to it's owner's hand.

PFG3 Leader

"Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Great ideas, Demnchi. It is nice to see people embracing the concept and expanding on it in ways we intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi View Post
    That's a pretty good point actually. Instead of changing the card type though, I think it just needs to be worded better to say that as a location its effect is to be returned to it's owner's hand.
    Since it lost all text as an ally, it would just need to become a Location with new controller and non-controller abilities. I wonder if you could give the ally to whoever's turn it is when it gets to the top? That would be cool. Like whoever found the guy is now its master.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Really creative ideas! I especially like abilities and effects that interact with the resource pile.

Conjure Golems and Terra surge are really interesting win cons.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Terra surge doesn't seem worth 5cc. For one, it requires elemental allies. In addition, you have to get them to stick and not die. Then you also have to control multiple locations to gain value, which is very hard to do unless you play multiple locations, or your opponent is using them. All of this combined, and you'll be lucky if you can get +1/+1 on an ally. For 5cc ability, it just has too many hard to meat conditions for mostly limited payoff. Maybe a 5cc ally that destroys ALL locations would be better? It's 5cc. It really might as well destroy all locations. And If it's already an ally, at least you'll know you'll at least he getting some value out of playing it.
    Shadow of the Night
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Seeker of potential, hidden from the light
    Teacher from the darkness, the Shadow of The Night
    To you I bring my knowledge, hidden from plain sight
    And write it in my blog, bringing new things to the fight

IGN: BP Umbra Nox

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Great ideas, Demnchi. It is nice to see people embracing the concept and expanding on it in ways we intended.

Since it lost all text as an ally, it would just need to become a Location with new controller and non-controller abilities. I wonder if you could give the ally to whoever's turn it is when it gets to the top? That would be cool. Like whoever found the guy is now its master.
    Thanks! Glad to hear it.

You could do that if you wanted to. Would certainly make the card more interesting, but would probably have to add a cost to adding him back if your the one who played Bury Alive since he could always end up back on top when he's shuffled in. Oliver Fagin may get jealous otherwise. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    Really creative ideas! I especially like abilities and effects that interact with the resource pile.

Conjure Golems and Terra surge are really interesting win cons.
    Thanks! I really think, like locations, the resource pile is full of potential mechanics!

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra7 View Post
    Terra surge doesn't seem worth 5cc. For one, it requires elemental allies. In addition, you have to get them to stick and not die. Then you also have to control multiple locations to gain value, which is very hard to do unless you play multiple locations, or your opponent is using them. All of this combined, and you'll be lucky if you can get +1/+1 on an ally. For 5cc ability, it just has too many hard to meat conditions for mostly limited payoff. Maybe a 5cc ally that destroys ALL locations would be better? It's 5cc. It really might as well destroy all locations. And If it's already an ally, at least you'll know you'll at least he getting some value out of playing it.
    As it stands now you're probably right that 5cc is too high, right now it would be unlikely to get enough value out of it. However, if we had a few more good (or at least sticky) elemental allies that may not be the case. As for making it an ally, that's quite something else. Buffing your allies by that much AND attaching a body to it would definitely be playable, but perhaps a bit much? I dunno. I'd love to find out though ;3

PFG3 Leader

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Awesome

Sent from my ASUS_Z007 using Tapatalk

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    interesting...I will say that a change to the opponent's side for Arthyle's Pass would be absolutely necessary if synergy with locations were added like this (that location is already so amazing with very little to offer for the opponent side).
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn