Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Weird ratings matchups

I understand how difficult it would be matching up even rated players every turn but some of these recent games have been bizarre. Going from a player rated 309 which I won (he had popular Ythan Templar deck which is easy to beat if you can control the field) to a 183 rated player that I lost to and convincingly as he had a mean GRAVEBONE combination that kept surprising. It occured to me that what has made this game fairly consistently interesting is these mixed matchups which spring surprises. Are other players experiencing these matches.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien Fungus View Post
    I understand how difficult it would be matching up even rated players every turn but some of these recent games have been bizarre. Going from a player rated 309 which I won (he had popular Ythan Templar deck which is easy to beat if you can control the field) to a 183 rated player that I lost to and convincingly as he had a mean GRAVEBONE combination that kept surprising. It occured to me that what has made this game fairly consistently interesting is these mixed matchups which spring surprises. Are other players experiencing these matches.
    I'd be interested to hear about more experiences too. In terms of the actual pairing though, where was your rating at the time? If it was mid-way between then I can totally understand how you got those pairings.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    I'd be interested to hear about more experiences too. In terms of the actual pairing though, where was your rating at the time? If it was mid-way between then I can totally understand how you got those pairings.
    At times it will pair people over 125 rating apart, I imagine it is just having trouble finding someone else when it does that though.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This is somewhat unrelated to the pairing issue and more related to the OP's comment of more fun at lower ratings. I wanted to echo that I find the game most enjoyable that the beginning of the season with the rating reset. As we are climbing up the ratings there are more deck and hero variety around the 200 range which falls off at 300. As the OP mentions, some of these decks can be quite tough and surprising if the right cards are in play but are held back due to consistency. This is bit of an odd request but I would be really happy to have a game feature where a player could self cap themselves at 250 or 225 rating. However, this could be a double edged sword as the other player may not appreciate facing a perceived "high rated" tuned deck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think I was about 220-230 at the time so you are correct

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Asazal View Post
    This is somewhat unrelated to the pairing issue and more related to the OP's comment of more fun at lower ratings. I wanted to echo that I find the game most enjoyable that the beginning of the season with the rating reset. As we are climbing up the ratings there are more deck and hero variety around the 200 range which falls off at 300. As the OP mentions, some of these decks can be quite tough and surprising if the right cards are in play but are held back due to consistency. This is bit of an odd request but I would be really happy to have a game feature where a player could self cap themselves at 250 or 225 rating. However, this could be a double edged sword as the other player may not appreciate facing a perceived "high rated" tuned deck.
    I could not agree more. I love playing the 200-220 mark because you find some really interesting decks, most are situational in a way and fail more times than not but they are so innovative and fun to pull off. I 'borrowed' a couple myself. Pity I ended up trashing them and can't remember what they were. I don't know about the 'cap' idea. I've had a lucky run lately and went up to 264 rating and now I get Justicar's Cape and Moment of Aquience and Templars. Higher rated games mean you generally have to think a bit more and I'm still trying to work out if excessive thinking is good for me.....and mankind