Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ideas for improving lore and storytelling

A recent thread made by Gondorian triggered me to think about how the lore of the game is lacking, and I started brainstorming some ideas to make the cards actually feel like they are telling this story. One of the biggest loves I have for mtg is the way the story is so finely intertwined within the cards. Each ability has a meaning, each creature is a character, every new mechanic portrays something that is going on within the story.

Starting off I'd like to present some ideas for new versions of current allies, that will represent who they are now after many years fighting in the war of Balor.

I'd like to point out that I'm not completely familiar with the current lore, so some of this may not actually be 'in sync'

Viska, Invoker of Fear
    6cc 4/5 unique
    When Viska, Invoker of Fear enters the battlefield, you may return target opposing ally to its owners hand. Allies with cost 2cc or less do 1 less damage to viska.

After many years on the battlefield, Viska has become a name feared by many. The sight of her blood stained pike drives fear into even the toughest of warriors, many of them fleeing instantly. A name to be feared, those who have yet to see her in the flesh only wish that it stays that way.

Gunther, Selfless Leader
    5cc 2/7 unique
    When Gunther, Selfless Leader dies, friendly allies gain +1/+2
    If another friendly ally would take damage from an opposing ability, deal that damage to Gunther instead.

Once a fearsome general, now a true leader, Gunther has sworn allegiance to anybody who fights at his side. He would sooner take an arrow to his chest than let one of his loyal soldiers suffer that fate. He inspires courage in his men, who will stop at nothing to avenge his death should that day come.

Thaddeus, Master of Necromancy
    Unique
    4cc 0/6
    3: Return target ally from your graveyard to your hand. Target opposing ally takes 2 damage.

Fighting alongside Gravebone, Thaddeus was able to master the dark art of necromancy. Many have heard of his plans to raise an undead army with the help of Gravebone and ravage the land of Balor, destroying anything that stands in their way with hordes of decaying horrors.

Infernus, Kindled Behemoth
    Unique
    7cc
    6/8
    When infernus enters the battlefield, all allies are set ablaze.

Infernus has grown hungry for one thing; Destruction. A fury held deep within has finally ruptured, causing Infernus to fly into a fit of rampant chaos. He wanders the lands of Balor, burning everything in his path, leaving nothing but smouldering ashes of what once was.

I'll add more when I think of them. I'll also think about ability cards and the like and add them at some point. Hopefully this will generate some more ideas on how we can improve the lore and storytelling aspect of the game.
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I personally feel this idea works out better in MtG because cards get rotated out and new one comes in, whereas in SE you would have 2 cards from different timelines in play at the sametime... Which is weird.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That also happens in mtg all the time aswell though. Sets stay in rotation for a while so it happens frequently.
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn