Close

Thread: Shadows of Lyth

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Shadows of Lyth

I dont post decks ever, as some may have noticed, But recently I've been playing a lot with the unloved Lyth: Kristan's Ridge. This card is far better than it gets credit for, and has been a real joy to use. For that, ive decided to post my deck list and explain how it functions

Hero: >insert shadow hero here<

Allies:
    X4 frostmare <3
    ×3 kyruth devotee
    X4 cryptspawn tormentor
    ×4 voracious arachnid
    X2 gravemonger
    ×3 der'kan, the bone king
    X2 forgotten horror

Abilities:
    X2 grave resistance
    ×3 saccrificial lamb
    X3 tombstone beacon
    ×4 <instert class draw card here>
    X4<insert class control card here>

There are so many things about this deck that just work; the allies synergise with each other very well. A very important thing to note is the low recource curve. In a bind, you can easily get by without going aboe 4cc (i had to sit at 3cc for an entire game once, and won) So first step, hero choice! Due to the nature of lyth, you can get away with using ANY shadow hero for this deck. Just bear in mind what that larticular hero is bringing to the table. For me, my favorite choices are ter adun, and darkclaw. The hero hecomes a figurehead to play mindgames, and ter brings the danger of item destruction to the table (so troublsome items may get sacced by the opponent at start of match)

ter brings bloodfrenzy and crippling blow to the table, as well as actually having item destruction as an option when needed/capable.
    My other favorite, darkclaw, is there to play mindgames with the opponent. When you see a darkclaw, you expect weapons (duh). So you store that item destruction waiting for the right weapon to drop. Perhaps that Boris will sacrifice a crippling blow to keep a smashing blow? (warriors blow a lot dont they) Lyth takes advantage of this, which can provide a slight advantage in the early game that may or may not make the difference. Wulves bring now you're mine and bloodmoon to the table, bloodmoon being great. I much prefer the t2 draw engine in this deck, as i preffer to play an ally t3 (looking at you blood frenzy)
    Mages can bring fireballs, for a lot of face destruction (or ally control), but they are weak in the draw department (tome of knowledge).
    Hunters are fun, bringing hunters gambit and poison arrow. Skervox is likely the best choice for hunters, but baduruu mind games are possible. Gambit combos well with lyth to take down 4hp guys, and frostamre thrown in to take down 5hp guys.

Lastly, elementals dont have cheao control, or good draw. But what they do have is mind control threat, and aural battery. Aural battery combos really well with lyth, sometimes der'kan, and forgotten horror to an extent. You dont have to use mind control, but the opponent is going to be aware of its possible threat. Also energy discharge works well with frostmare.

So now that you havebyour chosen hero, lets talk about the allies! Would you believe arachnid synergises well with these undead guys? With frostmare coming in for free at times with 1 health and haste, he can easily suicide into an enemy to get our spiders health up by thay 1 attack needed to kill those pesky fortified wisps. Kiruth devotee can steal opposing body's, giving them a second chance to raise arachnids attack. Sac lamb that cryptspawn for a bit of draw, and give that damned spider a body to eat. Best of all, forgotten horror will freeze the arachnids! But uhh, i guess thats a bad thing huh. Anyways, frostmare dying quickly is really good for both der'kan AND gravemonger. Speaking of frostmare, (i do that a lot huh) his cheap summons (cant get cheaper than free) and haste works really well when using lyth. Several times my t3 play was to drop 2 frostmare, a 3cc ally, and kristans ridge to take the board and deal 3+ damage to opponents face. More often than not though, this play wont take place until t4 or 5 (5 being a good time when going second, as you can then use the ability twice in a row)
    Frostmare are key to this deck, so dont be too hasty when sacrificing them. If i expect weapons or armor, i have sacced cryptspawn to keep frosty, as he's bery valuable to the deck. (he's your main comeback ally when combos with lyth to kill 4hp allies).

As a personal prefference, i like to add 2 copies of contaminated waters to my deck. I find them to be VERY useful, letting frostmare kill up to 5hp allies when all combos are considered. The opponent isn't likely to get rid of waters with the 3se either, as taking control of lyth tends to be the "better" play (which makes it good to have 4 copies in the deck).
    In terms of playstyle, i tend to play it aggro. But it should be able to adapt to midrange very easily.

Go ahead and give this deck a try! I hope after using this, people will have a better respect for how powerful Lyth actually is (and just how awesome frostmare can be)
    Shadow of the Night
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Seeker of potential, hidden from the light
    Teacher from the darkness, the Shadow of The Night
    To you I bring my knowledge, hidden from plain sight
    And write it in my blog, bringing new things to the fight

IGN: BP Umbra Nox

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Awesome set up! as far as allies go, I have stalactitan and frosted urigon instead of gravemonger and der'kan for my Raikka build, along with more freezing cards but could only get so far with it but definitely might try something like this

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This is also another location that looks appealing and I like the build as you have listed it to allow others to Sub in Hero and such - neat deck Umbra

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Looks like a very fun deck. Great write up too.
    The Paladin of Punxsutawney
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Shadows R Us

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yep. A+ for the write up. Not sold in the deck. Will have to look it over and test.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylt View Post
    Could be better than fire snake version.