Close

View Poll Results: What feature should the dev team focus on next?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guilds

17 9.50%
  • Automated tournaments

65 36.31%
  • Player auctions

10 5.59%
  • SFX for every card

7 3.91%
  • New game modes, eg 2v2

54 30.17%
  • Improved ranking system with leagues

11 6.15%
  • Improved deck builder and other GUI overhaul

15 8.38%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlanketEffect View Post
    Everyone commenting, also remember to actually cast your official vote up top in the poll. If all you do is voice your opinion, it doesn't get tallied towards the winner.
    Yes. If you're on Tapatalk, you need to go here to vote in your web browser:

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....-of-Shadow-Era!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by BlanketEffect View Post
    New features or GUI are the way to go. We already organize tourneys. Could it be better? Yes. But that's why it's still on the list for later. What we do NOT have an alternative way to do is things like 2v2 and other GUI improvements. We can't "fake" those through Telegram like we can tournaments.

Tourney automation is cool, but absolutely doesn't need to be the first thing done; we already have a way to do that. Let's get something new.
    Thats not the point. Automated tournament will reach the entire player pool and generate steady cash flow for Wulven. Same with the auction and guild features. Rating/scoring and GUI improvements can be done after that imo.

While exciting 2v2 is a high risk/low reward project.
    Last edited by Xander Spitfire; 09-10-2016 at 07:18 PM.
    Evolving Through Change

"I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met Jasmine. We ate lobster, drank Piña Coladas. At sunset we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over and over and over?"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by neratza713 View Post
    quick question;
    Does the score for each category matter? I mean, if the automated tournaments get the majority of votes, followed by new game modes, followed by guilds etc, will the same priority apply on future features?
    We will work on the voted feature until it's done and released, and then have another vote for the next one.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I really look forward to the player auctions. I reckon Kip Thorp will go for a lot of money.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    I really look forward to the player auctions. I reckon Kip Thorp will go for a lot of money.
    Should since there 2 off them I'll start bidding at $5
    IGN: Nataku Wolf

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander Spitfire View Post
    Thats not the point. Automated tournament will reach the entire player pool and generate steady cash flow for Wulven. Same with the auction and guild features. Rating/scoring and GUI improvements can be done after that imo.

While exciting 2v2 is a high risk/low reward project.
    I don't disagree with you, but it's not quite so simple as that.

Automated tournaments will make them money, and it will strengthen the existing player base (by exposing tournament formats to players who have never participated in one before or weren't even aware they existed); all good things.

Details on an auction system so far are sorta non-existent (from what I can tell), but its safe to assume it would likely bring in more revenue. Even if they aren't cash auctions, auctions run with Shadow crystals would still encourage more players to buy crystals, or watch more ads. Foil trading (if that's what they're planning) wouldn't really make them money, but it could strengthen the community as players trade favorite foil cards around and get to know each other.

Guild Features are also vague at the moment. Maybe joining or creating a Guild would have a crystal price, but I don't see that generating much revenue in the long run, just a little extra up front. However it would strengthen the sense of community among existing players (as a side note on 2v2, I think Guilds should definitely be implemented before 2v2 battles are introduced, as guilds would naturally lend themselves towards teaming up for 2v2 matches and would be much better received than making random partner pairing the primary way to play 2v2).

However, while all of these things benefit current players, I don't see them doing all that much to draw in new players, at least not when compared to improved UI or SFX. Improved UI or SFX wouldn't make a huge difference for most current players (we already like and play the game, making it prettier is less important to most of us than giving us more ways to play), but it would be big for marketing.

"Check out this cool game, now you can play in tournaments!": This likely isn't going to make anyone start playing Shadow Era if that don't already. A prospective new player won't care about the option of tournaments, and it certainly won't be the thing that draws them in to give the game a try. As a new player, they'd probably avoid the tournament features altogether (at least for a while) since they'd have a sense that they don't yet have the cards/skill/experience/knowledge to succeed in a competitive format; spending money to compete in a game you haven't yet fully grasped just doesn't make sense.

"Check out this cool game, now you can join guilds!": Has the option of being in a guild ever been enough to convince someone to play a game? Especially if you're playing on mobile, there is certainly no shortage of "social" games that let you form or join guilds/teams/clans/etc. This might draw in some new players simply by giving current players the chance to entice their friends into playing by saying they can join their guild to help them out, but beyond that, I don't see new players caring much or even bothering to join a guild until they get to know the game or some of the people playing it.

"Check out this cool game, see how awesome it looks/sounds!": Again, its a minor improvement for those of us that play Shadow Era, but screenshots, ads, gameplay, etc that looks and sounds good can go a long way towards getting new players to try your game. Do you think Hearthstone is the enormous commercial, streaming, and esports success that it is because its gameplay is just that much deeper, more compelling, and more interesting than other TCGs? Bright colors, big pictures, sounds, and special effects all make that game extremely appealing to anyone just seeing it (also having a industry titan like Blizzard supporting it helps a lot). Its also important to remember that while upgrades to the games presentation won't likely bring in much, if any, extra revenue from the existing playerbase, it would bring in revenue from any new players drawn in as they either spend money or watch ads.

tl;dr: Some features strengthen the existing playerbase by giving them more to do, and makes money by providing more ways for existing players to spend money. Other features expand the playerbase by making the game more marketable towards prospective new players, and makes money by bringing in new players who will spend money or watch ads just as current players do.

Is it better to strengthen the current playerbase, or expand it by enticing new faces with pretty effects? I don't really know, but judging by the current state of the poll, we'll likely be going with the former, and that's fine by me. I'm not saying that presentation updates are the best option, they might not be, and frankly a lot of the possible new features for current players sound exciting to me. Just wanted to point out that it wouldn't be as much of a meaningless, superficial update as it may seem.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Finny the Poo View Post
    I don't disagree with you, but it's not quite so simple as that.

Automated tournaments will make them money, and it will strengthen the existing player base (by exposing tournament formats to players who have never participated in one before or weren't even aware they existed); all good things.

Details on an auction system so far are sorta non-existent (from what I can tell), but its safe to assume it would likely bring in more revenue. Even if they aren't cash auctions, auctions run with Shadow crystals would still encourage more players to buy crystals, or watch more ads. Foil trading (if that's what they're planning) wouldn't really make them money, but it could strengthen the community as players trade favorite foil cards around and get to know each other.

Guild Features are also vague at the moment. Maybe joining or creating a Guild would have a crystal price, but I don't see that generating much revenue in the long run, just a little extra up front. However it would strengthen the sense of community among existing players (as a side note on 2v2, I think Guilds should definitely be implemented before 2v2 battles are introduced, as guilds would naturally lend themselves towards teaming up for 2v2 matches and would be much better received than making random partner pairing the primary way to play 2v2).

However, while all of these things benefit current players, I don't see them doing all that much to draw in new players, at least not when compared to improved UI or SFX. Improved UI or SFX wouldn't make a huge difference for most current players (we already like and play the game, making it prettier is less important to most of us than giving us more ways to play), but it would be big for marketing.

"Check out this cool game, now you can play in tournaments!": This likely isn't going to make anyone start playing Shadow Era if that don't already. A prospective new player won't care about the option of tournaments, and it certainly won't be the thing that draws them in to give the game a try. As a new player, they'd probably avoid the tournament features altogether (at least for a while) since they'd have a sense that they don't yet have the cards/skill/experience/knowledge to succeed in a competitive format; spending money to compete in a game you haven't yet fully grasped just doesn't make sense.

"Check out this cool game, now you can join guilds!": Has the option of being in a guild ever been enough to convince someone to play a game? Especially if you're playing on mobile, there is certainly no shortage of "social" games that let you form or join guilds/teams/clans/etc. This might draw in some new players simply by giving current players the chance to entice their friends into playing by saying they can join their guild to help them out, but beyond that, I don't see new players caring much or even bothering to join a guild until they get to know the game or some of the people playing it.

"Check out this cool game, see how awesome it looks/sounds!": Again, its a minor improvement for those of us that play Shadow Era, but screenshots, ads, gameplay, etc that looks and sounds good can go a long way towards getting new players to try your game. Do you think Hearthstone is the enormous commercial, streaming, and esports success that it is because its gameplay is just that much deeper, more compelling, and more interesting than other TCGs? Bright colors, big pictures, sounds, and special effects all make that game extremely appealing to anyone just seeing it (also having a industry titan like Blizzard supporting it helps a lot). Its also important to remember that while upgrades to the games presentation won't likely bring in much, if any, extra revenue from the existing playerbase, it would bring in revenue from any new players drawn in as they either spend money or watch ads.

tl;dr: Some features strengthen the existing playerbase by giving them more to do, and makes money by providing more ways for existing players to spend money. Other features expand the playerbase by making the game more marketable towards prospective new players, and makes money by bringing in new players who will spend money or watch ads just as current players do.

Is it better to strengthen the current playerbase, or expand it by enticing new faces with pretty effects? I don't really know, but judging by the current state of the poll, we'll likely be going with the former, and that's fine by me. I'm not saying that presentation updates are the best option, they might not be, and frankly a lot of the possible new features for current players sound exciting to me. Just wanted to point out that it wouldn't be as much of a meaningless, superficial update as it may seem.
    As I see it , all these features wouldn't be towards getting new players but keeping the game interesting so it keeps its players. Guilds, tournaments and new ranking system would make the game more interesting for existing and new players (after a while). While everything else improves the appearance of the game. Plush about the money part, a new player trying the game isn't gonna pay anything(or just a little to get started). Old players tho (meaning both the current players and new that stay for a while) sooner or later will give some for more cards more foils or sth.

Ohh and about HS, blizzard could make anything succesful
    A1 - Evolution in Theory

How to join A1

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ive been playing since The first versión of The game. Definetly new gane modes like 2v2 is what SE needs!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Finny the Poo View Post
    Player Auctions: Sell your Foils... hmm, are the devs reading my posts?
    /me falls over laughing

(Anyone who's been here for more than five years with me, feel free to giggle along xD)

I kid, Wulven ☺️. I love you the best way a customer can: with my continued supply of money.
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Here here, Tournaments!

Btw, if any Wulven staff looking, is there any chance of bringing ads for SC to Kindle devices?

Of course, I understand you got more important things to deal with, just wondering.