Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Resolution not Saving

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit.
    Game version v3.1420

I've installed using the Shadow Era Launcher and when the unity graphics setting appears during the launch steps, it always ignores whatever graphic/resolution settings I choose. I can't switch between fullscreen or window(unless I alt + enter) and I can't choose a resolution, its always stuck at a low one. So using alt+enter to go fullscreen only gives me a blurry resolution because its lower than my screen.

I have run the launcher as Admin. I have run shadowera.exe as Admin. I have uninstalled the game and deleted all files I could find including the .../appdata/locallow/wulven game studios/... I've restarted the computer too.

And what irks me is my brother does not have this problem on his Windows 8 laptop. He has to use 'run as admin' to make it work, but it works nonetheless. I personally do NOT think this is related to the operating system, I used to be able to change graphic settings without a problem. I think there is some variable I haven't found yet on my computer.

Also, if I use the zipped directory available here: http://cdn.shadowera.com/patcher/pc/ShadowEra.zip
    it works fine. It also saves the resolution settings and those settings are saved universally so when I launch with the old install directory, its the settings I want.

So I want to know:
    How do I fix this so I don't have to use the zipped install to change resolution settings?
    Where are these resolution settings saved? Maybe that is related to the solution.
    Last edited by meek; 06-24-2016 at 03:18 AM.
    Those who will remember, will speak fondly of the warm morning breeze.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    And I have perused as many threads about this issue that I could find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    FWIW, I just tried on my family PC, windows 7.

This is a guide for if you don't already have the Launcher installed:

1) Go here: http://www.shadowera.com/content.php?147-Play&tabid=78

2) Look for this line:

PC: ShadowEra.exe v2.9120 (after install, be sure to right-click the launcher icon and select "Run as Administrator")

3) Download the ShadowEra.exe

4) Run that .exe to install the launcher

5) Run the launcher as Administrator (right-click on the icon and choose "Run as Administrator")

6) Let it update and then hit the PLAY button within the launcher

7) Choose your resolution and/or windowed mode

Whichever resolution/mode I chose, it remembered it and used it, after following all these steps.
    Like I did this by the letter. I need help. And perhaps the fact that it works with the zipped directory of shadow era and the launcher install doesn't work is a clue?

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, I don't have any idea what to suggest, but at least the zipped one works for you. It'll be something to do with Windows permissions, but I don't have the know-how with Windows to debug further.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Just adding more observations.
    When running shadow era.exe without admin in the locallow/wulven/ launcher install directory, a security prompt appears mentioning an invalid digital signature.

When running shadow era.exe without admin in the zipped directory, there is no security prompt.

===================================
    Furthermore, if I copy the zipped shadowera.exe into the wulven launcher install directory, running that copied exe causes the security prompt to appear.
    So it has something to do with the directory and files its associating with.

Also if I copy the shadowera.exe from the launcher install dir, to the zipped directory, a prompt starts appearing again.

So there is something bad about the files that were installed using the launcher.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meek View Post
    Just adding more observations.
    When running shadow era.exe without admin in the locallow/wulven/ launcher install directory, a security prompt appears mentioning an invalid digital signature.

When running shadow era.exe without admin in the zipped directory, there is no security prompt.

===================================
    Furthermore, if I copy the zipped shadowera.exe into the wulven launcher install directory, running that copied exe causes the security prompt to appear.
    So it has something to do with the directory and files its associating with.

Also if I copy the shadowera.exe from the launcher install dir, to the zipped directory, a prompt starts appearing again.

So there is something bad about the files that were installed using the launcher.
    Good detective work! It's likely that the new version isn't signed so having a launcher automatically install an unsigned binary and then run it is blocked for security reasons. If you install the binary yourself by unzipping it yourself then it doesn't care.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am also encountering this problem. Tried to uninstall and install with admin rights to no avail.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WoobiE View Post
    I am also encountering this problem. Tried to uninstall and install with admin rights to no avail.
    It's likely that the unsigned binary is not allowed to update the configure file that stores the resolution. When I next boot into Windows, I will try to find the file you need to alter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm also experiencing this issue on Win 7 x64 - everything gets stuck in a 1024x768 window. The zip file that meek linked above works without problem (thanks for pointing out that workaround!).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    When I had this problem awhile ago I reinstalled using an older version (2.88) then updating it and the problem went away.