Close

Senior Member The MiddleAgedNerd's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

lost lands review for v3.11. please keep it positive and constructive.

So here is my input so far from lost lands. Chime in please and lets help developers tweak as needed. I know there really care about our input.

The good
    1) best artwork of the game so far. Excellent.
    2) some nice variety to mechanics. I personally like meek and seek. Locations may be better ome day but is a great concept. Some of them are really fun while others are blah.
    3) i like the options with shadow energy good for a secondary use. Like if your garth and facing solo mage or solo gwen. You can use shadow energy for something else.
    4) some nice attachments making vess a little more fun. Relentless savagery is awesome.
    5) encouraging players to mix wolfs with non wolf heros. Nice concept

The bad

1) very very very stale meta. Perhaps its just because the really good players havent shifted the meta yet but its garina lance in 30 percent of the matches tons of twilights and lots of vess.
    2) some specific classes need better draw engines. Wariors have a great set it and forget it with blood frenzy. Priest have glass chalice which is amazing. Hunters gambit is pretty damn good and amazing with vic. However mages have nothing that good. Tomb of knowledge is too slow. 2 resources constantly is to draining and you get too far behind. They need a set it and forget it. Ill gotten gains is an examole. Once you drop it it works for you for free. Same with antimatter. If i spend the 3cc to use it that means im not dropping a gargoyle. Wolfs mages and elementals need a better more reliable draw. Sac lamb and troll are good. But a set it and forget it is needed.
    3) the old cards are struggling a bit. If you have a good quality deck from shattered fates you probably wont do as well. This is a general statement that is not allways true. But some of the tier one or tier two decks just fall flat on thier ass now.
    4) location location location. Great concept. Needs overhaul. Major overhaul. My gut instinct says having a random one show up on turn five might be a blast. Would wreck some games but would be a ton of fun. But it might also make the game unplayable. The problem i see is trying to make the opponents ability good while at the same time making an advantage for the guy taking up deck space. If im gonna use 3 or 4 slots for something it has to help me and hurt my opponent. I think that is the problem. But if it helps me to much has haste essentially and cost nothing to cast then it really hurts my opponent. I think ine of the biggest problems is opponent cant react at all. You drop it and then immediatly get a benift sometimes a huge ine. A turn cooldown like 98 percent of the allies in the game wpuld be good. That way i can react when you drop something nasty. Thats why lance is so good. Garina then huge fatty with stealth and haste. Lots of haste in your face. I think the haste aspect to locations is the biggest problem.

Thats all i can think of now. Hopefully this thread will garner some positive feedback as well.
    Last edited by The MiddleAgedNerd; 01-30-2016 at 09:15 PM.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    There's more bad than good there. How can you call it positive?

I know what you meant though. Thanks for the honesty and the time you spent writing this up.

I do think the upcoming 3.12 changes will alter a lot of things (for the better), so this review might be somewhat unfair for what's about to come. If you don't mind, I'd like to edit your title to mention the version of the game you are reviewing.

Senior Member The MiddleAgedNerd's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    There's more bad than good there. How can you call it positive?

I know what you meant though. Thanks for the honesty and the time you spent writing this up.

I do think the upcoming 3.12 changes will alter a lot of things (for the better), so this review might be somewhat unfair for what's about to come. If you don't mind, I'd like to edit your title to mention the version of the game you are reviewing.
    Of course. I didnt mean for there to be more negative. I dont feel that way and the more serious players dont either. The biggest negative is the stale meta but i think that gets fixed in time. I love this this game and is top 3 on app store. And ive tried alot of games. Im trying to give suggestions and feedback thats all. Overall i love lost lands. I think once the meta settles down it will be the best expansion to date

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Allies that can exile Locations and/or take control of locations.

...that's what my fortune-cookie said at the restaurant I was at last night.

plo
    I do agree with most of what you MiddleAged, specially that LL art is awesome, and I also agree that the old cards are struggling s bit, which is something that bothers me a lot. One of the things I dislike the most about Lost Lands is that the cards are getting progressively stronger through time, and the old cards are losing their value.

There are cards from the earlier sets, CotC which are extremely strong: Focused Prayer, Tidal Wave, Blood Freenzy, Supernova, Fireball, Crippling Blow, Ill Gotten Gains, Jasmine, Ankle Breaker, and From DP: Champion of Irum, Ironhide Karash, Sacred Firewalker, Banish, Howlfang. However, I feel that in general cards from SF, specially LL, are stronger than cards from CotC, and DP.

It is not the case that the new cards are stronger than the cards from CotC by themselves, because the losts of the new cards only work if you are using a specific tribe or style of play. What happens is that the new cards have very stronger synergy with themselves, and they do not synergize so much with older cards.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    well, this is only part 1 of 3 and was more focused on human and shadow tribes and showcasing locations. we have class tribes and other class cards coming and human/shadow cards as well and new items, weapons and armor
    lil dark riding hood Queen of A1 Evolution in Theory
    Alliance One recruitment thread
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    SE Card Price Guide - My Deck Building Guide
    all my decks together
    owner of Earthen Protector flavor text
    Caitlyn™: collecting rage quits since 2011

Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I enjoy the new cards very much to a limited degree.
    I like the art and the idea of the new cards very much, but I find that it in making the abilities and attributes for the new cards was a little overboard.

I think the new cards are so different from the other releases and it creates to much of an imbalance in the heroes deck pool.
    The combinations along with so much haste and seek, etc has already been discussed.
    To many cards now to create super powerful homunculus decks as well.
    Also to many free ways to draw cards for nothing. Direct damage without equivalent cost, things like that.

The older cards were left behind from this imbalance.

Example:
    Mages can use homunculus, which is in itself not a bad thing. The problem comes from the fact that you can buff them so fast and strong that not there super powerful in use with mages who also have spells to just kill allies etc.

The hero balance for mages I found has always been: Mages lots of casting damage, weaker allies. this is not the case anymore.

I feel most of the cards released need to be all scaled back a bit, and evened out.
    The imbalance doesn't come from any one card but from that fact that combos can happen so quickly that it ruins the game.
    Since the release of the new set I have to say that my enjoyment of this game has fallen drastically. At this time I will no longer be spending any money on this game any further for decks etc... until a lote of this imbalance is fixed. Just not as fun anymore.
    Matches over in eight turns I find is no fun.
    Last edited by Fristar; 01-31-2016 at 04:33 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fristar View Post
    I enjoy the new cards very much to a limited degree.
    I like the art and the idea of the new cards very much, but I find that it in making the abilities and attributes for the new cards was a little overboard.

I think the new cards are so different from the other releases and it creates to much of an imbalance in the heroes deck pool.
    The combinations along with so much haste and seek, etc has already been discussed.
    To many cards now to create super powerful homunculus decks as well.
    Also to many free ways to draw cards for nothing. Direct damage without equivalent cost, things like that.

The older cards were left behind from this imbalance.

Example:
    Mages can use homunculus, which is in itself not a bad thing. The problem comes from the fact that you can buff them so fast and strong that not there super powerful in use with mages who also have spells to just kill allies etc.

The hero balance for mages I found has always been: Mages lots of casting damage, weaker allies. this is not the case anymore.

I feel most of the cards released need to be all scaled back a bit, and evened out.
    The imbalance doesn't come from any one card but from that fact that combos can happen so quickly that it ruins the game.
    Since the release of the new set I have to say that my enjoyment of this game has fallen drastically. At this time I will no longer be spending any money on this game any further for decks etc... until a lote of this imbalance is fixed. Just not as fun anymore.
    Matches over in eight turns I find is no fun.
    Yeah, there are imbalances. But gondorian has his iron heating up, and will be working to smooth out those wrinkles as time passes. The best thing the comunity can do is to keep playing and feeding data, as thats what gets the iron heating up (which I'm aware youve given your feedback on many cards.)

I'm already anticipating 3.12 to work with the new changes. I think I'm going to try and break arthyles pass first, and then go prove twilights still got it afterwards.
    Shadow of the Night
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Seeker of potential, hidden from the light
    Teacher from the darkness, the Shadow of The Night
    To you I bring my knowledge, hidden from plain sight
    And write it in my blog, bringing new things to the fight

IGN: BP Umbra Nox

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Delay of Game View Post
    Allies that can exile Locations and/or take control of locations.

...that's what my fortune-cookie said at the restaurant I was at last night.
    This idea of take control locations like me a lot.
    If our locations are well designed, i think is really more fun change the control vs exile them.
    ▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓔⓢ █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁
    ---------------------------------IGN:Mirrodim------------------------------

Here!! Arcania Expansion !! come and share you ideas!! suggest balanced fixes!! comment you favorite idea!! lets do a virtual edition with 200 cards of user's creations.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Now about the LL 3.1.1

The good:

1) IS THE MOST FUNNY INNOVATION IN THE SHADOW ERA HISTORY :v
    I just love this new set :3

2) He has shaken the classic Meta-Game, a thing that had never happened before. And personally I think this is extremely important and positive for the future of the game.

This should happen with each new set.
    And about if this killed the old decks? im not agree. The clasic decks still competitive, but is normal the people don't use them for now, cuz tribes are a new toy, and the new toys are seductive. (Zhanna goddes, Loest Rush, Millstalker still beating tribes :v )

3) Tribes.
    This is a concept that i like it tooo much. Non-WUlven Heroes, or the evident differences in playstyle of Homunculus, Twilights, Ravagers, etc makes the game really diverse, and im sure, with time, this will do the quick match really funny and unpredictable cuz give 380218302183012830123 new possibilities to each Hero.

4) Locations.
    Even when i think we need work in clean the concept of dual cards (and a flip buttom for prevent break our neck xD) this card has been a sucess (from my point of view) adding a new variable in the strategy.

The bad

1) Excessive influnce from the subjective community in the balance process

It's true that i really love how Wulven give us space and time for give feedbakcs and CONSIDER our opinions in the develop of the game. Probably is the best difference between Shadow Era and other games. But I think with LL they are been too much condescending.

Too many Nerf request taked at same time It makes the adjustment process seem more driven by the desire to please most users complain that align with a design plan for the new edition with decisions based on statistics and ideas aimed at strengthening the development team.
    Twilight balance is a perfect example, where the balance apparently has been done card by card, post by post, and not in the synergy of the tribe.
    So a masive drastical nerf in the 4 new polemic cards has been announced at same time, and every one byself ia a big change that was enough for balance the tribe and open a new test period, and then, continue the balance changes.

2) A lot locations which is not enhanced yet.

3) With LL, we have 4 different sets, and i still waiting the chance for spend my shadow crystals in premium booster packs with specific set cards for get new foils. Q_Q
    Last edited by Arcanes; 01-31-2016 at 09:52 PM.
    ▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓔⓢ █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁
    ---------------------------------IGN:Mirrodim------------------------------

Here!! Arcania Expansion !! come and share you ideas!! suggest balanced fixes!! comment you favorite idea!! lets do a virtual edition with 200 cards of user's creations.