Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Homunculous and toolbox Ythan

I figured I would post my Ythan deck because it has been fairly successful laddering and is about to get nerfed into oblivion so might as well enjoy it while you can.

Ok so I will start off by saying that this deck plays out a bit differently than most in the current meta because it is tempo based and not draw based. I will also say it is very unlikely that this deck is tuned. However, it did bring me to my highest ever recorded rating and top 5 on the ladder (Although I honestly doubt I'll stay there very long).

Hero: Ythan

Cards: 42 + Hero

Allies: 35
    4x Vigi Wisp
    3x Diplomat
    4x Entangled Wisp
    3x Aldon
    2x Eternal Troll
    3x Fortified Wisp
    2x Sorcerer of Endia
    3x Thunderstrike Construct
    2x Braxnorian Soldier
    3x Erika
    3x Viska
    3x Nathanias

Abilities: 7
    3x Gambit
    2x Treasured Heirloom
    2x A Legend Rises

A bit of explanation:
    The goal is to use your ability to win early board and as a late game finisher, the damage you can do with it late game is actually insane. You basically want to keep up the pressure with ally after ally throwing in the occasional buff particularly when it can be paired with your ability. Important note: Ythan is terrible at retaking the board in general, but you do have a few tools that will help you. Most decks have trouble killing at least 1 of the 4 allies, Entangled Wisp (electric immune), Fortified Wisp, Erika, and Viska (Nathanias has 8 health and comes with a friend 75% of the time so he is nothing to laugh at either). Play these allies followed by a buff and ability use to retake the lost board.

Match ups:
    Your worst match ups are
    Garth - With his ability he can challenge early board and has no trouble dealing with any of your "problem allies"
    Eladwin - Same deal, she might also just rush you to death if she gets a good start
    Victor - Can deal with your problem allies and eventually becomes a late game monster you can't keep up with.

Notable good match ups:
    Zal - Electric immune Entangled wisps and damage resistant Fort wisps give Zal a lot of problems
    Lance - Your early game can translate into leathal damage before he sets up. Stealth and Ankle breaker can be mitigated with your ability.
    Baduruu - You pack a lot of weapon hate allies

Videos - I appologize both are Amber games where my opponent could not get a weapon I tried 5 recordings they all ended up being kind of meh games. If you want to scrim and get another video added let me know.

Amber 1 - This should give a bit of insight into sac choices and alos just shows the pure damage output of Ythan if 1 of his allies is left unchecked

Amber 2 - Slightly more insight into sac choices

Moon - Shows anti-stealth part of your ability, and takes advantage of the toolbox-ness I did however clearly misplay.

Leave questions and feedback I'll try to address everything thing the best I can and update the OP accordingly.
    Last edited by qaz92zaq; 06-06-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    First comment well it look solid
    Question is it good vs Wolf badu or anything that rush? Or maybe prax

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think it's one of the most consistent and strong Ythan builds atm. Almost every card in this deck has big value especially with Ythan ability, so lack of draw doesn't make it worse. It does take some skill and experience to operate correctly though, Sac choices especially at low resources can be tough... But it really has no auto-loses (or very few).
    You took Ythan to a whole new level, good job

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by beantankbean View Post
    First comment well it look solid
    Question is it good vs Wolf badu or anything that rush? Or maybe prax
    Wolf Baduruu going first can give you problems, but I think you still have the advantage particularly if their first weapon is anything except Grundler's. Your t3 ability plus a tanky 1/5 gets you out of a lot of bad situations agaist rush.

Prax in theory seems like it should be a bad match up, but I think this deck is something like 7-0 agaist prax, so I really don't know. Could be shear luck that I win those also possible there is something about the match up I am missing.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Anasia View Post
    I think it's one of the most consistent and strong Ythan builds atm. Almost every card in this deck has big value especially with Ythan ability, so lack of draw doesn't make it worse. It does take some skill and experience to operate correctly though, Sac choices especially at low resources can be tough... But it really has no auto-loses (or very few).
    You took Ythan to a whole new level, good job

Thank you.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I was very impressed to see a ythan deck so high in the rankings so congrats (although I believe I was one of the Victor decks you had trouble with).
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Very good deck! I faced an older version of your deck in Slugfest and I think you won both games with it (vs Victor and Zhanna!)
    I've also seen you using it in other tournaments with impressive results, so I "reverse engineered" it (thanks to your youtube videos ) and used it in the Crown.

Very nice deck, recommended for people to try it
    Devoted Protector of the Phoenix's Ashes
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Bounty Price series: The mercenary challenge | The toll bridge | The Conq's tea
    Other tournaments: Battle of Ages | The Fighting Buddy | The War Games
    BP Bobbypim's expansion: Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Coming of Dragons
    Useful links: Colosal's guide for TO

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    I was very impressed to see a ythan deck so high in the rankings so congrats (although I believe I was one of the Victor decks you had trouble with).
    Thanks

Last season this is possible because I played it and you a hand full of times (not sure if both those event ever coincided or not). This season I was luck enough to avoid you so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Punisher View Post
    Very good deck! I faced an older version of your deck in Slugfest and I think you won both games with it (vs Victor and Zhanna!)
    I've also seen you using it in other tournaments with impressive results, so I "reverse engineered" it (thanks to your youtube videos ) and used it in the Crown.

Very nice deck, recommended for people to try it
    Yeah that was a slightly older version, very similar though. Actually that was when I found out this deck does not auto lose to Zhanna, I still think I am at the disadvantage because I need very specific cards to play around TW, but if I am set up it is an easy game.

Glad you like it and made use of it.

As an aside I still want to try running Emore's Crossbow in a Ythan. I don't think this deck has the draw but it is a hasted 8 damage because you can ability yourself.
    Last edited by qaz92zaq; 06-06-2016 at 07:02 PM.