Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Boris

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodovik123 View Post
    I have been having a lot of fun playing this but the deck took a huge blow since they nerfed general of unaxio. Now he can't fetch blood frenzy. I just lost two games in a row to really poor players because no draw. Also I think treasured heirloom can be too unreliable as a card. So how would you change the deck to fit the changes made to gen unaxio? Another One is poor quality, I see the rationale for it but it does nothing to voice of winter and wisent staff
    Glad to hear you've had fun with it. I built this deck just to show how General and sabreen were OP at that time. That was the starting point. The deck died when they were both rightly nerfed.

To get to 7 res for nathanias, you need to at least have drawn 1 card by t7 to keep your hand more than 1 nathanias. So I would start from finding a way to draw cards in the first 5 turns. TH is a bad choice in this case, and poor quality should be subbed for a better card.
    IGN: Kyltz

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Even after the nerf I was sitting on 315-320 rating, which is way higher than I'm used to. The deck is very good. I am thinking of putting in 3 bad Santa and 2 smashing blow, and taking out the treasured heirlooms and poor quality and 2 generals. Thinking of replacing Zailen with yari spearman as well. I'm not great at building decks though so I'd love suggestions if anybody has any

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I guess that's because general got 7 health, which I think should not have happened. His overall power is unchanged compared to before so you should keep 4 of him.

Adding santa is a solid way to make this deck work without doing big change. Another way is to play allies every turn so that opponent needs to deal with your allies, often spending more cards than you and you end up getting relative hand advantage in comparison. In that case, t4 ally is quite important as it gets played around SE ability activation.

Below decklist is not tested but it should give you an idea of how it can be.

Hero: Boris Skullcrusher

Allies (29):
    3x Jasmine Rosecult
    2x Aldon the Brave
    4x Layarian Seductress
    2x Yari Marksman
    3x Stalactitan
    2x Aldmor Chieftan
    4x General of Unaxio
    3x Aeon Stormcaller
    3x Viska, The Scarlet Blade
    2x Nathanias, People's Champion

Abilities (11):
    4x Crippling Blow
    2x Ellos' Resolve
    1x Smashing Blow
    4x Blood Frenzy

Items (0)

= 40 cards

Only 4 BF and no draw. So nathanias is reduced to 2 as it's a bit harder to reach 7 res. Instead I added bunch of 4cc allies and jas. Stalactitan and jas&sedctress both generate control effect which could be counted as 1 draw.

Now that General has 7 health, your t6 play following general is more threatening since opp just spent so much on dealing with general. I added 4cc allies because your following t6 can now be 4cc ally + 2cc attachment. (e.g. Chieftan + Ellos resolve). Chieftan can use ability on the following turn t7 if you went second. Stalactitan can stop an ally and +1 attack himself, leaving 3 res to spend. And he can't be frozen! (did you mention VoW?)

Even though I haven't played with it, I believe it works. Hopefully it gives you an idea of how deck can be played with less draw.
    Last edited by Kylt; 11-27-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thank you kylt! This is why I love this community and this game. I'm going to try this out and report. Thanks again

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've tested the above decklist and came to
    -2 marksman
    -1 stalactitan
    +2 chieftan
    +1 2cc ally (currently CoI, but could be diplomat or brax temptress because Anklebreaker)
    I didn't get to test it agaisnt high rated players so this change is more about synergy within the deck, not what wins.

I added 1 more 2cc card so that 3cc + 2cc becomes more probable when you don't have general on t5. Don't play the 2cc ally going first unless you have BF in hand.

Chieftan is so good. It's insane. Definitely 4x. It's especially good in bad matchups for Boris (Tala, MS and Priests) so that's even better. In fact, I'm mesmerised by chieftan that now I'm trying different combination to make him shine in various decks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Do you now disagree with the "4x of everything" method for competitive decks, or is this case different?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't think there is such a thing as "4x of everything" method. If a deck ends up with 4 copies of each cards, that's because it is the best form after testing. I would never set my goal to have 4x each just because it's how other competitive decks are.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylt View Post
    I don't think there is such a thing as "4x of everything" method. If a deck ends up with 4 copies of each cards, that's because it is the best form after testing. I would never set my goal to have 4x each just because it's how other competitive decks are.
    Hmm okay. I must be thinking of someone else that said that

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kross View Post
    Do you now disagree with the "4x of everything" method for competitive decks, or is this case different?
    That's an interesting debate. The 4-off theory is what meant to be for consistency. Consistency is important in every deck build, so that you pull out your strategy less dependent on luck.

This is particularly important for QM as you cannot tech against every deck and would rather focus on your core strategy.

In a tournament where there is a meta, less copies and more different cards are used for diversity. So as to tech against specific meta or poor matchups.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylt View Post
    Chieftan is so good. It's insane. Definitely 4x. It's especially good in bad matchups for Boris (Tala, MS and Priests) so that's even better. In fact, I'm mesmerised by chieftan that now I'm trying different combination to make him shine in various decks.
    This... is so true. I see a few players utilize them in decks but not many. Might just not fit into what they are doing. Having that unconditional removal is an undeniably scary thing for your opponent to face.