Close

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    to be fair i have never waited for more then one minute for a game at least from what i can remember. and i play around the 300 ratings. but as this is a mobile game i usually play it on the go when i am on the bus or train or waiting for them. and be assured that if i would have to wait for more then one or two minutes for a game witout the option to cancel i would never play and would rather just pass my time with social media or youtube or something

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    widening the pairings could work - perhaps, a cutoff at 300, where the minimum rating of people you could be paired with doesn't go up anymore (not sure what that minimum is...).

That would do some interesting things to the meta at very high ratings - one of the advantages of having a 340+ rating is you don't get paired with 200 rated decks. There is so much variability in decks at those ratings that it is almost impossible to read the meta and take that into account in your deck selection. If you're getting paired with the same pool of people at rating 330 as a 305 rated player, then you can't just build a deck that does well against the top 20 decks, you may need a deck that has a chance against anything.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    widening the pairings could work - perhaps, a cutoff at 300, where the minimum rating of people you could be paired with doesn't go up anymore (not sure what that minimum is...).

That would do some interesting things to the meta at very high ratings - one of the advantages of having a 340+ rating is you don't get paired with 200 rated decks. There is so much variability in decks at those ratings that it is almost impossible to read the meta and take that into account in your deck selection. If you're getting paired with the same pool of people at rating 330 as a 305 rated player, then you can't just build a deck that does well against the top 20 decks, you may need a deck that has a chance against anything.
    I think it would be fine to pair you with anyone above 250 if you are above that, but giving preference to ones closer to you (which it does anyway if there is more than one person waiting). The rule of 3 probably is not helping matters (can't be paired with same person without 2 other games in between) and maybe we could reduce that to rule of 2 instead.

As for an option to cancel, since it seems most already knew the workaround and were effectively cancelling, I think that proves that cancelling doesn't harm anything and so the button should come back. But it's for Kyle to decide! Maybe a sincere Kyle Appreciation Thread for this great game he created would help.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Having no way to cancel a game that hasn't started without being penalized is ridiculous. Please bring back the cancel button.
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    I think it would be fine to pair you with anyone above 250 if you are above that, but giving preference to ones closer to you (which it does anyway if there is more than one person waiting). The rule of 3 probably is not helping matters (can't be paired with same person without 2 other games in between) and maybe we could reduce that to rule of 2 instead.

As for an option to cancel, since it seems most already knew the workaround and were effectively cancelling, I think that proves that cancelling doesn't harm anything and so the button should come back. But it's for Kyle to decide! Maybe a sincere Kyle Appreciation Thread for this great game he created would help.
    Pretty sure us taking the time to provide feedback should qualify there. That's us saying we appreciate this game enough to take up our time not only playing the game, but formulating responses that we think might help better the game we love. Criticism doesn't indicate a lack of caring--it's when you don't care enough to say what's wrong that something's up. Those folks just leave.

In short, I think just about every thread is a Kyle Appreciation thread, even if it doesn't seem like it.
    Proud member of Team Juggernauts | PFG member

IGN: TJ Xantese

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Maybe we need a GDC appreciation thread...just sayin'
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XanteseZerylliom View Post
    Pretty sure us taking the time to provide feedback should qualify there. That's us saying we appreciate this game enough to take up our time not only playing the game, but formulating responses that we think might help better the game we love. Criticism doesn't indicate a lack of caring--it's when you don't care enough to say what's wrong that something's up. Those folks just leave.

In short, I think just about every thread is a Kyle Appreciation thread, even if it doesn't seem like it.
    Sure, people posting here must be active players or they wouldn't experience this, so we can assume they love the game and appreciate Kyle for creating it. I'll let him know that! (And hopefully more will reply here to complain in the mean time to show their love!)

As for what a fair waiting time is, based on research handed to me by BobRoss, nowadays people won't even wait for more than 30 seconds for something without thinking about giving up:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/style/2013/02/01/the-growing-culture-impatience-where-instant-gratification-makes-crave-more-instant-gratification/q8tWDNGeJB2mm45fQxtTQP/story.html

I think Kyle was trying to fight a one-man fight to turn the tide against that for the sake of mankind (I got on board because I thought it was admirable), but maybe catering to attitudes/behaviours of the actual playerbase would be a better move for the game.

Some have said the top 100 rating actually discourages the best players from playing, which is not going to help matters. Maybe we should remove that even though it came back due to popular demand via complaints (but maybe those were from people who choose not to play rather than try their best to play).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sure, people posting here must be active players or they wouldn't experience this, so we can assume they love the game and appreciate Kyle for creating it. I'll let him know that! (And hopefully more will reply here to complain in the mean time to show their love!)
    There's the sass we love you for!

But seriously, unless someone is just bashing you, it shows that we want you to be successful. Ergo, we want you to make the money on the product we love!

An appreciation thread would probably be nice though, especially around the poor guy's birthday. Even the birthday reopening of past deals had negativity in it, but I guess "welcome to the Internet."
    Proud member of Team Juggernauts | PFG member

IGN: TJ Xantese

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This is one instance in which I'll join the horde in agreement... especially as a meltdown player which has even fewer players, and waiting more than 5 minutes at a time is a standard. BELIEVE ME, after taking 3 minutes to build a deck and losing the ability to lose that deck if we quit, I KNOW the inconvenience of wanting to quit.

So with that said, if I really DID want to quit before a match has been made (at which point quitting early would be a dick move to my opponent), don't you think I've got a perfectly valid and good reason, that would not hurt the overall playing body? As others have said, there's a much greater chance that penalizing people for quitting before a match is made would just deter people from playing altogether. Punish people for quitting early after a match is made; not before. It seems so self-evident.

Seriously, any negative effect of having a cancel option (which I think are negligible to begin with; meltdown might have an advantage currently in that if you had a shitty deck you'd be able to re-shuffle, but then at least you'd have to go through the trouble of building a new one) is far outweighed by the convenience and goodwill of having one.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....ciation-Thread

Ok fine I made it as a joke, but it does speak the truth.