Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

301 rated Vessunculus

This is my first post to the strategy section, but I think I've come up with an interesting and novel deck with Homunculus Vess. I was watching players use Homunculus Raikka and really enjoyed the gameplay and thought that there must be another Shadow hero (heroine) who could take advantage of the Rankett: Proving Grounds location. Enter Vess. She has a lower ability requirement if and when you're not able to use the location ability and her attachment buffs add versatility to attacks. I just reached 301, winning 14 out of the last 20.

The deck isn't as fast a rush as Raikka's Rankett Homunculus, but it does follow the low resource curve. Big difference is that Barrenland Gremlin isn't the star of the deck; it takes a backseat to Voracious Arachnid and even Rottling. I added 2 Plate Armor (low cost + ability syncs very well with turn 3 and Rankett).

If you'd like to see the deck in action, my IGN is Schadenfreude. I've made many mistakes along the way, but I do think this deck has good potential. Maybe swapping out Flesh Infusion and Mindless Ferocity for another Splicer, Brimstone Devourer, Cultist, or Growth. Ele and Baduruu have given me the majority of losses. Seems to have worked fairly well against the other heroes, although I haven't played against too many Rogues.

43 cards total (1 hero, 22 allies, 12 abilities, 4 armor, 4 location)
    1x Vess
    4x Rottling
    4x Barrenland Gremlin
    4x Plightbred Runt
    4x Voracious Arachnid
    2x Brimstone Devourer
    2x Gravemonger
    2x Falseblood Cultist
    2x Crippling Blow
    1x Mindless Ferocity
    1x Flesh Infusion
    2x Ellos' Resolve
    2x Spontaneous Growth
    2x Blood Frenzy
    2x Splicer's Crown
    2x Plate Armor
    4x Rankett: Proving Grounds

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good finding on Plate armor. I think Valiant Defender might just solve all the issues you had in losing games.
    IGN: Kyltz

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the feedback, Kylt. I did wind up adding valiant defender and another brimstone devourer, taking out flesh infusion and mindless ferocity. I'm coming to terms with accepting loss when I'm not able to maintain board control, but that's the way it goes anyhow.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Warrior can out class mage in the style. Human warrior more so than shadow but having access to crippling blow really messes with mage Homunculus.

I don't care for plate armor just because you need to use a shadow energy to utilize it. That means you may have to use one to buff and may not be able to flip the location if it has been turned against you. Also, it does not add an attack like crown does. it is nice being able to buff two different allies in one turn but I just feel the shadow energy is better used for location purposes then plate armor in plus one health.

I know you said Gramlin is not the star in this deck, but having so few items to utilize his ability makes him almost useless. I think for this style if you want draw, you have to go with crystal shards. At least when you drop it you can draw and buff gremlin. Also, if you happen to discard an ally and have Crown To play on turn three, that is a pretty good one, two, three set of turns. Not to mention that your opponent should only get one use from it.

I would totally remove blood frenzy. Only because your turn three may be better suited in keeping up pressure. 1CC ally + 2CC ally/Crippling Blow/Spontaneous Growth... seems better to me than BF. You potentially still get a draw, or two, in all three of those scenarios.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the great feedback. I did remove BF because I also thought that draw wasn't much of an issue. Good point about Gremlin not having much to go off of, but I added pithing spear and spectral sabre, which Gremlin can take advantage of. Crystal shards is an interesting idea. Might have to test that out.

The deck has changed a few times and it's in a state of flux right now. Tbh, I think it's too reliant on Rankett, because if the location doesn't come out early, I'm stuck with very low atk allies. Also if I don't have an early board presence of strong allies, I'm often not able to recover from whatever the opp puts out. Well, I'll make adjustments as I go and update whenever there's something of value to post.