Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Card Buffs: The Shoulds And Shouldn'ts

I've been reading a lot of the cards people have asked for buffs for, and decided to just make a thread with every card, then state if, how, and why each one should/nt be changed. So...this is gonna be a big thread for those who dont want to read everything, I'll highlight the cards i think need a buff in green.

Allies

Human
    Vigilant wisp
    The value of this ally is immense for 2cc. 1/5 stats makes him difficult to remove on his own, but he also acts as a draw engine for only 2cc. In addition, he is homunculus and can gain from all of those synergies (entangled wisp, thunderstrike construct, etc.) as well as electric damage to gain from all of those synergies (voltars ring, lightening quarry). He often requires two different allies to attack him in order to be killed, and acts as a large enough threat on his own that allocating those recources towards killing him becomes a necessity. For balance purposes, i think 4hp is more than adequate. And if not the hp change, then making his seek ability 3cc would be more than fair, as you are searching for a specific ally to match a given need. At 3cc ability activation, he becomes more of a late game threat that doesnt demand an immidiate answer.
    ( we're off to a good start no?)

Entangled Wisp
    In terms of value, this too offers a lot for 3cc. However i dont think a nerf is in order. Some cards should be allowed to offer a higher value for select situations, and entangled wisp does that for homunculus. This is a great card to build a deck around, and as such should be allowed to maintain it's above average value

Unaxio Squire
    Offers a good amount of value. Alone, he is in practice the same stats as brutalis. He offers a cool play strategy for certain templar decks, and works extremly well when building around bannerman

Unaxio Bannerman
    Speak of the devil, this ally is in a decent enough spot right now. Definitely not undervalued, and so far no gamebreaking features have cropped up. He is here waiting for the specific tools needed to make his archetype deck work well, and for now should be left alone.

Sabreen, Hand of Unaxio
    Currently in an Ok spot. A lot of value still, but if future nerfs are needed, i dont think right now is the right time. She still easily finds her way in many decks, and has become a staple comeback card for many humans (as krygon became for shadows). For that reason she should be watched, but aince her first nerf she's not nearly as dominearing as she used to be.

General of Unaxio
    He finds his way into many decks for his attachment seeking, and gives good value with his big body. However like sabreen, i do not find nerfs to he needed, as he is a great ally to help build around a specific deck theme. Nerfing him will hurt part of the deck building aspect of the game, and so should be left alone.

Twilight Shepherdess
    I can't believe I of all people am saying it, but twilights could use some buffs. However, i dont think the cult recruiter is the right place to start. At 1/6, she already has a lot of survivability ( I'm still not convinced her health is too high). She offers many really cool and unique combos in current form, and is a fun tool to build certain decks around (I.E. T4 demetryo+3cc card). Indeed twilights could use a buff, but i believe the correct buff lies elswehere, and shepherdess can be left alone for now.

Twilight Luminary
    I've seen a few times people have asked for her haste to be extended for 3cc twilights, however i think that would be far too dangerous, and we'd run into many of the same situations we had previously. While her selection is currently limmited, luminary will get inderectly buffed as new sets and more 2cc- twilights come out. She still remains relatively useful with her seek and good stats, so let her remain as a sleeper card. As is she already has a semi useful archetype building around her.

twilight orphic
    I will admit that currently orphic is in a good spot, however i do think she can afford a tiny buff that will draw an overall improvement in regards to synergy of the twilight class. The buff i think would be best is changing her on summons ability into an enters play ability (when twilight orphic enters play, other freindly twilight allies gain +1 health). This improves the synergy with twilight eidilon, and avatar of twilight, while remaining a subtle and mostly unintrusive buff.

It would seem that her value has been supreemely undermined by being placed at 6cc and only bringing back 2 allies. However i dont think directly buffing her is entirely necessary, but rather giving twilights allies that have an imediate impact (lifebringer) and allies with enter play effects (my proposed orphic change). Avatar will only get more useful and powerful as different varrieties of allies are made available. (i further my point for the orphic buff as it indirectly helps avatar)

Kalista, twilight matriarch
    Her ability is very powerful, and is already a sleeper card. She has standard 5cc stats; no changes currently needed.

shadow

Flame Spitter
    Flame spitter currently offers a good number of unique interactions that are particularly cool. For instance, he can combo with both raika or infernus, tyrant of the damned to deal 5 damage to opposing allies. He has a built in 1 damage defender, that isn't affected by bush. Now while i dont particularly think he NEEDS a buff, i also dont see any harm in lowering his base attack to 1 and making the ability damage deal 2. Overall he will be doing the same amount of damage towards enemy allies, less damage towards the hero, but he becomes a MUCH better defensive ally. He already has soo many cool and unique synergies, but frankly they are lacking a certain something that i think this buff will fix.

sword gobler
    While he will most times make a poor t2 drop, sword gobbler still has the potential to come out as a solid body for very cheap. So long as you use weapons, it is also fairly easy to meet the neccesary conditions for him. Although he did take a huge hit from the raksul: warped desert nerf, i think he still serves his intended purpose well, and doesn require a buff just yet.

Caged Savage
    Of course he needs no buff, we still arent sure if he neds to be nerfed or not. At 6hp for 1cc, he can soak up a TON of damage for a 1cc ally. The 3 attack needed before he can attack generally isn't too hard to get. For now, a change may not be necessary, but an eye should still be kept on him.

Feasterling
    A terrifying t2 drop, he's a monster with FTA, and also can often be safely played t2 when going second. Many people have speculated that his ability is too powerful, and may need nerfing. I think the nerf hammer has been swung enough for now, but if it does make it's way to feasterling, I'm rather fond of an idea someine else came up with. Change feasterlings ability to "0cc: your hero and feasterling take 1 damage and feasterling has +2 attack until the end of your turn."
    With that ability, it puts a limit on how much he can be used, but also lets him combo with Asyn: mount kazarr fairly easily.

Towering Brute
    In his new form he has been pretty amazing! Specifically it has been able to combo with Mount Kazarr to make the NC harder for opponent to use (and with 7 HP, brute often becomes the target of the locations NC ability anyways). No changes necessary

Hellfire besieger
    5cc, with 3/6 stats. With his ability being capable of targetting enemy hero, and dealing 4 damage, this beast is certainly not in need of a buff. He will become stronger as better items/abilities become available for destroying, so no change needed

Brakong, menace of Thriss
    He strangely hasnt been broken yet. I would have thought that would have happened by now...yet He hasnt caused any huge problems. He's clearly in no need of a buff, but he also doesnt seem to need a nerf yet. So it would seem no change is needed

Kiruth Devotee
    More often than not, he makes a better late game ally. His ability is expensive, but it's inportant to understand how strong his ability really is. A decrease in his ability cost can make stealing the allies from opponents much easier to accomplish much sooner, and when taking into account cards like grave resistance, you can start overwhelming opponents very quickly. As someone who has undead as thier favorite tribe, I've noticed that kiruth devotee is already a huge target when on the field. Sometimes even becoming higher priority than 3 and 4cc allies. For now, no change needed

Forgotten Horror
    Another ally i also tend to use. Despite all the complaining I've done in regards towards this ally, he actually is still useful. However, i dont think he has found his final balance point yet. I think one more stat buff is in order, with me leaning more towards the hp side of things. With a 4/5 body, he's not as fragile, and can really start to be used as a proper comeback card.
    Last edited by Umbra7; 05-19-2016 at 04:17 AM.
    Shadow of the Night
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Seeker of potential, hidden from the light
    Teacher from the darkness, the Shadow of The Night
    To you I bring my knowledge, hidden from plain sight
    And write it in my blog, bringing new things to the fight

IGN: BP Umbra Nox

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    wulven traitor
    I'll be pretty blunt, the condition for his ambush really isnt necessary. He has fairly low survivability, and the wulven decks often have next to no way to take back a lost board. They require the early board pressure, and letting traitor have unconditional ambush is a subtle buff that helps the wulven tribe keep keep the early pressure

Wildfang, wulven renegade
    In his previous state, it is understandable that things could get overwhelming very fast. However in his current state, it's hard to justify using him in a deck. Because he is unique, most people would at most use only 3 copies, but realistically only 2 would be used. With the cost reduction only being applied to the next wulven ally summoned however, his usefulness is very small. To remedy this, i would suggest removing unique ( I'm aware there are flavor reasons with the name that means he has to be unique, but that problem can be remedied by changing the name to only Wulven Renegade). This will allow multiple renegades on the feild at a time, and allow their cost reduction to stack on the next wulven ally summoned.

Neutral

(To Be Continued)
    Last edited by Umbra7; 05-19-2016 at 04:20 AM.
    Shadow of the Night
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Seeker of potential, hidden from the light
    Teacher from the darkness, the Shadow of The Night
    To you I bring my knowledge, hidden from plain sight
    And write it in my blog, bringing new things to the fight

IGN: BP Umbra Nox

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    As for vigilant wisp, reducing health or augmenting to 3cc his ability sounds like a huge shift for him that means nobody won't use him any more. I don't think it is overpowered, its meek limitation fits perfectly. Probably, but I would not happy of this, its attack can be reduced to 0 and removed meek

Inviato dal mio ONE A2003 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Misher - SourceCode Architect Of The Multiverse
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Deck Bulder Web App

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Cheers for this. Give me a prod when you're done and I will read it all.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree with most things you said.

I do feel V Wisp needs the 5 health though. 3cc ability activation wouldn't be that bad, but I never considered V wisp to be a problem homunculi card, that would go to E Wisp if any of them.

Flame Spitter does ability damage to hero, still not sure this buff is out line considering that fire decks don't take running as a given.

Feasterling may have avoided the nerf hammer but for the life of me I cannot understand why. It is far stronger then a lot of the cards that were nerfed, but alright.

I have reversed opinions on Devotee and Forgotten Horror. I think Devotee can use a slight buff like removing meek (though I'm aware this is unlikely) and leave Horror as is. My main reasoning for this is while both seem about right on paper Devotee is competing for the 2cc slot with a key ally. I do agree though that any buff to devotee should not come in the form of his ability, as it is already quite good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk