Close

View Poll Results: How often is seeking a specific type of card preferable to drawing one card?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seeking is usually better

28 70.00%
  • Seeking is a bit better

8 20.00%
  • They're about equal

4 10.00%
  • Drawing is a bit better

0 0%
  • Drawing is usually better

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The power of seek

How powerful is seek compared to draw? I'm curious how others stand on this issue. Is drawing a card from your deck preferable to seeking a card out of a specific class of cards? I suppose it may depend on the situation. If you've got an ability that lets you seek a specific type of ally, but you're in a situation where you need an ability, seek might not help you. Then again, if you've built your deck for it, seek may provide you all the answers you need. Now that people have gotten a chance to play around with seek a bit, I'm curious: If you had a card that could either seek a specific type of card or draw a card from your deck, how often do you think you'd choose each of those?

The specific type of seek may matter, so consider the following (based on the types of seek in the game):
    If you could choose seeking twilight allies in a twilight deck or drawing, how often would you do each? 50/50? 75/25 etc.
    Homunculi in a human homunculus deck?
    Items under 3cc in an Aramia deck?
    Artifacts in an aldmor deck?
    Attachments in a deck built for that?
    Aldmor allies?
    Last edited by bobrossw; 01-21-2016 at 05:32 AM.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Seek = you get what you want/ need.

Hands down better than a random draw.
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip thorp View Post

But seek is always constrained - so you're usually picking from a sub-section of your deck. i.e. you will definitely not be seeking that Tidal Wave you need this turn, but you might be able to draw it. Given that - you still think seek is generally better than draw?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    But seek is always constrained - so you're usually picking from a sub-section of your deck. i.e. you will definitely not be seeking that Tidal Wave you need this turn, but you might be able to draw it. Given that - you still think seek is generally better than draw?
    Sure Seek is limited in a few ways, - you can only draw from that part of your deck that contains the desired card, you can theoretically only do that 4 times per card (4x in deck assumed) you might only be able to seek allies or items or artifacts. But that's pretty darn powerful. Take Aldmor tribe, I just played a guy who used Seek w Scout to pull an Avatar, so that's a huge fatty , pulled by a 2-3 cc weenie for 1 or 0 SE (I forget but it's cheep) Same turn , the guy renewed some of his resources and Sought an artifact, little later it was a Cheiftan artifact combo. Everything that tribe can do in one shot , by Seeking.

Yes I still think Seek is more powerful, given a well planned deck. I mean you get what you want/ need, not a random possibility of what you want.

Ofc in the long run, drawing an extra card every turn ain't bad! (Hello BF)
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip thorp View Post

Mostly this.

Enough allies do many interesting things seeking an answer is not hard.

If you want numbers assuming seeking and drawing are the same cost I'd say 4:1 in favor of seek assuming your deck is built for it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think the aldmor deck would fall to pieces without seek, it works on comboing allies and items into a weird style that works out really well for certain heroes(garth and moonstalker in particular).

The templar ally that pulls attachment is super good also, pulling out blood frenzy, a buff attachment or draw attachment just when you need it is so useful it's hard to think of a better 5 drop unless you need brax to shut down haste.

The ability to pull the right ally for the job is godlike in twilight deck with the ally spread they have there is often an ally solution that hastes onto the board.

Seek in general makes decks that have access to it far to consistent. When you combine it with decent draw engine decks that do not have access to seek drop considerably in terms of their consistency so will be dropped for these decks that seem to always have the answer cards in hand or the ability to pull them out of their deck anytime they please.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Armoek View Post
    When you combine it with decent draw engine decks that do not have access to seek drop considerably in terms of their consistency so will be dropped for these decks that seem to always have the answer cards in hand or the ability to pull them out of their deck anytime they please.
    That's an interesting point - seek is often combined with other draw engines, so it's usually functioning as secondary draw. I suppose once you've already got a few cards coming to you, the math may change on whether you'd prefer the third card you draw this turn to be random or chosen from a specific set of cards. And you do draw one card at the beginning of each turn anyway...so perhaps that's enough chances to get those unseekable cards.

Along those lines there's also the way that seek thins your deck, thus making the other cards you draw less likely to come from the class of cards you've been seeking (since you already drew those).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    the only time that seek is worst than one drawing card is in Meltdown, because seek is often constrained and in Meltdown your deck is built on random.

Senior Member The MiddleAgedNerd's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Or you could have an awful op twilight deck and seek an ally and the draw two cards with that bs scroll and then one with eidelon. If your hand isn't allready to full of course. And then empty your graveyard onto your board. And then give them all haste. Oh my bad this isn't the twilight thread. Sorry bob.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Seek is very powerful ability. Makes deck consistent. For me it should be more costly than standard "draw a card".
    We can compare it to Glass Chalice of Knowing which is pseudo seek (choosing from 3 cards). So activation seek for 2se seems accurate to me.
    IGN: TJ Maskee - Proud member of Team Juggernauts !