Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Balance Changes in 3.11

Hi all!

Just to confirm these are the balance changes in 3.11. Aside from Garina Road, you can consider all the other changes bonuses which would not have happened so soon without the need to tackle Garina Road.

Obviously, there's a much longer list of potential changes - most of them more complicated than these - but we believe those need longer to justify themselves, whereas we have confidence these simple changes are all steps in the right direction whilst retaining the spirit of the original card.

Nerfs:

Anmor: Garina Road up to T5 (from T4).
    -- T4 was seen as too soon to have so much power for such an easy combo to pull off. We're aware of the ongoing benefit of the card, but we're happy to see that properly tested once there are no longer so many inevitable wins and ragequits from T4.

Lorhon: Twilight Encampment up to T5 (from T2).
    -- This is intended to turn it into a support card for whatever mid-game situation you end up in, rather than early game set-up card to secure a solid mid-game situation in the first place.

Lakmire: Training Outpost up to T4 (from T3).
    -- With some powerful costly attachments in the game already (and more to come in future), T3 was determined to be too soon to allow them to come out via this location.

Rejigs:

Scriptures of the Departed - Ability changed to "When a friendly Twilight ally is killed, Scriptures of the Departed gains +1 durability. 2D: Draw 2 cards."
    -- The major complaint I read about this in the first couple of days of 3.10 was that you could refill your entire hand in a single turn. That's not possible now, but this may end up being a buff due to ongoing benefit if you time it right. We'll need to see how it plays out. Certainly it's now worth getting rid of immediately if you are the opponent, instead of playing a waiting game to try to get more value.

Buffs:

Child of Aldmor activation cost down to 0SE (from 1SE).
    -- It was really strong with the older version of Darklight Apprentice, but that got nerfed, so the original activation cost for Child is now back.

Rest for the Weary - Ability changed to "If there is a location in play, target ally is moved to the top of its owner's deck. Draw 2 cards if there are no locations in play."
    -- This seems to be a fairer ability for the cost and should lead to it seeing more play, which will help with other strong ally situations that come about from the use of Locations (unless that ally has steadfast).

Mount Kazaar Non-controller activation up to 2SE (from 1SE).
    -- Many people remarked that the non-controller side was better than the controller side. With 2SE as activation cost, it's no longer the case that the opponent can match your activation turn for turn without eating into a stash of SE. You also have the ability to time it such that there's limited chance of opponent using their side immediately after the Location has hit.

Feel free to share your thoughts on these before and after they hit!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think making Garina at T5 might just reasonable enough and all of the changes as well. I have yet to see any down side but I am still studying if Twilight Encampment is safe for T5 or T4 it is indeed a good and powerful card that can combo with Luminary so I stick with your idea which is T5 for now. But at the end of the day I think they should be tested out first to see if the changes will make the game balanced.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    T4 would be best.. T5 seems like hatred!!!!

Let them live! or die... however you want to put it

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Lorhon still not balanced... it's best used at t5 forward anyway (with avatar), free draw and still can't be exiled.

Rest for the weary seems better now but it's cost should match the one from garina (3cc) otherwise it's not gonna be worth it (fatty returns to play next turn with cheaper cost).
    Last edited by Kosmiker; 01-10-2016 at 01:45 AM.
    I wanted an image as a signature and all I got was text.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosmiker View Post
    Lorhon still not balanced... it's best used at t5 forward anyway (with avatar), free draw and still can't be exiled.

Rest for the weary seems better now but it's cost should match the one from garina (3cc) otherwise it's not gonna be worth it (fatty returns to play next turn with cheaper cost).
    Rest for the weary is on par with banish. Whike i think 3cc is the optimal balance in order to see more use, banish set the recource cost for the ability too high, so its doubtful that a neutral card will be of lower cost
    Shadow of the Night
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Seeker of potential, hidden from the light
    Teacher from the darkness, the Shadow of The Night
    To you I bring my knowledge, hidden from plain sight
    And write it in my blog, bringing new things to the fight

IGN: BP Umbra Nox

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Sadly darkclaw and bloodfang were finally starting to see some good use, and now theyve been nerfed because of an ELEMENTAL hero. Kinda sad. Was an occasional t3 exaltation really that much of a problem? It seems like such a rare occasion to have wulven traitor t2, and have bkth exaltation and the location on turn 3, let alone having trator survive the turn hes summoned.

Oh well...I'm sure bloodfang and darkclaw will get new toys eventually. Sad to see they got this one taken so quickly :/
    Shadow of the Night
    Greatness, Reborn

Seeker of potential, hidden from the light
    Teacher from the darkness, the Shadow of The Night
    To you I bring my knowledge, hidden from plain sight
    And write it in my blog, bringing new things to the fight

IGN: BP Umbra Nox

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    yeah... but banish might get that fatty if lucky on the bottom of the deck while "RftW" will just delay it for 1 turn... but I'll side with ya about that neutral thing having some extra "value". Speaking for myself, hardly will that card find a spot on my decks (4cc is for the special ones).
    I wanted an image as a signature and all I got was text.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I compare 4cc Rest for the Weary with Bad Santa, Banish and Retreat!.... and still feeling that is a useless card for the cost... now is a exclusive owner draw, that is good... and neutral... but this only draw if no location in play ._. and now is for sure have locations in play in mid-game!!
    maybe would do something with the location in play... like shuffle it or something... the ally effect dont have sense i think with cards like Banish for same cost.. is neutral, yes, but not all calsses (races) should control like banish do it...
    Last edited by Arcanes; 01-10-2016 at 02:51 AM.
    ▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ ⓐⓡⓒⓐⓝⓔⓢ █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁
    ---------------------------------IGN:Mirrodim------------------------------

Here!! Arcania Expansion !! come and share you ideas!! suggest balanced fixes!! comment you favorite idea!! lets do a virtual edition with 200 cards of user's creations.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    interesting turn changes, still not sure ravager location will be worth it but we shall see.

I think Child of aldmor will see way more play.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Interesting changes. I really like these updates changing the meta at least a little and allowing for some new deck ideas to maybe work now.

Keep it up.
    The Paladin of Punxsutawney
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Shadows R Us