Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Does the deck you start with matter much?

Happy Sunday all. This is probably the newbiest of questions but here goes. I downloaded this game in around mid 2015 and played a bit of PvE before getting busy with life and some other games. I'm interested in playing a bit more since it seems like a chill game and I've never really played card games so the general newness of the genre is exciting.

So, when I started I picked Eladwen because I recall reading a guide at the time that said it was a good all around deck that could be played competively without a lot of $ purchases. So I go to play a game today and I swear her special ability is different than it was a few months ago (tho who knows maybe I'm just remembering wrong).

Anyways, it got me to thinking, since most games run through a variety of patches why wouldnt SE? So before I get too much farther into it is this an OK base pack to keep going with? Does it really matter much over the long run? I only experienced a few levels so it wouldn't be much loss if I had to make a new account if it would behoove me.

Fwiw I read through innobys guide earlier today which (from Sept) suggests picking Eladwen and pupstomping the CPU to level. I'm fine with that if it translates to skill/deck performance against real players which would be the goal a bit down the line. Id rather not bother with the deck if it won't teach transferable skills or result in a competitive deck though. And, like I said, I'm a complete newb to the genre so if I'm talking out of my butt let me know that too.

Thanks all for any news advice!
    Last edited by Shotticus; 02-01-2016 at 04:09 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi Shotticus, welcome to the game

I have a couple of answers for you:
    1. Eladwen's ability hasn't changed in years, so this part you are misremembering
    2. The guide you read was correct, she is definitely one of the easier and better heroes to start the game with. The basic deck still isn't very strong though and absolutely not good enough to stand a chance in PvP. You will have to make a lot of adjustments over time, but it shouldn't be a huge hassle to grind for better cards since human mage decks are on the cheaper side. Look up some basic rush Eladwen builds on the forums to get an idea what cards you need.
    3. Playing vs. the AI unfortunately won't teach you the game well. AI decks are really outdated and they play with only the slightest remnant of strategy (90% of the time they will just attack you directly and ignore everything you do). So to get better, you will have to jump into the deep end of the pool sooner or later. I'd recommend farming until you have made your deck a bit stronger and then just going for it. Don't be discouraged by losses, just try to have fun and learn

Best of luck on your journey!
    The Kind Jester of the Court
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolsParsley View Post
    Hi Shotticus, welcome to the game ...
    Best of luck on your journey!
    Awesome info. Thank you kindly. Wasn't expecting such a quick reply. Ill head onward with innobys strategy guide and see how it goes while I check out some of the other beginner matieral on here.

Out of curiousity, how possible is it to grind out decent cards in a reasonable amount of time? My only experience with card games are Hearthstone and an Android ninja game that was like half cards, half Candy Crush gem swipe (for the life of me I can't recall the name). Both were decent fun but they were extreme grind/quickly pay2win and I tired of them after about two months.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    hi and welcome!!
    The first Hero just need be playable, Eladween is probably the best for start.
    About the Farm for decent cards in a reasonable amount of time you have too many alternatives, you should check THIS POST

I think that Meltdown and a "Starter" pack of Shadow Crystals is the more fast way for get a competitive deck, then in wuick match rated you will get gold just by play for can work in your future decks.
    ▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓔⓢ █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁
    ---------------------------------IGN:Mirrodim------------------------------

Here!! Arcania Expansion !! come and share you ideas!! suggest balanced fixes!! comment you favorite idea!! lets do a virtual edition with 200 cards of user's creations.

Senior Member The MiddleAgedNerd's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You can watch the free videos to earn 5 shadow crystals. When you get 100 buy elemental pack and sell. Youll get about 2500 gold. Do thay a couple tines and olay against ai and youll have a good rush mage in no time. You can also support the game buy some shadow crystals that way. The article that is linked abovve my post is exclellent.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    the 20$ speical they often run woudl be a great place to start, get a sleeve/playmatt some SC and buy LL packs, they are the most valuble now because of increased gold cost, and then try to put together competitive deck.
    TJ Burn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Greetings and welcome to SE, the guys above have covered your question pretty much. But if ya really wanna chat w the players, join telegram.
    Look in the new players section for the telegram thread.

Or pm me if ya want

Welcome to SE, the last CCG you'll ever need!
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome dude. Seriously please do NOT grind vs the AI. The AI is dysfunctional in this game, and won't in any way mirror a real opponent. I understand that you might hesitate, but just dive in even if you don't have the cards for a competitive deck yet. You might get an early beating, but so what?...you get your xp/gold...and you learn,...and most importantly it's the fun part of this game. Trial by fire, dude. Goodluck!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Play, that is the best advice!
    Best PvP, not PvE! Maybe at beginning to get into the base mechanic of the game, but thats it!

And please don't waste your sc with playmats and card sleeves at beginning like mentioned above! That is just cosmetic!
    Evil Mastermind, Overlord of screaming Corpses
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Season 30 finished Rank 14
    Season 31 finished Rank 7
    Season 32 finished Rank 66(6)
    Season 35 finished Rank 27

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Peavey View Post
    And please don't waste your sc with playmats and card sleeves at beginning like mentioned above! That is just cosmetic!
    i said use crystals on LL packs, nowhere did anyone suggest spending ur sc on mats/sleeves, i mentioned the 20$ offer comes with a sleeve/mat, perhaps you where confused.
    TJ Burn