Close

View Poll Results: How often is seeking a specific type of card preferable to drawing one card?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seeking is usually better

28 70.00%
  • Seeking is a bit better

8 20.00%
  • They're about equal

4 10.00%
  • Drawing is a bit better

0 0%
  • Drawing is usually better

0 0%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    I don't think it matters whether it's SE or CC, it just needs to be costed appropriately. SE is always used to boost tempo, and that's fine as long as it costs enough SE that it limits how often you spam a powerful effect.
    ofc matters, for Garina maybe u need SE cost for avoid the spam effect, but in seek? seek once and again isn't a problem if you only search a restricted type of ally and you still needing resources for summon it. Seek with cc restrict how many things will u do on your turn.

Pls, try play with homunculus, and compare with aldmors or twilight seek.... Is a lot more "hard" spam the ability with 2cc that with 1 or 2SE.

The real problem i insist is the fast Search and summon... In this case, CC restrict that better than SE.
    And im agree too with Ross, the other problem is the degree of freedom of the ability to seek, isn't the same seek a homunculus, that seek a TIdal Wave
    If the seek still restricted to search only specific cards, in specific builds, i think the balance will be ok.
    ▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓔⓢ █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁
    ---------------------------------IGN:Mirrodim------------------------------

Here!! Arcania Expansion !! come and share you ideas!! suggest balanced fixes!! comment you favorite idea!! lets do a virtual edition with 200 cards of user's creations.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanes View Post
    ofc matters, for Garina maybe u need SE cost for avoid the spam effect, but in seek? seek once and again isn't a problem if you only search a restricted type of ally and you still needing resources for summon it. Seek with cc restrict how many things will u do on your turn.

Pls, try play with homunculus, and compare with aldmors or twilight seek.... Is a lot more "hard" spam the ability with 2cc that with 1 or 2SE.

The real problem i insist is the fast Search and summon... In this case, CC restrict that better than SE.
    And im agree too with Ross, the other problem is the degree of freedom of the ability to seek, isn't the same seek a homunculus, that seek a TIdal Wave
    If the seek still restricted to search only specific cards, in specific builds, i think the balance will be ok.
    that's my point tho - I do play with homuncs. If those SE ones cost a few more SE (like 2 or 3) then they also would not be spammable. They'd be closer to glass chalice of knowing - which is a good card, but hardly broken.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    One thing no one mentioned is that even without any draw seek still increases the odds of seeing what you can't seek for.

For example if I can use seek to find the cards I need I do not need to run as many copies and have more room for other cards. Also every time you seek a card you slim your deck slightly.

Seek also allows for far more diversity without lowering consistency much.

No matter how many cards you draw having many copies of s card is more consistent than only 1-2 with seek that is not the case. So you get decks that can have far more answers and win cons and yet still be more consistent than a normal deck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What if instead of adding it to your hand you put on top of library. That would not provide extra draw but insure your next draw is what you want. It would add interesting interaction with cards that can remove card from library.

Obviously you would need to review some Seek activation cost to balance it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz92zaq View Post
    One thing no one mentioned is that even without any draw seek still increases the odds of seeing what you can't seek for.

For example if I can use seek to find the cards I need I do not need to run as many copies and have more room for other cards. Also every time you seek a card you slim your deck slightly.

No matter how many cards you draw having many copies of s card is more consistent than only 1-2 with seek that is not the case. So you get decks that can have far more answers and win cons and yet still be more consistent than a normal deck.
    that's a good point - aside from thinning your deck while playing, it also thins your deck in deck construction. So for example, General of Unaxio pulling priest combo attachments - you don't need a lot of copies of lingering essence or divine connection, so having him in your deck allows you to have fewer dead draws.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Seek is very much more powerful. And I honestly don't like how much I am seeing it. That's just me
    Nothing to fear but fear itself
    IGN: SpaceGhost

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Even if what you seek is useless, you make your deck one card less and thus increase the chance of getting your dream card.
    IGN KA Wongtinlong or Wongheungwing
    Highest Scoring Player of Seasons 28 and 29
    Favorite hero : Jericho when I use him
    Hero I hate the most : Jericho when others use him
    I have 2 full sets of SE digital cards to prepare for the 2 v 2

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The deck thinning aspect is negligable. Taking one card out of your deck doesn't increase the odds of other things showing up to an extent that is actually noticeable
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz92zaq View Post

Good observation.

And by the same reasoning, one can increase the number of card in a deck without compromising the probability of getting the key cards in the first 5 turns.
    For example, the chance of getting Ember in a 40-card Jericho after the first 6 cards is 4/(40-1-6)=4/33
    Thanks to Leader of Unaxio, the same probability in a 60-card deck is 8/(60-1-6) =8/53 or 4/26.5, which is significantly higher than 4/33.

And even if I have all the attachments I need, I can still seek the redundant attachment cards to
    use them as resources
    reduce the size of my deck and thus increase the chance of getting nonseekable key cards
    make the opponents nervous

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross013 View Post
    The deck thinning aspect is negligable. Taking one card out of your deck doesn't increase the odds of other things showing up to an extent that is actually noticeable
    When there are just 10 cards left, one card thinner can be the difference of life and death.

And because seek comes with reshuffle, if some of the key cards are put in the bottom, seek will significantly increase the chance of getting those cards.