Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    @Demnchi - I don't think anyone said it was only for money, but it will be the primary reason even though they do not acknowledge that at all.

@Maximont, with regards them citing lowering barrier of entry for new players:

1) If there's an assumption that new players want a playset, then the barrier of entry is still incredibly high for only 2 years worth of cards (I never completed Classic and GnG with £200 dumped into it and a fair amount of grinding) and the ongoing cost will be huge. This is not about making it cost-effective for new players to compete.

2) If there's an assumption that players don't need a playset to compete, then they don't need to rotate anything because players can pick up cards they need from any set by crafting them. It will be no cheaper crafting specific cards from newer sets than older sets.

Senior Member The MiddleAgedNerd's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Shadow era is awesome because they are not.money grunbing iap jerks. Thanks to developers. As a result i have paid iap many times tonsupport them becuase they dont MAKE me support them. So thanks gondorian and all other contributors to the best game on thenmarket

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by The MiddleAgedNerd View Post
    Shadow era is awesome because they are not.money grunbing iap jerks. Thanks to developers. As a result i have paid iap many times tonsupport them becuase they dont MAKE me support them. So thanks gondorian and all other contributors to the best game on thenmarket
    yeah definitely a customer friendly freemium model. I agree with Demnichi - other games cornered themselves into impossible design spaces by not bothering to balance cards well. People complain a lot about soon(TM) in shadow era, but the flipside of that is that SF in the last year or so was very fun and diverse without having to add a whole new set of cards. I think the plan for LL's partial release will be a nice step forward to get closer to those regular releases like hearthstone has without losing the balance and complexity that makes SE so superior.
    Last edited by bobrossw; 02-05-2016 at 05:42 AM.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Kinda like MTG Standard
    I like pie, Shadow Era, and you!

Senior Member The MiddleAgedNerd's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Se is far superior. I tried hearthstone. Mechanics of gameplay are good but money grubbing to no end.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hearthstone is for bi-polar teenagers who ate too many crayons as a child.

Shadow Era is for refined intellectuals, such as myself.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @jacqui: Yeah, I definitely understand that business is business, I wasn't trying to vilify them for trying to make money, but there's a difference to me between making money, and being greedy and manipulating your buyers. My concern was more for the quality of the game (though the HS grind is abysmal).

@Kosmiker: A different league indeed. An awesome one.

@Armoek: I've come to the same conclusion about Wulven/SE. They may not be perfect, but the amount of community involvement with testing new sets/cards, along with a very friendly level of grind and freebies, they can't be beat. Sadly I haven't been able to kick in much, but I did help 2 friends buy in for $20 each.

@Gondorian: I probably worded it poorly, partly in butthurt rage over the change, but you really sound like you grasped what I was getting at in my post. And thank you a thousand times over for the comforting confirmation that it's not something that'll happen to SE.

@Demnchi: Thanks for reminding me about Buzzard being rendered useless. Like Gondorian, you definitely got what I was saying there. I agree that Blizz will be able to generate more sets faster, but that goes back to the whole collecting/set-pimping aspect and wanting to get hella paid.

@Maximont: One of the reasons I actually left MtG was due to the block structure and how, with larger sets, I had to sink insane amounts of money to keep up in tourneys if it was via packs, or buying crazy expensive singles. It bordered on dangerous addiction for me. I'm a collector at heart, so the back catalog does have some importance to me, I'd just rather it didn't just keep getting more expensive (crafting via dust), especially as a digital product.

@The MiddleAgedNerd and bobrossw: Yuuuuuuup! They really aren't dicks about it which in a market saturated with microtransactions, is shocking. And appreciated.

@NestMegatron: Yeah, basically. But back in the day, once I realized how much I was sinking in MtG to stay relevant, I had to quit.

Thank you to everyone who joined in this discussion and all the views put out there. You are all yet another part of why the SE community is leaps and bounds beyond other online games I've played.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If SE rotated cards / expansions I quit playing, which is why I never got into Hearthstone or Magic the Gathering. There are plenty of other companies and games that are successful without forcing their customers to buy a new product. If you want a card game specific example look at Yu-Gi-Oh or Poke'mon. Their old expansions and cards are still valid and both are very successful and on going franchises.
    Member of Alpha Predator
    Brotherhood. Honor. Glory.
    IGN: AP BlackAngel

free online tournament with prizes

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

New Hearthtone changes (relevant to SE's future)

Set rotation isn't just something that encourages business, it helps keep power creep to a minimum because you get an almost clean slate each for each time the rotation would happen.

Do I think this would be good for shadow era? Yes, I actually do. Not yet, but in the future when there are more sets, things will become harder to balance because of the quantity of things to balance against, meaning development times could potentially be longer.

Do i think it will happen in shadow era? Probably not. As lucrative as it would be both development and business wise, wulven seem very dedicated to providing the experience players want, and we all know set rotation for the majority of people is a turn off.
    Last edited by Ross013; 02-05-2016 at 07:13 AM.
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

New Hearthtone changes (relevant to SE's future)

If rebalancing is needed in SE, I think restricted errata is better than set rotate. Until release of next 2 or 3 sets, cards are set in stone. After release of next 2 or 3 sets, errata is applied to follow up the new mechanics and concepts. After the errata, the cards remain the same for next 2 or 3 sets again. I hope Kyle to consider it.
    Last edited by Mukuzin; 02-05-2016 at 09:21 AM.