Close

Thread: Decks, Techs

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Decks, Tech's and getting in the zone!

Howdy y'all, Kip Dork here, I figured since I've got a little time to spare and a lot of old ideas to share I'd waste a few minutes of your time. Why not, we're all playing this game for one reason or another and why not spread the joy. Basically, this kinda sums up what I've learned from some of the top players in A1 and the entire SE community over quite a few years. I've had the pleasure, for the most part, of getting to know these players their styles , techniques and strategy. So why not spoil a few trade secrets! I'm sure they won't mind, because I won't mention a single one by name and they can't get pissed if if they aren't sure it's them, but trust me, they know, and I hope I pissed em off a little bit!

So starting from the top. And'a 1-2, ah 1-2-3-4. (Any musician will get that)

Decks

Simply put , your deck is a collection of cards you find useful with your hero and the style of play you want from that hero, Rush, agro, control and many variations on those themes. The most important part I've seen from these players is deck consistency. What's that, well that's having just the right amount of the right cards in your deck so the odds are you'll draw that t2 or t4 card by the time you want it. Whether that's to set up your play field as in a rush deck where you want allies on the board fast and consistently or if your playing a warrior and you want Blood Frenzy by turn 3 for draw. You need the right amount of cards there for good probability. That usually means 4x of that card, but sometimes it means 3x or if your looking for a late game card, then 1x is rare, but if you get it when you need it and don't have to sacrifice around it until t5-6. Then it's a good choice.
    So wtf is Kip saying? I'm saying , look at your deck, if you've got more than 40 cards (yes I know decks are growing and winning but let's just start here), and your not playing a mill deck, then you might wanna trim a few cards you find your sacrificing. In the end you'll get the cards you need when you want and you'll tune your deck into a fine killing machine. Which leads us to the next topic.

Tech'ing

Well simply put, this is tuning your deck to the current meta or to counter the meta. Wtf? Well if there's a lot of attachment heros, you need attachment removal, or if there hunters w weapons all over the place you need weapon removal or small allies to beat that weapon down , (what we call meat shields) allies that take damage instead of your hero. The best tech'ed deck I every played was Toolbox Aramia, she had an answer to almost any deck in that meta and took me to my all time high of 354. (Which is nothing because A1Otto7 is holding a 400 now, makes me feel small). But anyhow, that deck was well thought out and tested and it caused Aramia's key cards to get nerfed. Oh well , Sh*t happens. It's an example of extreme, teching, if you played it right , if you knew your enemy you had a good shot of winning. Trust me, no matter the deck out there, there is a tech against it, should you tech vs only one deck, no, unless your in a tourney, because in the ratings race you'll never know what you face. So overall tech is better....but Kip, how can I know my enemy? How can I use this info if it's random in the Rating race! Well that's the next point.

Getting in the Zone!

What? Zone? What zone?
    Well my friends it's where you will find yourself once you begin to know your deck, what your cards are and what's best used against your enemy. You gotta play a lot of games, you gotta learn what each hero does and the different ways they can use their abilities. You've heard of synergy? Well, it's what cards play well with a hero, what combos and different cards work well with a hero's ability and the specific playstyle of that deck. Is it control Zhanna or attachment Jericho? Those Priests all have deck variations and if you can figure out which on they are playing early enough, you are in the Zone and have a better chance of winning!
    Trust me, not figuring out your playing vs Embers Jericho early, will kill you. The key, starve him of allies, kill him w anything else you got. (Mostly Mages could do this, but Hunters and Wulven stood a good chance to). Getting in the zone really means knowing your deck and your enemy as well as you can and sacrificing wisely to make sure you have the useful cards you need when you need them. It really is like being able to see what cards they have and countering ever one as it comes to play.

So , Get in the Zone!
    (I'm ready to get the crap trolled outta me by you top players, so go ahead and have some fun, but really if you think about anything can get teched against and if you find that key and use it well, you to will be a Meta maker!)

What I wanna see here are some great tips and tricks from top players, I wanna see what you guys have done to make or break the meta and how you go about it!

Kip thorp,
    wishing you great battles and hearty victories (if not, go tech again!)
    Last edited by Kip thorp; 09-30-2016 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Wrong button!
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Play your deck to death before making tweaks. Knowing your deck inside out will allow you to play better. Changing it too regularly can often just result in frustration

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Guild secrets!!!!

/Colosal takes notes

in the Graveyard,Amongst the fallen blades
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    agro and rush are the same thing just sayain :P

also good write up has a lot of good points and good advice for any player
    Avenger Of The Fallen Blade,
    Warriors Of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness , Reborn

LDL CHAMPION 23 APR 13
    Season 15 Ranking: 65
    Season 22 Ranking: 88

Blue Phoneix Guild Leader

JOIN THE MOST EPIC GUILD EVER: Warriors of The Blue Phoenix

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread.php?19877-Guild-Warriors-of-the-Blue-Phoenix-Greatness-Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Great article Kip, thank you!

I have 2 points that I have learned and try to use to build a deck:

1) To keep your deck size low you sometimes have to find a compromise in your teching.
    Example: You play Elementals and you need weapon hate as Amber and Baduuru are meta. So you want to fit in 2 Shriek of Vengeance and 2 Ley Line Nexus, but space is an issue and you have only space for 2 cards. A good compromise would be 2 Acid Jet instead of having 1 LLN and 1 SoV. Acid Jet is weaker, but you have a higher possibility to draw into an out that fits the meta as to hope to draw the 1-of tech.

2) 1-of cards that are key tech against certain decks are usually a bad idea. You will have a low possibility to draw into it and it could be at the bottom of your deck and you're screwed. Also the opponent could have an out for it.
    Example: Spell-Eater-Bands against Mages and Zaladar.

There are some excuses:
    1. Seek-> e.g. Aramia can search a one of card easily
    2. Cards you can only use once -> e.g. Enrage as it is unique
    3. You are teched against everything and you want a card that makes you even stronger against a certain strategy
    IGN: A1 Mananexus
    Telegram: @Mananexus

A1-Alliance - Evolution in Theory
    a1-alliance.freeforums.net
    You want to be a part of A1-Alliance? Check out the link right here!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It would be helpful, to newcomers, if someone was to explain all the jargon.
    Buff, scruff, rush and scrabble, make no sense if you dont know what it all means.
    We tend to take lots of those words for granted.
    Compliment for the thread, its a nice one.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi Kip Thorp (and the others of course).
    Thank you for your intesting post. There's one thing that I disagree with you, it's about to limit your deck at strictly 40 cards.
    I think it should be 40 cards + draw engines, because in some ways draw engine are free cards. Though it is just a detail.
    And draw engine are really useful as they you a big advantadge in board control.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Kip you music intro was lacking one small thing. Bubbles!

Nice article. To tech or not to tech is feel thing but for tourneys. Generally for the ladder I pick a fun deck that has good general utility and try to hang on from there.

Resident Sapper of E2E
    IGN: E2E BallyWorld
    Common Hero: Victor, Serena, and Gwyn

Resident Sapper and Proud Member of E2E: Enlisted to Endure.

"For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." Luke 15:24
    "This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Romans 3:22-24

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfCyr View Post
    Hi Kip Thorp (and the others of course).
    Thank you for your intesting post. There's one thing that I disagree with you, it's about to limit your deck at strictly 40 cards.
    I think it should be 40 cards + draw engines, because in some ways draw engine are free cards. Though it is just a detail.
    And draw engine are really useful as they you a big advantadge in board control.
    Now this is what I wanna hear, there are a lot of fatter decks out there and this strat might be a good explination why.

Thanks you all you others. Let's get some new tips in here from other SE players.
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Im not bothered my decks over 60 .. I mean u buy decks that big on the game ... and fat decks should be fine if stalling isn't a issue
    Duelers Ascent : Leader
    Tellegram : @DaEzio

DA Website : http://duelistascent.simdif.com/