Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Post Dev Update: Automated Tournaments

It's only been a few days since the community voted that Automated Tournaments should be our next priority. And here's the first development update!

The new development team has mostly been busy this week going over the requirements and the game code that has already been done. Already they have updated the tournament bracket drawing to use the new GUI system, and it's looking pretty good! And more importantly, it properly resizes to all screen sizes and aspect ratios.

Now let's have a reminder about what the automated tournaments will be, and go over some of the features.

Entry Fees

700 shadow crystals for drafts (6 packs)
    500 shadow crystals for meltdown (4 packs)
    100 shadow crystals for constructed (use your own cards)

The entry fee is taken from each player as soon as they join a tournament. This is to discourage people from not waiting for more players. Players will keep the cards they get in meltdown, or that they choose in drafts.

Rewards

8 player tournament: 1st place = 500 shadow crystals + 1 prize pack. 2nd place = 200 shadow crystals.
    4 player tournament: 1st place = 250 shadow crystals. 2nd place = 100 shadow crystals.
    The rewards will be automatically given to the player at the end of their final match.

Other Features

A tournament room chat tab will allow players to communicate with each other.
    Players are free to leave the tournament screen while they are waiting for the next game to start. A popup message will alert them when their opponent is ready, and they will have 2 minutes to start their next match. We also have plans for remote push notifications, so you won't even need to have the app open to know when your tournament is ready.
    Observers can view a tournament in progress and watch live games, or replay previous matches.

Release Plan

As was demonstrated in a live stream some time ago, the basic functionality of the automated tournament system is already complete and working. The remaining tasks involving updating the GUI and bugfixing.

We are planning to put it on the public test server in October for player feedback. Current estimate is mid-November for a live release, starting with constructed tournaments only. Meltdown tournaments will be added in a later release, then additional tournament options, and finally booster draft tournaments.

That's about it for now! Please feel free to give your comments or any ideas you have for this new feature!
    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Sakura `*✲

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Looks cool!
    How about:
    1. Bigger tournaments.
    2. Other entry costs with different prices, e.g. 1000 Gold entry cost with the 1.price being: 3000 gold
    3. special big weeky/monthly wulven advertised tournaments with special prizes like legendary cards/sleeves/playmats/special foils.

Very cool to have a release time!

Edit: Oh and I just notice I am in that bracket haha
    Last edited by maxi1230; 09-16-2016 at 06:04 PM.

Assassin of the coming winter
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I sincerely like your example bracket

YOU'RE IMPLEMENTATING DRAFTS!!! THANK YOU!!
    Last edited by streetsahead; 09-16-2016 at 06:30 PM.
    Proud Member of Team Juggernauts

Top 8 finish in WC 2017
    2nd place finish in WC 2016
    10th place finish in WC 2015
    Top 32 finish in WC 2014

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Can you even make a deck out of 6 pack for draft??
    IGN: Nataku Wolf

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, like in mtg you're allowed to add your own land cards to finish off your Deck. I would like to see you be allowed to use any hero for the cards you drafted, although that would make the hero in the pack a dead card

Top 8 finish in WC 2017
    Top 32 finish in WC 2014

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like the idea of bigger special tournaments! We'll likely add that in a future update.

For drafting, the digital version will follow the established rules of the physical version.

"During a booster draft, the players will receive a number of boosters equal to the format being used (6-8). To start, each player opens one pack at the same time, removes the Redemption card and hero card (excluding any foils) and places it in the middle, then selects one card from the pack and passes the pack to the left. The card selected does NOT need to be usable in the final deck's construction. When the player is handed a booster from the person to their right, they again select one card and pass the pack to the left. This is continued until the booster pack is emptied. Once the pack is emptied the players will open their next pack, draft a card, and pass the cards to the right. The 3rd pack will be drafted and passed to the left. The process continues until all boosters are emptied and players have drafted the appropriate number of cards. At this point, the players will construct the best deck possible. The players are allowed to bring a set of their own personal heroes for use with their deck. If a player does not draft the needed cards to construct a deck then they will forfeit the tournament."

"6 Pack: During a 6 Pack Draft, the deck limit is reduced to 30 cards minimum (including hero). All Class and Faction restrictions are in place."

For more information about physical formats, you can read here:
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....imited-Formats
    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Sakura `*✲

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Very nice. Just to add extra work for the new dev team, I think your total tournament performance should be tracked in game, either by total 1st/2nds or by having an ELO ranking that changes based on tournament performance. This becomes the additional incentive to take part, aside from the prizes, in the same way that people compete to get in the Top 100 rated regardless of there being no prizes for it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This looks awesome. I can't wait for it to be live.
    The Paladin of Punxsutawney
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Shadows R Us

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've never been more excited for anything in this game. Thank you so much! Drafting is my favorite format.

Top 8 finish in WC 2017
    Top 32 finish in WC 2014

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Loving it! Draft and even meltdown look fun in that format.

With that said I don't think you should give SC as a reward.

Stuff like Gold, pac, sleeves, packs, mat, or keeping the cards you get in draft/meltdown. Having a different bundle of goodies each week will keep the format interesting as well.
    Evolving Through Change

"I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met Jasmine. We ate lobster, drank Piņa Coladas. At sunset we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over and over and over?"