Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

WC2016 A1 Burnout1985

Here ya go! Ladies and gentleman, and by Ladies, I mean BP Ross and BlindedEternity, possibly Gondorian as well, I think his beard if fake! Well, on with the show, I'd like to introduce a man we all know and fear ( rightfully so) and get him to answer a few questions for you all! He's done the thing I shall never do and he's here now chatting with me, for you.

Welcome Shadow Era World Champion 2016
    A1 Burnout1985

So here's a few questions for ya, I've gathered from some learned folks, basically, me, myself and I, and BlindedEternity. (The lil troll!) so what say we answer a few.

1) What are ya , what's a little about yourself besides SE, where ya from, when and how did you start playing Shadow Era?
    Hello kip, it's a pleasure to talk with you. I'm Jingtan, im 31y and i come from china.
    I have been playing SE since 2012. A friend of mine told me about this game. When i started playing it, i fell immediately in love.

2) well ya made it to the biggest a show in SE the WC finals, did you really ever imagine getting here?
    Héhé, thanks for the compliment kip. Honestly i have never ever imagined that i could be the world champion 2016! We were talking about WC which is the tournament of the best players!!! Before WC has started, i saying that all i need is luck luck luck and good music

3) you've played a long time, but with the constantly changing meta how did you decide to bring your deck?
    I brought this fat victor to WC mainly because i wanted to play an unusual deck ... in a expected meta. If you are going to bring a standard deck [badu], everybody knows that you have 4 traps 4 here be monster 4 gambits .......My experience told me that i will need potl against badu, warden is for trap and undead build, wotf and soul seaker against zaladar, overwehlm vs moonstalker ....
    The second reason i brought a fat vic is that fat decks do better vs mill prax

4) After the qualifiers and the 32 man playoff for the finals , were you still satisfied with that deck choice? And if not what would you have changed?
    After day1 32 man playoff for the finals, i was satisfied with my deck choice because all [badu zaladar rogue] were favorable for me. My only regret would be retreat instead of poison arrow in my deck. It could help me a lot vs Streets' elementalis

5) when you finally were one of the finalist, you and Streets how did you feel about your match ups? And we're you surprised that it went to an amazing 5th game making for one of the most epic showdowns ever?
    When i was in the final me and Streets, i was really nervous. I knew that elementalis shadowspawn and exalatation was so powerful. I would rater to face Rs Phillipw serena or 17 eclips badu who both did an amazing tournament! But then, something came in my mind; all my brothers in A1 were supporting me.... and i saw a1 hitachi who wrote to me; Burn, it's your chance...!
    Go burn, go winning, its for Caitlyn

6) You have been a member of this community for X yrs, can you give us your thoughts on this gaming community and game and if you wouldn't mind give any SE player out there a few tips on how you managed to get here to the top spot? Help out the noobs, like me!
    I have been playing SE for a long time and i love this community. All my thoughs about SE? This is a great adventure!

7) I really want to know as the winner if the WCs, was the whole chase to the World championships worth it, to you? I know you got great prizes. But the fun, the challenge, the cheering and boos , was it worth it to run this far?
    Playing a tournament is always worth it. This is the place where the players are going to bring their best decks! Challenging those 32 WC players this is the best reward! However i really like the 4x foils every cards too lol

8) What's your favorite card in the game?
    Priest of Light

9) If you could make any card for Shadow Era (OP as balls or not) what would it be and what might it's rules text say?
    Card name: Second Chance: Cost 1cc
    *if any player is starting second in this game, he wins the game!
    That's Op as Hell!

10) Best card artwork in game?
    Eternal Troll No accounting for taste I guess

11) Do you play any other card, tabletop, or video games? If so what's your favorite outside of SE?
    SE is the only game that i play and that i love Loyal customer here Kyle!

12) Would you please give our readers/viewers a few words of wisdom about your experience and how you came to compete this way?
    Yes of course. I think everybody should join a guild and telegram. This is where your adventure starts, this is where you should be if you want to be a better player.
    If you believe in yourself, all your dreams will come true!

Burn, may I call you Burn, guess I should have cleared that up in the begining, oh well. Words to live by my fellow Shadowerians. I'd like to thank you very much for your time and for making 2016 one of the most exciting WCs ever! I'll catch ya later my friend!
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good reading

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hey y'all, I got another Shadow Era World Champ Finalist to sit down with me for a few minutes and answer some questions. So without further adue let me introduce the man himself who lost me 100SC because I bet against his hero!.....

RS PhillipW

1) What are ya , what's a little about yourself besides SE, where ya from, when and how did you start playing Shadow Era?
    Hey Kip! I’m Phillip, 38 y/o from Australia. I was first introduced to SE by my brother back in 2011. I returned to SE around mid-2015 after taking a three year break from the game. So much had changed during this time!
    I honestly had no idea you used to play, but it explains why you picked everything so darn fast!

2) Well ya made it to the biggest a show in SE the WC finals, did you really ever imagine getting here?
    I never imagined that I would qualify for the WC, let alone a top 4 finish!

[b]3) Youve played a long time, but with the constantly changing meta how did you decide to bring your deck? [/]
    My main hero since LL was released had been Garth but going into the WC I expected mages (Loest and Mijaya) and Zaladar to be greatly represented so I opted to use Serena instead as she stood a better chance against them. Having seen Undead Moonstalker win two of the wild cards and Vince winning the WC with this last year, I decided to include some moonstalker tech cards to help me with this matchup – groundshift, spirit warden and Oliver Fagin.

4) after the qualifiers and the 32 man playoff for the finals , were you still satisfied with that deck choice? And if not what would you have changed?
    Looking back over my matchups for the WC, Garth would have been a better choice particularly for day 2. For all my three matchups on day 2, Garth would have faired better (Moonstalker, Elementalis & Baduruu). Surprisingly there was not Zaladar or mages used in the WC.
    So Garth, eh? I don't know but your the top so I'll not question it.

5) When you finally were one of the finalist, top 8 man! I'll tell you I bet against your hero choice but I would have lost money! How did ya feel about your match ups?
    Moonstalker is normally a bad matchup for Serena but I had teched my Serena for Moonstalker so was fairly confident going into the match. Normally Serena does well vs Elementalis but Streets Ele with the T4 shadow spawns just wrecked my poor Serena. I couldn’t get any momentum. Ford’s Undead Baduruu was also a very bad matchup for me.

6) You have been a member of this community for X yrs, can you give us your thoughts on this gaming community and game and if you wouldn't mind give any SE player out there a few tips on how you managed to get here to the top spot? Help out the noobs, like me!
    SE has one of the best and most helpful communities from the games that I have played. I would recommend all players should join a guild. Being a part of a guild has definitely help me improve my game.
    Friends helping friends slaughter the comoetition! I love it!

7) I really want to know as a Finalist if the WCs, was the whole chase to the World championships worth it, to you? I know you got great prizes. But the fun, the challenge, the cheering and boos , was it worth it to run this far?
    Being able to compete against the best players in SE has been a great and rewarding experience for me. Getting the full foil set was a bonus!
    Simply the honor of being there....to humble buddy, you earned that spot big time!

Serena’s Cutlass (nothing more satisfying than stealing a tidal wave from your opponent’s hand or a fireball for the win!).
    As an old Serena player , Thoughtrippers Cutlass brought her right back to life, but as a current mage player, it's one of the biggest pains in the ass!

9) If you could make any card for Shadow Era (OP as balls or not) what would it be and what's it text and flavour text say?
    Shapeshifter – Shadow Ally [unique] 5cc */* - When Shapeshifter is summoned it gains the base attack, health and abilities of target ally in play.
    No Flavor text? Allow me.... "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, especially right before I kill you!"

Aeon Stormcaller
    [b]Original or Alt art? Dam, I'll never know![/]

11) Do you play any other card, tabletop, or video games? If so what's your favorite outside of SE?
    Mainly PS4. Currently playing Final Fantasy XV and Uncharted 4.

12) Would you please give our readers/viewers a few words of wisdom about your experience and how you came to compete this way? Your philosophy of winning?
    Every player should join a Guild. It is a great way to learn the game, bounce ideas off guildies and to try out new and weird decks!

[b] That's true my friend, community in SE is amazing and guilds can enhance that! Well , Phillip, it's been an honor and pleasure chatting with you and I know I'll see you on the field. Thank you very much for your time and for making this years World Championships very exciting! But I'm afraid I'll have to cal, ya, "The Wundá from down Undá" from now on. Thank again Phillp.
    A1 kip thorp

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    hey kp hows it going i see your doing guild signups? but anyways im trying to get my favorit deck and i need advice plz help;P

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hey Kdogg, I hope you posted your deck in the strategy section here on the forums, and maybe bring it to TG where the real players can help you out.

Now to rerail this derail and on to the next interview.
    A1 kip thorp

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ladies and Gents let me introduce the second place winner of this years World Champoinships.
    TJ StreetsAhead

What are ya , what's a little about yourself besides SE, where ya from, when and how did you start playing Shadowera?
    I'm 31, live in WA state USA. I'm an electrical contractor, father of a 3 month old baby, husband of 10 years.
    I started playing SE because I got bored shopping with my wife and wanted something quick to do while she was in the changing rooms lol. I started in COTC, been playing 4 or 5 years.

Well ya made it to the biggest a show in SE the WC finals, did you really ever imagine getting here?
    Imagined it yes, but I didn't actually think I could get that far, but of course I hoped I could. I take WC very seriously, so I try my hardest.
    I'm still trying to figure out who you bribed?

You've played a long time, but with the constantly changing meta how did you decide to bring your deck?
    I actually reverse engineered it. I knew I wanted something with a bit of a secret weapon. Something that could really swing matches hard in my favor. I chose shadowspawn as that backbone. I practiced with several hero's, but Elementalis pulls it off so flawlessly without losing tempo. Baduruu, Vic, Serena, Boris, and a few others can really get derailed by a well timed Shadowspawn. I also figured there would be a lot of people playing it safe so to speak, and running very well teched midrange decks. In my testing, I was able to push ele straight through that kind of stuff. It's actually kind of funny, during and after day 1, I had several people comment on how meeting a garth would have ended me. But ironically, testing against garth with my other deck choices are what made me choose Elementalis. In testing, I was able to get through Garth fairly consistently, unlike my other choices.

4) after the qualifiers and the 32 man playoff for the finals , were you still satisfied with that deck choice? And if not what would you have changed?
    I was definitely happy with the choice. I'm the kind of player who really enjoys performing well with something that isn't mainstream, so getting a dark horse hero to #2 in WC felt amazing.
    I only had 1 card choice I regretted in the deck, it was last minute tech. Discharge.

5) when you finally were one of the finalist, how did you feel about your match ups?
    Going into facing Baduruu I was very confident at first. But we ran a couple practice matches just to see. It turned out bobcat baduruu was a pretty tough matchup. Shadowspawn could end his game on t4, but of course I can't play it
    if he destroys my resources. So I kind of started getting worried, and spent most of the night just practicing against baduruu to get my strategy just right. I ran out of time to practice for the others, which would have helped.
    Against Serena I wasn't sure what to expect. With black garb I knew I'd have trouble, and Phillip had piloted Serena so well I knew it'd be tough. Ultimately shadowspawn and patience helped me win the round. Vermin was key too.
    I had high hopes going against burnout. I had a trimmed 41 card deck with 4 shadowspawn against his 60 card vic. Mathematically it seems impossible how many times he drew poison arrow over me drawing shadowspawn. And the kicker is he only had 3 poison arrows! Lol

So counting is fundamental, eh?

Well I don't really play anything else. Shadow Era is my only hobby, Besides those romps in the woods! #HTF I rarely get a chance to even turn on my Playstation. I think that's due to a combination of awesome people in our little universe, a game I'm hopelessly addicted to, and it being so easy to get a quick competetive fix from a QM. I suppose Id say like anything, it takes practice. Practice helps you not make those dumb mistakes that will cost you a game. Start playing, a lot, now. I'll be surprised if Anyone who actively plays like 10 other games ever wins a WC

7) I really want to know as the winner in the WCs, was the whole chase to the World championships worth it, to you? I know you got great prizes. But the fun, the challenge, the cheering and boos , was it worth it to run this far?
    WC is my absolute favorite event. If there weren't annual championships, I doubt I would have stayed. It kind of makes my waste of time hobby I goof off with all year "real" lol.
    I also very much enjoyed the thrill of getting to the point of being on the center stage, and although I was crazy nervous in those final games, I was really enjoying myself, which is what it's all about. I was super excited to be a part of giving everyone a great exciting grand final to watch.

Now? I'll let you guess Kip.
    Selfishness , no doubt!

9) If you could make any card for Shadow Era (OP as balls or not) what would it be and what might it's rules text say?
    I like stuff that really thinks outside the box and really changes mechanics.
    I've always wanted a card along the lines of:
    Into the Shadows
    All your allies are turned face down and shuffled. Allies you summon come into play face down.
    If an ally you control is successfully targeted by an attack or ability, it is turned face up.
    I just think it would make for a great mind game mechanic. Could work well for rogues, hunters, or Wulven.

Flavor text! "If ya wanna see it, ya gotta hit it!"

Entangled Wisp. Total Dr. Manhattan ripoff but I love the art.

I play settlers of Catan with the wife. I recently just got ahold of cosmic encounter, which is a super rare boardgame. I love the metal gear solid franchise, I have the newest one but so far I've only chosen my facial hair. sombody likes furry guys! I really don't usually have more than 15 minutes to play a game, that's why I really only play Shadow Era.

12) Would you please give our readers/viewers a few words of wisdom about your experience and how you came to compete this way?
    Did I say practice already? I did?
    Ok, then joining Team Juggernauts would be the only other way to be OP I can think of...Oh! And let me throw a thank you out there to all my team mates, it's cliché but I really couldn't have done it without you guys (and girl) Also I love my Samj.

And by girl we know, We love SamJ as well! Streets ahead, I'm so very greatfull you took your time to sit with me for a few and let the SE community into that complicated , never completed , always behind schedule and over budget mind of yours! You put on one hell of a show this year my friend, I look forward to another great season with you as a constant target! Thank you TJ StreetsAhead!
    A1 kip thorp

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    So mister kip, how come you don't transfer all of these onto a blog? It would certainly make for easier navigation through all of the interviews. Each interview can be it's own blog post, and then you can link all of the blog posts onto a central thread in the game discussions forums
    Shadow of the Night
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Seeker of potential, hidden from the light
    Teacher from the darkness, the Shadow of The Night
    To you I bring my knowledge, hidden from plain sight
    And write it in my blog, bringing new things to the fight

IGN: BP Umbra Nox

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    hmm u can make this a blog just by stalking kip lastest post make sure u bookmark it
    Member of Alliance One
    nice place to make friends

A1 Beantalk treasure box
    Top 8 WC2016 | Top 8 WC2017 | Top 32 WC2018 | Champ WC2019 | Top 16 WC2020
    Damn its been a long time i play this game

I would like to apologize to anyone i have not yet offended, please be patient.
    I will get to you shortly.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for hosting these interviews
    I almost miss out these interviews of wc finalist

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra7 View Post
    So mister kip, how come you don't transfer all of these onto a blog? It would certainly make for easier navigation through all of the interviews. Each interview can be it's own blog post, and then you can link all of the blog posts onto a central thread in the game discussions forums
    I did not know that, good idea.
    A1 kip thorp