Thread: Jar of dirt

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Jar of dirt

Jar of dirt
    2cc
    Shadow ability: attachment
    Attach to friendly undead ally. When that ally takes damage, jar of dirt is destroyed. When jar of dirt is destroyed, target undead ally in your graveyard of cost 4 or less is returned to play.
    Shadow of the Night
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Seeker of potential, hidden from the light
    Teacher from the darkness, the Shadow of The Night
    To you I bring my knowledge, hidden from plain sight
    And write it in my blog, bringing new things to the fight

IGN: BP Umbra Nox

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Kind of difficult to target anything during your opponent's turn.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Honestly the ability is of little matter to me. It's the card name and flavor I'm mainly going for.
    Shadow of the Night
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Could make it random. I doubt the undead are going to care who pops up.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Could make it random like Airact says, or top Undead that fits the cost. Another option would be to make it "when Jar of Dirt is destroyed on your turn", just to make the possibility of having to target on opponent's turn go away, also gives opponent a chance to counter it, although I'd assume you'd just attach it to one of your guys that's already ready to attack and slam it into something to make it take damage.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    yeah targetting on the opponent's turn is a non-starter as far as card design goes. If something triggers on death (or anything that can happen on the opponent's turn), it needs to automatically select targets somehow.

Also regarding balance, I'm not sure - 2cc to get target 4cc or less ally into play seems very strong. I know it seems conditional - you need to meet the rare condition of an ally taking damage - so basically this is going to happen for sure probably by next turn.
    Last edited by bobrossw; 11-01-2015 at 04:04 AM.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    yeah targetting on the opponent's turn is a non-starter as far as card design goes. If something triggers on death (or anything that can happen on the opponent's turn), it needs to automatically select targets somehow.

Also regarding balance, I'm not sure - 2cc to get target 4cc or less ally into play seems very strong. I know it seems conditional - you need to meet the rare condition of an ally taking damage - so basically this is going to happen for sure probably by next turn.
    Yeah, I see the targeting issue. It probably could just be top undead 4cc ally in the deck. However, keep in mind two points.
    1) you'll need an ally in the graveyard, and
    2) you'll need a freindly ally to attach to. If the attached ally is killed, I'm unsure which would happen first actually. Would that ally go to the graveyard first, or would had of dirt activate first. Were the ally to go to the graveyard first, then it would just be brought back after death (assuming its 4cc or under.) Otherwise, you'll need a body in the graveyard to summon. If none are present, then jar of dirt was basically ineffective. However, I'm open to other effects. The key point I was aiming for is that it's something that breaks, and an undead related effect is released upon breaking

Jar of dirt is actually a reference to the pirates if the caribian movies. The jar is meant to hold the heart of Davy Jones. He who holds the heart, essentially controls Davy, and the Flying dutchman. So symbolically, this jar keeps hold of the creature, keeps control of it. When broken, the undead monster is freed, and well, you can see where I want the flavor if this card to go.

With that in mind, any ideas?
    Shadow of the Night
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra7 View Post
    Yeah, I see the targeting issue. It probably could just be top undead 4cc ally in the deck. However, keep in mind two points.
    1) you'll need an ally in the graveyard, and
    2) you'll need a freindly ally to attach to. If the attached ally is killed, I'm unsure which would happen first actually. Would that ally go to the graveyard first, or would had of dirt activate first. Were the ally to go to the graveyard first, then it would just be brought back after death (assuming its 4cc or under.) Otherwise, you'll need a body in the graveyard to summon. If none are present, then jar of dirt was basically ineffective. However, I'm open to other effects. The key point I was aiming for is that it's something that breaks, and an undead related effect is released upon breaking

Jar of dirt is actually a reference to the pirates if the caribian movies. The jar is meant to hold the heart of Davy Jones. He who holds the heart, essentially controls Davy, and the Flying dutchman. So symbolically, this jar keeps hold of the creature, keeps control of it. When broken, the undead monster is freed, and well, you can see where I want the flavor if this card to go.

With that in mind, any ideas?
    Nice concept and connects well with the undead theme.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah. Looks good. Just remove the target clause. Just make it read the top undead ally with cost 4 or less. All good.