Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by tman507 View Post
    I definitely applaud the DT for creating a card like Embers that definitely strengthens a formerly very weak hero by giving him a card that very much plays into his ability, wish they could actually make something that works so well for Logan or Ter Adun, lol.

But the fact is, it is very un-fun (if that's a term) to play against. There's really not much way to be able to counter it. Only real way might be with things that can steal cards directly from the opponent's hand, e.g. Cutlass and Night Prowler. Because otherwise it's just, play the card, use SE ability on it, do its damage, return to hand. Nothing I can do against that. It's not like a one-shot ability like Fireball that just goes once and then to the grave, and it's not like a Crippling Blow that I can counter by just removing it with something of my own. Especially annoying when Jericho has Lingering Essence on to heal and accelerate his SE fo
    r future uses.
    I very much agree with uncounterable part. It is played and removed from the board during Jerichos turn so you just can't stop it. Period. Unless you count getting lucky and stealing it
    The Paladin of Punxsutawney
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Shadows R Us

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Do you know how to find poor designed card? By small tiny and long text on it.

Embers and Cutlass for those who don't have time to search.
    IGN: TJ Maskee - Proud member of Team Juggernauts !

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by maskee
    Do you know how to find poor designed card? By small tiny and long text on it.

Embers and Cutlass for those who don't have time to search.
    Cutlass is another one that helps a particular hero by playing into their ability. It is certainly a weirdly designed card IMO, but I actually am fine with Cutlass. It can be annoying to face, but it's at least counterable in the same way as most other weapons, I can still throw my LLN, Smashing Blow, Focused Prayer, etc. at it to get rid of it. Embers just gives me no options to counter it really.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    NPE = annoying and frustrating, thats all i am saying. the card is really fine balance-wise
    lil dark riding hood Queen of A1 Evolution in Theory
    Alliance One recruitment thread
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    SE Card Price Guide - My Deck Building Guide
    all my decks together
    owner of Earthen Protector flavor text
    Caitlyn™: collecting rage quits since 2011

Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Fury View Post
    This. Embers is not an easy card to nerf. It only works in combination with other cards, and by itself has little impact on the game.

As far as NPE is concerned, we have had that for Lone Wolf, with Aetherborn Wisp, Into the Forest, even Cutlass for a time. Those cards were overpowered by themselves, and are very different from Embers of the Just. It's a unique way to play Jericho and the game needs more of that, not less.
    I still find Lone Wolf and ITF very NPE and big cheese cards that can cheat you out of a victory. Especially the latter. As for unique ways to play Jericho, there is always going to be some type of risk-reward or cost to the game health in doing so. I see this style if in abundance as unhealthy. I do not feel that Priests in general should have this type of playstyle, given how super flexible their card pool is, as well as how strong their draw options are as well. Sure, we have stuff like Stalldar that can potentially hold similar cards, but I find the Priest pool has a slight edge over the Elemental pool when trying to keep allies down for the count.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranĝelo View Post
    I agree. The aditional shadow energy essence provides is the key. But I don't think it is a NPE. Yes, it is annoying, but Jericho came to the competitive world because of this cards, so...
    Jericho was actually a strong QM counterpick at one point during DP, since it was full of Amber and Darkclaw Decks, and lacked Mages. Not all Heroes have to be competitive. I am fine with certain Heroes being weaker than others, just as long as they feel usable, outside their niche areas and have a decent, healthy playstyle.
    I like my weapons how I like my music. Heavy and metal!
    -Mordekaiser

Writer of Falseblood Cultist and Thriss Crucible flavor texts.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The thing I've noticed about embers is, a competent player can, and will play around it fairly well. It took me a while to actually make a viable Jericho deck for competitive play, just because I had to come up with a way to not lean on embers too much, because it's just not a solid enough win condition. I think the card would still function fine if the damage couldn't be pointed at the hero, as it's much better used as a control element than a win condition.

As I said in my previous post, I think the only justifiable change would be to make it more usable for other priest heroes, but it should still have some integrity within Jericho.
    Perhaps a change such as; Target ally takes 3 damage and is set ablaze. If embers is targeted and destroyed by its controller, it returns to their hand instead. If that ally is killed while embers is attached, draw a card.

A change like this means it still holds integrity in a Jericho deck, but with a more well rounded control feel, and also opens it up to work for other priests who aren't able to get the upside from destroying it as easily.

I'm not saying this should be the exact change, but something of the like would definitely be the right direction imo, rather than straight up nerfing a card that's used in a small amount of decks
    Ross014 - Intrepid Learner of Secrets
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ember is to Jericho as Thoughtripper is to Serena...nerfing it would take a lot of power away from Jericho.. every hero has a strategy that goes along with it the best and embers goes best with jericho.....and i have been at the receiving end a lot of times..bt it wud suk against a solo deck...den u just hav to sit and the other player if running a solo jericho can do nothing...