Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Sorcerer of Endia and Death Trap

I just witnessed a weird interaction: AP Jacelkos B VS BRK Sentinela

My opponent had a Confluence of Fate, Survivalist and a (face down) Death Trap on board.
    I played Sorcerer of Endia, targeting Death Trap.
    The result was that the trap triggered and killed my Sorcerer.

Now I would have assumed either one of two things:

1) The trap triggers when I cast my Sorcerer and before choosing its target, but in this case I should not be able to target the trap since it has already been triggered and is active

2) The trap would have triggered after I cast my Sorcerer and chose its target, but it did not because the Sorcerer destroy it before. I was assuming this was the case because of SRO (my effects are resolved before my opponent's during my turn).

But I don't think it makes sense that I can target the trap to be destroyed AND that it triggers and kill my ally.
    What's the ruling and / or explanation on this?

Thanks!
    Member of Supreme Legion

We are legion, For we are many
    IGN: SL Jacelkos

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Hi. Currently a trap can trigger while it is in play. At the point of being destroyed, an item does not leave play straight away in case it wishes to respond to its own destruction (e.g. Thriss Assault Plinth), so Death Trap is still able to trigger and kill Sorcerer.

Unless we add a ruling that a trap can't trigger if it has been destroyed and about to leave play - which we have considered - then the current implementation is correct. I'll add it to the list of potential rules changes we are considering. Thanks for raising it.