Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member The MiddleAgedNerd's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Mage decks are not just for "noobs"

Just played a game against a loest. Very nice control deck and i cpuldnt get a leg up. He hardly used any burn and just controlled me the whole way. Almost like a priest would. It showed an excellent well thought out strategy.

There has been talk about mages are for "noobs". This is not true.

First of all the word noob is insulting. Lets call them new players from now on please.

Throughtout the history of this game there have been 3 main decks. Rush mid range and control with various aspects and degrees between them. None of them are "noob". I can beat a "noob" rush just as well as a "noob" rush can beat me. Its all about matchups, strategy and a little luck.

When zalashard was running all over the place and everyone was screaming he is op i would win 8 out of 10 matches agaisnt him with victor. 4 brax soldiers. Easy. Shut him down cold.

So in the future can we please not call these deck noob deck. Perhaps a rush mage is a little more forgiving to a new player. But just because you can get it to 300 doesnt mean its a noob deck. Its well built. Ive seen many many rush mages totally fall in thier face flat and useless.

Its about being polite to new players and keeping the game civil. Loest, eledawen and majiya can have very succesful mid range and light control decks as well. The loest that beat me used one fireball one lithning and one nova. Hardly burned me down.

People that read this forum donsonin an effort to improve thier game and get better. Not tomhave passive aggressive insults slung at them. Thanks.
    Middle Aged Nerd
    Protector of The Dragon Orb
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My own decks are made of fairy-dust and magic beans, so it definitely hurts my Internet-feelings when someone calls my deck noob.

I wish we could all just be nice to each other....but it's the Internet after all, and so it's probably equivalent to wishing for world peace, or saving the whales, or stopping global-warming...or some other stuff that I don't understand...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The old rush & burn decks are noob friendly because they've got a low learning curve there are relatively few tough decisions, or ones that require knowing how other decks work. Your strategy is simple. That doesn't mean that skilled players can't make good use of them. Indeed, regardless of the learning curve of a deck, there is always some room for player skill to matter. Sure some decks seem to play on autopilot, but there will always be a difference between a very skilled player and a novice with the same deck.

Control mages have always been possible, and always somewhat suboptimal. They do take a lot of skill to play well, and even then are a bit limited compared to other control style decks, but they can be fun.
    Last edited by bobrossw; 04-14-2016 at 02:21 AM.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Just for clarification, noob is not the same as newb, with the latter being the term for newbie.

The main reason Rush, or well high Aggro, in SE or any TCG in general is hated is the typically low learning curve and the fact that you might be already half dead by the time you're setup. Understandable. Can also be used to cheese some victories away from a higher skilled player, and people don't like losing to pure cheese.
    Last edited by Daemon Rayge; 04-14-2016 at 02:40 AM.
    I like my weapons how I like my music. Heavy and metal!
    -Mordekaiser

Writer of Falseblood Cultist and Thriss Crucible flavor texts.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yes all points are true. However inwould just loke to see insults lobbed around to stop. I personally love playing a rush mage at times. Its fun. That doesnt mean im a noob. And inconsidee the term insulting and i would like to see these insulting comments stopped. Im not naming name or pointing fingers but speaking in broad general terms.
    Middle Aged Nerd
    Greatness Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Rush is an archetype that has a very specific goal and gameplan that ultilize small,cheap cards to achieve its goal. That means the deck builder has to make good use of every slot in the deck and perform with very limited resources to compete against a vast number of decks instead of throwing all the good stuff the card pool has to offer in

While there are times they just drop the " 1-2-3 " and the opponent draws zero answer, there's more to playing rush/aggro than most people give credit for

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by G.P View Post
    Rush is an archetype that has a very specific goal and gameplan that ultilize small,cheap cards to achieve its goal. That means the deck builder has to make good use of every slot in the deck and perform with very limited resources to compete against a vast number of decks instead of throwing all the good stuff the card pool has to offer in

While there are times they just drop the " 1-2-3 " and the opponent draws zero answer, there's more to playing rush/aggro than most people give credit for
    Exactly. Not a noob deck. While it is easier to pilot than say a fat zhanna there is still thought that goes into it. Plus the whole noob deck title is insulting in my opinion
    Middle Aged Nerd
    Greatness Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    it only has that particular title because it it easy to pilot for new players. and it can get them to win more which translates into playing more which is good for the game. and playing it over and over will get them higher than normal ratings for a new player, it wont get them to 300+ maybe 270. any deck can get yout to 250 except a complete crap deck. but it takes skill to get above 270 with a good deck, it takes a lot of skill to get to 270 with a so-so deck.

i dont mind the word noob unless it is just being used for an insult. i do prefer to use newbie.
    lil dark riding hood Queen of A1 Evolution in Theory
    Alliance One recruitment thread
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    SE Card Price Guide - My Deck Building Guide
    all my decks together
    owner of Earthen Protector flavor text
    Caitlyn™: collecting rage quits since 2011

Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There is a big difference between a newbie and noob IMO. Newbie is just a new player, it's not an insulting term. Noob is not necessarily new, but a person that is not willing to learn, they make the same mistakes over and over again, but instead of trying to improve their game they usually prefer to complain about bad match-ups, bad luck, bad cards etc...
    So, rush mage seems like a good deck for a noob, like you said it's forgiving to mistakes, can make a noob to win more skilled players, doesn't require a lot of thinking when played and is really depending more on luck that skill. But this doesn't mean that skilled playes and newbies can't play this kind of decks, of course.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Who said that mage is for noob?
    IGN: BP Striga

Mystery of Snowy Owl
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn