Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Feedback on slow release of new cards

the game doesnt need a ray of sunshine. what it needs is a foot in their ass to get the cards out. it took 2 years to get the first part of LL. they were all "supposedly" done then. and should of been done more than a year earlier. and now they want to wait even longer to give us part 2, cause they are still working on them? 2 years and they still dont know what to do with locations. ive done everything i can possibly think of to keep the game "popular" with my A1 guys and the community... and i am losing, badly. they get bored and go to something else. the whole community is shrinking so fast. new players are not replacing the ones that leave the game. average time a new player stays with the game has gone down tremendously.

we have the highest paid design team in the industry by 10x, maybe even 20x, if you go by a per card basis. 67 cards (which they made worse) in 2 and a half YEARS. and its going to be a minimum 3 months before we get 66 more. they need to stop dicking around with the cards and get them OUT. this OCD habit to keep messing with them has got to stop. and i seriously want to know if the cards for set 4 have even been designed or not.

and rest for the weary... its a retreat with a cantrip bascially. you arent controlling their draw at all. unless there is a location in play, in which case you dont get draw. it should of just had the cc cost reduced.

sword gobbler... so this change was to help make a 3cc weapon more viable? at a time when some players are moving away from using 2cc allies at all?
    Last edited by Caitlyn0; 06-09-2016 at 02:51 PM.
    lil dark riding hood Queen of A1 Evolution in Theory
    Alliance One recruitment thread
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    SE Card Price Guide - My Deck Building Guide
    all my decks together
    owner of Earthen Protector flavor text
    Caitlyn™: collecting rage quits since 2011

Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn0 View Post
    the game doesnt need a ray of sunshine. what it needs is a foot in their ass to get the cards out. it took 2 years to get the first part of LL. they were all "supposedly" done then. and should of been done more than a year earlier. and now they want to wait even longer to give us part 2, cause they are still working on them? 2 years and they still dont know what to do with locations. ive done everything i can possibly think of to keep the game "popular" with my A1 guys and the community... and i am losing, badly. they get bored and go to something else. the whole community is shrinking so fast. new players are not replacing the ones that leave the game. average time a new player stays with the game has gone down tremendously.

we have the highest paid design team in the industry by 10x, maybe even 20x, if you go by a per card basis. 67 cards (which they made worse) in 2 and a half YEARS. and its going to be a minimum 3 months before we get 66 more. they need to stop dicking around with the cards and get them OUT. this OCD habit to keep messing with them has got to stop. and i seriously want to know if the cards for set 4 have even been designed or not.

and rest for the weary... its a retreat with a cantrip bascially. you arent controlling their draw at all. unless there is a location in play, in which case you dont get draw. it should of just had the resuced cost.

sword gobbler... so this change was to help make a 3cc weapon more viable? at a time when some players are moving away from using 2cc allies at all?
    Agree with the points about sloowww turn around time. This game needs to get cards out faster...and the PFG seems somewhat obsolete, since the community disagrees with cards that should have been balanced by PFG...

Just release 2-3 cards weekly, and let community comment through the forums on balancing them. I'd rather have a slightly (temporarily) unbalanced game with regular updates than a perfectly balanced game that takes ages to update.

IGN: TJ BlueJet24
    TG: @BlueJet24
    IGN: TJ BlueJet24

Founder of Team Juggernauts

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Has anyone seen Alzorath? He doesnt seem to post anymore SE content nor does Eternal troll or Eric's Crusade.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Many thanks to those who stayed relevant on this thread.
    and what exactly is irrelevant in this thread? let me know and i will go make another thread discussing it.

but here is some more irrelevant posting to this thread's material, eventhough, nothing has been, considering why there is this particular update in the first place. the PFG was a good idea and would still be a good idea if you got cards out fairly fast. but right now, there really is no reason for it. you WONT finalize SF, so its still in beta. the majority of your data for nerfing cards comes from them being live. release the cards and let us all play with them. get your usage data, which doesnt tell you anything other than popularity of cards unless you are only looking at players rated 270 and higher. thats where you might find cards that are too good. LOOK at what WINS, not at what is played the most.

but that is fine, keep ignoring me. the ONLY thing keeping this game alive right now, is Telegram.
    lil dark riding hood Queen of A1 Evolution in Theory
    Alliance One recruitment thread
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    SE Card Price Guide - My Deck Building Guide
    all my decks together
    owner of Earthen Protector flavor text
    Caitlyn™: collecting rage quits since 2011

Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn0 View Post
    and what exactly is irrelevant in this thread? let me know and i will go make another thread discussing it.

but here is some more irrelevant posting to this thread's material, eventhough, nothing has been, considering why there is this particular update in the first place. the PFG was a good idea and would still be a good idea if you got cards out fairly fast. but right now, there really is no reason for it. you WONT finalize SF, so its still in beta. the majority of your data for nerfing cards comes from them being live. release the cards and let us all play with them. get your usage data, which doesnt tell you anything other than popularity of cards unless you are only looking at players rated 270 and higher. thats where you might find cards that are too good. LOOK at what WINS, not at what is played the most.
    Your comment, and so is mine, should be moved to somewhere else but I just want to have a say on this.

I don't care if new cards get released fast. I don't care if they get finalised now or later. All I want is a balanced game so that I can start to learn deep and master it, and hopefully get better than anyone else. That's where my motivation comes from. If you wanna always play with new things, you should be going for other games. There are tonnes of games out there that release new set of content every month or two to catch eyes. I keep coming back to shadow era because it stays more or less the same for long time. I can start from what I had learnt from years ago when I come back and I can still win. I like it this way. If things go the way you say, I'll probably stop playing this game.

SE doen't need to fight other games on the same ground. Stagnation can even be a strength if you look at it from a different angle. Let other games grab hipsters.

P.S. I don't see the connection between slow development and new players leaving despite your effort. Is it really the slow development or something else that made them leave? Do you really think faster development is the ONLY way to keep new customers?
    Last edited by Kylt; 06-09-2016 at 10:37 PM.
    IGN: Kyltz

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    This is a thread split off from the 3.14 balance changes thread in an effort to keep that one about the balance changes themselves, and allow this subject to be discussed independently.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree with Kylt here... it´s depends on angle you look at it... I am hard working, father with max of 50-100 games per month. So for me 60 cards per year is ok, if there is also 3-4x balance changes. I like how balanced this game is. I like that I can have a 2 month break and return to game and play competitively in few hours again. I like to have whole collection without spend too much money...

But for everyday competitive players the development is slow,... thats right. I think that compromise will be to release those 60 cards every half year, than 2-3 balance changes and another release... so basicaly some change every 2 seasons.
    IGN: TJ Maskee - Proud member of Team Juggernauts !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    The game lacks overall development, the release of new cards is slow but I can live with it, my main concern is that the whole software is showing signs of age. A ton of features are missing (i.e. tournaments section, able to rename decks, gold sinkers, single player campaign, etc..) and with all the new stuff out there It's easy to get pulled away from shadow era because it can pass 2 years from now and you still know what awaits you when come back, same old same old, it's kind of a paradox because what lead you away might also be what makes you return but even then I think it's possible to retain the whole Shadow Era experience while improving it as well.

My opinion is that of someone who now mainly logs in to collect daily chest and reads forum, lately I rarely play anyway, so take it with a grain of salt.
    I wanted an image as a signature and all I got was text.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    What if we could have less boredom and more variety for those that want it whilst also staying as balanced as some people prefer and without changes too often?

The Meltdown format provided that kind of thing, but I don't think it is the best option for forced variety, compared to others out there. I will admit that the idea of enforcing variety through either quests or alternative formats (both of which Hearthstone has been doing for a while) looks kind of desperate to me and that's part of the reason we've not done it, but maybe that could actually be the right call for us if we want to keep releasing at the pace we can manage, not change cards too often but also allow more novelty for players that are demanding it.

Let's assume more formats is the way we want to go. If that's the case, which ones should we consider? I know many player-run events use alternative formats and some have proven popular, and maybe there are no unexplored ideas any more, but I still think it's worth discussing some options.

Here's some quick examples that could be used within a single game:

1) Pauper - deck costing max of 5000 gold or max 10 uncommon/rare/epic.
    2) Noah's Ark - max 2 copies of each card.
    3) Turbo - draw 2 cards at the start of each turn instead of 1.
    4) 50-card minimum

Aside from that, having a rating per hero or quests would bring new challenges for people who are otherwise bored. I did enjoy these in Hearthstone for a while until they became much less about variety and enjoyment and more about jumping through hoops to earn gold to buy cards. If we add them here, I would like them to be for ENJOYMENT rather than for WORK (i.e. grinding).

Yes, I know some people have been asking for all these things for a long time and I have agreed with them (aside from my concern that it would be a desperation move in lieu of proper balance and enjoyment within the core game), but I do think they have merit when we are trying to please two very different types of customer - those who want variety and change often and those that actually like slow progress and an opportunity to go deeper with their mastery over time and return to mostly the same game they took a break from when life gets busy.

Side note: When was the last time a new chess piece was added? I don't know, but the game is still popular regardless. With SE, we always consider the whole pool as the current state of the game and aim for that current state to be as best it can be. I don't know how anyone could say the SE now is not the best version we've ever had (soon to be bettered by 3.14!) and even if we didn't bring out any more cards or make any more balance changes then it would surely still appeal to many people for what it is. It's OK to get bored of things and come back. I know that's not usually the TCG model because the idea seems to be to keep churning out cards quickly to rake in the money until your customers run out of cash and quit, but we've never wanted to go that route because ultimately it backfires. Sure, you can keep getting new customers with marketing dollars until they burn out too, but that's the cold business approach that doesn't care about the impact on individual players as long as ultimately it's financially viable. We care about all our players and while we have gone a bit slow for some and upset them that way, and ended up appealing more to new players who are not tired of waiting for things, it's not a conscious decision to do that in an attempt to follow the money.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Just wanted to add that tournaments is probably my most awaited feature in the game, alas I would also suggest that for me the best model and that would work for F2P players is that you could enter 1 tournament per day for free, the following ones on same day costing shadow crystals. This would give everyone a chance for prizes while also preventing guilds from overpopulating tournaments just so they could distribute prizes. Also the adrenaline of relying in your locked deck to churn through the whole tournament and to win or just reach the final would be epic feeling to a lot of players.
    I wanted an image as a signature and all I got was text.